Anybody interested in..

The sport of kings.
xtrader16

..posting short recordings of their trades for people to see and discuss. We could post our video of the day good or bad. If you are a bit worried though just post the video of your ladder and nothing else. Maybe a short description of your recording. I will start tomorrow....this might be a load of rubbish but it could be interesting to watch.

If not, feel free to criticise the idea. I'm sure you will watch other peoples videos anyway.
Last edited by xtrader16 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy28

If I ever did this I would have to post mine in the "Where are all the jokes" thread.

I would like to see how others do it tho
xtrader16

As promised this is a video of a race I traded today. I am only just learning how to use the software and export it to YT so bear with me as it is pretty....pretty...pretty....limited.

I got in a bit late at 5.3. I hesitated once it dipped under 5.0 (crossover point) in case it dived into 4.3/4.4.

I then panicked a little bit and only really intended to close out 50% of my stake but double clicked on 5.7. If I held my nerve for longer it would have made £39 @ 6.6.

Finally, I had a small trade on the FAV which added £2.91 to my total making me a mighty £18.30 before the off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcG7b13DR7M

I would have preferred to just post this in the forum but it said the file was too big. Next I will learn how to narrate over the video.
alexmr2

Black traded volume :shock:

Looks ok. Although you misclicked to take 100% profit, I think you had the right idea to take 50% before the crossover and then wait to see if you can get more out of it

It's hard to say much else without a view of what the other horses are doing and the timer etc
wilf

Hey xtrader

Nice vid and thread idea.

Have you tried trading with your ladders reversed? I find it easier to trade with them reversed, but use whatever works for you.

A few things I would have done differently. First of all keep calm and try not to panic. :)

If you're expecting it to drift then putting some money at 5.8 - 5.9 early on to get a good queue position to scale out before the crossover would have been better.
If it hits those prices then you're in a good position and have a bit of room for the trade to breathe, you can then hold on and see if it's going to go over 6.00.

Instead of just dumping the position and taking the green you could've put smaller stakes above 6.00 to finish the trade and get the most out of it.

Good trade though.
jamesg46

I've had a long time bias towards the lay side so I've made an effort to look for backing opportunities of late. Here's one from today... feel free to critique a newbie!

https://youtu.be/A3geXnPE-T8
Realrocknrolla

jamesg46 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:27 pm
I've had a long time bias towards the lay side so I've made an effort to look for backing opportunities of late. Here's one from today... feel free to critique a newbie!

Can’t criticise that.

20% return on investment.

👏👏👏
jamesg46

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:54 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

Can’t criticise that.

20% return on investment.

👏👏👏
I knew a keen eye would be on that.
jamesg46

jamesg46 wrote:

My thoughts after watching this back are that I left a bucket load of opportunity on the table.

I don’t know if through some subconscious thought I exited at 4.7 (I have a lay bias so normally I would probably be looking for a bounce on this) but if I would normally be looking for a bounce then why would I not of done the same this time. Mentally I must of thought my job here is done or something, but I remember watching this at the time and seeing the resistance building at 4.7 & 4.8 - I actually had the conversation in my head at the time.

To sit and watch it bounce back up to 6 is a criminal offence. I had plenty of room to open a trade in the opposite direction with little risk of going negative. I feel this is a bit of a ram raid style trade where I left with only half the goods.

I suppose in hindsight is a wonderful thing.
kerza

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:19 pm
jamesg46 wrote:

My thoughts after watching this back are that I left a bucket load of opportunity on the table.

I don’t know if through some subconscious thought I exited at 4.7 (I have a lay bias so normally I would probably be looking for a bounce on this) but if I would normally be looking for a bounce then why would I not of done the same this time. Mentally I must of thought my job here is done or something, but I remember watching this at the time and seeing the resistance building at 4.7 & 4.8 - I actually had the conversation in my head at the time.

To sit and watch it bounce back up to 6 is a criminal offence. I had plenty of room to open a trade in the opposite direction with little risk of going negative. I feel this is a bit of a ram raid style trade where I left with only half the goods.

Thanks for posting your video, it's nice to see peoples different trading styles. You are definitely a lot more patient than me, it's something I'm working on. Don't beat yourself up about the bounce, you got a great return on the trade you did do. I traded the drift on the fave in this race and completely missed the move on the runner you traded.

Do you mind if I ask why you'd chose 4.7 as your closing trade when you did, and if it didn't reach that price what you would have done? I tend to scale out too often, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
jamesg46

kerza wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:30 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

Thanks for posting your video, it's nice to see peoples different trading styles. You are definitely a lot more patient than me, it's something I'm working on. Don't beat yourself up about the bounce, you got a great return on the trade you did do. I traded the drift on the fave in this race and completely missed the move on the runner you traded.

Do you mind if I ask why you'd chose 4.7 as your closing trade when you did, and if it didn't reach that price what you would have done? I tend to scale out too often, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
I don’t mind. I’ll go through my whole thought process from start to finish.

When I opened the market the first thing I looked at was the drift on the fav (& normally I’d be all over it) but recently I’m making a conscious effort to break my lay bias. I noticed the fav had hit resistance at 3ish and if it broke through that I knew it would likely continue it’s drift. The runner I chose to trade had already traded below it’s current price, bounced and found support around 6 (you can see this in the volume nodes, they tell the story). So if the fav breaks resistance and continues it’s going to lend me a helping hand, if it didn’t then I know I would have to exit. As it happened it did break through and I got the helping hand I needed. The reason I exited at 4.7 is because that’s where the bottom of the traded range was, if it didn’t reach my order I would very possibly held until it had come back to my open position where I would of cut the trade.

I’m not so much as beating myself up over not catching the bounce but rather making a mental note of it so I’m aware.
kerza

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:45 pm
kerza wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

When I opened the market the first thing I looked at was the drift on the fav (& normally I’d be all over it) but recently I’m making a conscious effort to break my lay bias. I noticed the fav had hit resistance at 3ish and if it broke through that I knew it would likely continue it’s drift. The runner I chose to trade had already traded below it’s current price, bounced and found support around 6 (you can see this in the volume nodes, they tell the story). So if the fav breaks resistance and continues it’s going to lend me a helping hand, if it didn’t then I know I would have to exit. As it happened it did break through and I got the helping hand I needed. The reason I exited at 4.7 is because that’s where the bottom of the traded range was, if it didn’t reach my order I would very possibly held until it had come back to my open position where I would of cut the trade.

I’m not so much as beating myself up over not catching the bounce but rather making a mental note of it so I’m aware.
That was good of you to share your whole thought process. I've still to watch my recording back of this market, so I'll look out for this move against what I was doing. It's interesting that you would've left the trade open until it reached your entry price if your closing order hadn't been matched - I would have ended up scaling out. I definitely need to work on my patience! :)
jamesg46

kerza wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:14 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
kerza wrote:

That was good of you to share your whole thought process. I've still to watch my recording back of this market, so I'll look out for this move against what I was doing. It's interesting that you would've left the trade open until it reached your entry price if your closing order hadn't been matched - I would have ended up scaling out. I definitely need to work on my patience! :)
I’ll often scale into trades. I have different stakes setup on different keystrokes so depending on confidence in something continuing I’ll often take a starting position and sell half after 4 or 5 ticks, wait for a pullback and then enter again through the break of the last high selling half after a few ticks before fully exiting. I haven’t traded today so I’ve not got any recordings but I’ve got a decent example where I was doing this exact thing yesterday and it ended up a loss so when I’m home tomorrow I’ll post it up.
kerza

jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 pm
kerza wrote:
jamesg46 wrote:

I’ll often scale into trades. I have different stakes setup on different keystrokes so depending on confidence in something continuing I’ll often take a starting position and sell half after 4 or 5 ticks, wait for a pullback and then enter again through the break of the last high selling half after a few ticks before fully exiting. I haven’t traded today so I’ve not got any recordings but I’ve got a decent example where I was doing this exact thing yesterday and it ended up a loss so when I’m home tomorrow I’ll post it up.
I sometimes scale in, but most of the time I enter with my full stake. I've always scaled out of my trades though, taking around a third to half out after 3 to 4 ticks and letting the rest run if the conditions remain the same. I also often wait for a pull back to enter but hadn't really used them for adding to a position until recently. Thanks, that'll be interesting to see your recording tomorrow.
jamesg46

kerza wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:04 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 pm
kerza wrote:

I sometimes scale in, but most of the time I enter with my full stake. I've always scaled out of my trades though, taking around a third to half out after 3 to 4 ticks and letting the rest run if the conditions remain the same. I also often wait for a pull back to enter but hadn't really used them for adding to a position until recently. Thanks, that'll be interesting to see your recording tomorrow.
I found out a long time back that I tend to act upon instinct without a methodology. I see something & I don’t wait, investigate or see if my theory starts to take shape, I’m just in. Strange because literally within milliseconds I’d have come to some conclusion so for me I’m better off scaling in, least that way my impulsive behaviour is managed effectively within my risk.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”