Traded range reversal or continuation??

The sport of kings.
Brovashift

Hi,

Im only a few months into my sports trading journey so the number of markets Ive experienced are limited. Started around Ascot time I think.

This week I have just got to grips with scalping, after identifying a directional bias. Before doing this I couldn't scalp to save my life, having more success swinging maiden races, and most recently focusing on Class 1 races.

I few times this week I have been lucky (or unlucky) enough to be presented with some nice setups where the 1st & 2nd or 2nd & 3rd favs have been at the opposite ends of their traded ranges and looked like the perfect opportunity to scale a few small orders in; one on the last price of the range, one outside this price, and one inside, hoping to catch an avg best price and trade a reversal back into the previously traded ranges, looking for confirmation from the other selection.
Every time I have tried this this week, prices have repelled eachother even further in a continuation of the move. I dont panic as I was fairly confident this was a temporary blip before the reversal... but every time it took off into the sunset.

Is there a way to identify earlier what the price is going to do? Should I have waited to see where the money was coming in before entering my trade? Or should I have waited, and entered at the edge of what I thought was the temporary blip, so lessening my loss and shortening the time where I know I am wrong. (Ah I like that)

Is this just Autumn/Winter racing?

Or is this just trading? You try try try again, managing risk, until Boom... you catch one for a nice big reversal?
Peter makes it look so easy in the videos, or are the videos a bit like those amazing Basketball trick shot videos where theres 500 misses but we just see the one where they make the shot! :lol:

If anyone's got any pointers Id be very grateful :) Thanks

Rob
ShaunWhite

Brovashift wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:52 am
Peter makes it look so easy in the videos,
You'd make it look easy too if you'd done almost everyday for 20+yrs. ;)
Realrocknrolla

Brovashift wrote:
Hi,

Im only a few months into my sports trading journey so the number of markets Ive experienced are limited. Started around Ascot time I think.

This week I have just got to grips with scalping, after identifying a directional bias. Before doing this I couldn't scalp to save my life,
having more success swinging maiden races, and most recently focusing on Class 1 races.
That is your answer right there! Scalping isn't for everybody!

I few times this week I have been lucky (or unlucky) enough to be presented with some nice setups where the 1st & 2nd or 2nd & 3rd favs have been at the opposite ends of their traded ranges and looked like the perfect opportunity to scale a few small orders in; one on the last price of the range, one outside this price, and one inside, hoping to catch an avg best price and trade a reversal back into the previously traded ranges, looking for confirmation from the other selection.
Every time I have tried this this week, prices have repelled eachother even further
in a continuation of the move.
Remember trend is your friend

I dont panic as I was fairly confident this was a temporary blip before the reversal... but every time it took off into the sunset.

Is there a way to identify earlier what the price is going to do? Should I have waited to see where the money was coming in before entering my trade? Or should I have waited, and entered at the edge of what I thought was the temporary blip, so lessening my loss and shortening the time where I know I am wrong. (Ah I like that)

Or is this just trading? You try try try again, managing risk, until Boom... you catch one for a nice big reversal?
Peter makes it look so easy in the videos, or are the videos a bit like those amazing Basketball trick shot videos where theres 500 misses but we just see the one where they make the shot! :lol:

Rob
Brovashift

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:15 am
Brovashift wrote:
Peter makes it look so easy in the videos,
You'd make it look easy too if you'd done almost everyday for 20+yrs. ;)
Only 19.5 years to go then :lol:
Brovashift

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 am
Brovashift wrote:
Hi,

This week I have just got to grips with scalping, after identifying a directional bias. Before doing this I couldn't scalp to save my life,
having more success swinging maiden races, and most recently focusing on Class 1 races.
That is your answer right there! Scalping isn't for everybody!

Every time I have tried this this week, prices have repelled eachother even further
in a continuation of the move.
Remember trend is your friend

I dont panic as I was fairly confident this was a temporary blip before the reversal... but every time it took off into the sunset.

Rob
Ye I thought scalping was definitely not for me, but after implementing a directional bias my strike rate has been 70% this week, so Im coming round to it slowly. Ive only been using £10 stakes to test the water and build confidence.

"The trend is your friend"... yes! Thats going onto my check list 👍🏼. The trade that caused me to make this post was actually trending strongly, but I saw the setup and placed my orders.... then checked the charts...! My orders were filled as I was looking at them and then it was a case of 'buckle up, its gona be a bumpy ride' lol 🐴

I think I need to stick to one stake size per session/strategy as well, because twice this week Ive got over confident, doubled & tripled my stake size, then the next loss completely wipes out any profits made. Ends up being a break even experience day lol.

7th October 2021 mantra - The trend is my friend :)
Realrocknrolla

Brovashift wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:14 am
Realrocknrolla wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 am
Brovashift wrote:
Hi,

This week I have just got to grips with scalping, after identifying a directional bias. Before doing this I couldn't scalp to save my life, That is your answer right there! Scalping isn't for everybody!

Every time I have tried this this week, prices have repelled eachother even further Remember trend is your friend

Rob
Ye I thought scalping was definitely not for me, but after implementing a directional bias my strike rate has been 70% this week, so Im coming round to it slowly. Ive only been using £10 stakes to test the water and build confidence.

"The trend is your friend"... yes! Thats going onto my check list 👍🏼. The trade that caused me to make this post was actually trending strongly, but I saw the setup and placed my orders.... then checked the charts...! My orders were filled as I was looking at them and then it was a case of 'buckle up, its gona be a bumpy ride' lol 🐴

I think I need to stick to one stake size per session/strategy as well, because twice this week Ive got over confident, doubled & tripled my stake size, then the next loss completely wipes out any profits made. Ends up being a break even experience day lol.

Good stuff
MobiusGrey

Brovashift wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:14 am

7th October 2021 mantra - The trend is my friend.... until the bend at the end ;)
alexmr2

Pre-off markets do whatever the f they want, which gets frustrating if you are looking for one size fits all

All the technical indicators may point to a trade but maybe someone knows something on that race so the market completely changes in the last 2 minutes

Any horse can continue or reverse, it's up to you to choose your entry and exits and develop the precise perceptual judgement required to execute them efficiently
Tetras

Brovashift wrote:
Hi,

This week I have just got to grips with scalping, after identifying a directional bias. Before doing this I couldn't scalp to save my life, having more success swinging maiden races, and most recently focusing on Class 1 races.

Every time I have tried this this week, prices have repelled eachother even further in a continuation of the move. I dont panic as I was fairly confident this was a temporary blip before the reversal... but every time it took off into the sunset.

Rob
It's hard to say without watching a video of each trade, because it depends on the situation, but potentially all those things you mentioned are important. I assume you're aware that e.g. the traded ranges of a race in a weak meeting, 10 minutes out are practically worthless 2 minutes out. The time between races is very important too, even in the strongest days. If you look back at the trades where the trend just kept going, you might notice something. It's far more likely to continue if it's started raining, or there's not much form, for example. I'd also be very careful scalping just before the horses line-up prior to hurdles/fences, because the leader(s) often break their ranges at this point.

If you're scalping you can't afford to wait it out, but if it's necessary to change your approach is hard to say, if it's costing you a lot of money then it would seems so.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”