The fat fingers thread

The sport of kings.
megarain

I think its bad practice to move chunks from Betfair and bank regularly.

So, to reduce the chance of monster stuff up, I normally u park the money in a long-term market, v far away from the true odds.

People do make mistakes. The morality of it, is questionable.
jamesedwards

megarain wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:45 am

So, to reduce the chance of monster stuff up, I normally u park the money in a long-term market, v far away from the true odds.

I thought you might say that was why you parked money in this way. I have been worrying about the security and fat-finger risk of keeping a high cash balance in BF and might start to do something similar myself.

From a morality perspective I would sleep easy. Without your £10k sat at evens the unfortunate backer would still have blown their money, just at an even lower value price.
ShaunWhite

jamesedwards wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:32 am
I have been worrying about the security and fat-finger risk of keeping a high cash balance in BF and might start to do something similar myself.

It's a good idea to park excess cash in your poker wallet if you're worried about cock ups. But I like Mega's idea about using it to bait a few hooks.
Euler

I park it in the Poker wallet, but hadn't really thought of using it this way. Neat idea.
weemac

Re parking, if you were to hit back instead of lay by mistake on the website, or your mouse slips a fraction as you enter the lay on the ladder, then bang - you've lost it all. Most likely what happened to the poor individual who lost the £30k.
Kai

megarain wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:38 am
I was lucky enough to have got this. I had parked 30k on the market, offering a few teams at 2.0, when they were 20/1 etc.

Had quite a shock when it was matched (and settled). I would have canceled the trade for a small fee in Bf had contacted me.

PHOTO-2018-08-11-15-21-48.jpg
That's clever, although the money should be safe on an Arsenal lay no matter the price for years to come 👍
Euler wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:05 pm
I park it in the Poker wallet, but hadn't really thought of using it this way. Neat idea.
Good to know, thought about using either the Poker or the Exchange Games wallet as it seems convenient but was unsure if there was any downside to it.
megarain

To make sure u don't make a mistake, I tend to enter a v low amount first up ..

say u lay 2.44 which u know is a price for 3 quid .. and then once it's in and ok, just raise the stake.
Derek27

weemac wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:39 pm
Re parking, if you were to hit back instead of lay by mistake on the website, or your mouse slips a fraction as you enter the lay on the ladder, then bang - you've lost it all. Most likely what happened to the poor individual who lost the £30k.
It's a bit like crossing the road with a young child versus crossing on your own when you're in a hurry, you just be extra careful. :)
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:34 pm
weemac wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:39 pm
It's a bit like crossing the road with a young child versus crossing on your own when you're in a hurry, you just be extra careful. :)
I'm always extra careful when sometimes placing longer term bets via website, nobody wants to end up in the fat fingers thread the following day :)
Last edited by Kai on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas

megarain wrote:

That's not a bad idea, and in a way much different to buying Premium Bonds
Derek27

megarain wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:38 am
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:35 pm
Euler wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:17 pm
£21k matched on Arsenal evens to win the premier league!
The 21K (only half of it counts as back stake) was placed at 2.0 with a few grand swept up along the way, but was the few hundred traded up to 50 the backer closing his trade?
Capture.PNG
Ok, enough time has passed now.

I was lucky enough to have got this. I had parked 30k on the market, offering a few teams at 2.0, when they were 20/1 etc.

Had quite a shock when it was matched (and settled). I would have canceled the trade for a small fee in Bf had contacted me.

PHOTO-2018-08-11-15-21-48.jpg
That's some (late) Christmas present you got there. :D
megarain

I think a lot about this stuff, which is probably not good for me.

My general maxim in life is that we only win from the mistakes of others .. which can be a bit brutal.

To even it out, I have made plenty of mistakes of my own.

2 episodes stand out.

1. Backing the whole field at 1.01 for 200 quid (oops)

2. Trying to reconfigure a left click mouse to right-click which meant lays went in as back, and vice versa. (The mouse didn't make it).
LeTiss

megarain wrote:

I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks, but I'm sure I recall you being quite dismissive of people who operate in the markets looking for fat fingers, or misfiring bots
megarain

I do object to trap bettors who are little more than vermin.

This was not an attempt to fool anyone .. I just wanted to tie up the funds in a (fairly) liquid long-term market, for self-protection.
jamesedwards

megarain wrote:

A warning flag for anyone who is thinking of doing this.

A few days ago I tucked away a large amount of balance to the "safety" :lol: of Tottenham at evens to win the Premier.

I've only just realised loads of my trades have been failing because the money sitting there took me right near my enforced Betfair exposure limit! I've had to move it all to 1.01 now to reduce my exposure, so I look like one of the vermin :(

Return to “Trading Horse racing”