Police and air traffic control intervene after drone spotted at Newcastle

The sport of kings.
Euler

Drone operators who were flying near Newcastle airport during racing on Friday could face prosecution after being interviewed by police.

Air traffic control contacted police after a report from the pilot of a light aircraft that the unmanned aerial vehicle was flying unusually high.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... tle/515504
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:45 am
Drone operators who were flying near Newcastle airport during racing on Friday could face prosecution after being interviewed by police.

Air traffic control contacted police after a report from the pilot of a light aircraft that the unmanned aerial vehicle was flying unusually high.

Could be the beginning of the end for the drones.

Bet Angel continues to have the best/quickest In-Play information available...
Naffman

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:01 am
Euler wrote:

Surely not many racecourses that are close to an airport, imagine they'll just avoid Newcastle and continue with the others, racecourses have no power.
wearthefoxhat

Naffman wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:13 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Euler wrote:

Surely not many racecourses that are close to an airport, imagine they'll just avoid Newcastle and continue with the others, racecourses have no power.
True.

If the govt bring in legislation of sorts, it tends to be a broad brush approach.
Dallas

Naffman wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:13 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Euler wrote:

I've recently gotten into drones and begun flying them myself so have a good understanding of the laws and regs around them

Ironically despite Brexit the drone laws are 6mths into a 2 year transition period where they are being aligned with EU laws!
From what I understand this has benefited UK drones users compared to the previous complex regs we had here and gives them more freedom

Basically everything now goes on the weight of the Drone, with an 'A2 CofC' certificate (which I recently got) you can fly anything up to 4KG, the drones in this category are way more than enough for track siding

CAA regulations say you can't fly within 5km of any airport without their authorisation (btw Newcastle racecourse is around 1 km from the start of the approach end of the runway so about as dangerous as you can get for flying a drone in) but for courses outside that there's nothing stopping you providing its being done within other drone guide lines ie, within VLOS visual line of sight of the pilot and its not causing a danger to anyone

In the US they do have separate laws where temp no fly areas are put up around sports venues on match days - that's probably the way things will go here but that won't be a CAA regulation it will be separate legislation that venues or broadcasters are going to need passed so they can can request airspace is restricted at certain times ie, 500m no fly zone around a track during these hours on this day.

Similar to how airborne activates like paragliding competitions etc currently do, although they can't have the airspace fully restricted they can only have a caution notices put on the space they are in to warn other users of their activity
Dallas

Air Space around Newcastle
Airspace.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emmson

My hometown making news in all kinds of ways recently. :D
rik

wearthefoxhat wrote:

For Horse racing??
wearthefoxhat

rik wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:29 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:

For Horse racing??
The In-Play trader gives a visual presentation of the race. Can be set for 20ms, global settings run, one click lay or back.

https://www.betangel.com/in-play-trader/

IPscreen.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimibt

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:51 pm
rik wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:29 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:

For Horse racing??
The In-Play trader gives a visual presentation of the race. Can be set for 20ms, global settings run, one click lay or back.

https://www.betangel.com/in-play-trader/

IPscreen.png
whilst true, i know from watching the odd race back in the day, sometimes the odds don't actually marry up to the actual position that the runner is occupying. in some ways, the odds (and therefore the runner position in IPT) is dependent on the real chance of the runner maintaining their virtual position, as opposed to their actual order. just an observation...
Shaung89

Dallas wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:49 pm

Airspace.JPG
Qualified Air Traffic Controller here (albeit a few years out) if you ever get any questions!
Dallas

Shaung89 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:27 pm
Dallas wrote:

Airspace.JPG
Qualified Air Traffic Controller here (albeit a few years out) if you ever get any questions!

Thanks, that's very handy to know and no doubt I'll have the odd question from time to time (would of had a few when I was doing my A2 CofC) but i'll be sure to drop you a message next time some arise.

As i'm getting further and further into this in addition to the actual flying of the drone (which I can do very comfortably) I'm really enjoying learning all about other stuff like getting a good understanding of weather, ie, forecasts and patterns etc and also rules around aviation in general
Derek27

Shaung89 wrote:
Dallas wrote:

Airspace.JPG
No doubt you had your Betfair market screens next to your radar display. :)
weemac

Having watched every episode of Aircrash Investigation, I must be the leading aviation expert here.
Shaung89

Dallas wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:42 pm
Shaung89 wrote:
Dallas wrote:

Airspace.JPG

Thanks, that's very handy to know and no doubt I'll have the odd question from time to time (would of had a few when I was doing my A2 CofC) but i'll be sure to drop you a message next time some arise.

As i'm getting further and further into this in addition to the actual flying of the drone (which I can do very comfortably) I'm really enjoying learning all about other stuff like getting a good understanding of weather, ie, forecasts and patterns etc and also rules around aviation in general
No worries.

Was one of the best bits of the course for me... My wife finds it a little weird that I can name the clouds but i'm sure it gets her a little excited when I show her the 'altocumulus lenticularis' cloud - that's what I tell myself anyway!

Happy to help with airspace NOTAMs, restrictions etc but there are already a lot of useful tools online.

Shaun

Return to “Trading Horse racing”