Can Betfair see my stops!?

The sport of kings.
Brovashift

Hi all,

Just wondering if it is possible for betfair to see where stops are placed or likely to be placed, as when I use them they always seem to get hit.

I could be placing them just too tight for the market conditions, but have tried widening stops and then Im usually completely wrong and price goes off in the other direction after hitting my stop. Seems to be quite consistent, so am just wondering if I am consistently unlucky each time, or if there is some similarities with e.g. CFDs, which I know are synthetic products created by the broker who can see stop placements and run them for quick profits.

I seem to be doing better when just using mental stops, as long as I keep up the discipline to act. lol

TIA
Derek27

Brovashift wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:01 pm
Hi all,

Just wondering if it is possible for betfair to see where stops are placed or likely to be placed, as when I use them they always seem to get hit.

I could be placing them just too tight for the market conditions, but have tried widening stops and then Im usually completely wrong and price goes off in the other direction after hitting my stop. Seems to be quite consistent, so am just wondering if I am consistently unlucky each time, or if there is some similarities with e.g. CFDs, which I know are synthetic products created by the broker who can see stop placements and run them for quick profits.

I seem to be doing better when just using mental stops, as long as I keep up the discipline to act. lol

TIA
When you place a stoploss you're simply instructing BA to place a bet once the price reaches that point, so it's really a mental stoploss as far as the exchange is concerned, Betfair or the API will be unaware of if.
Dallas

No they can't, they are stored locally
Brovashift

OK thanks guys.... I blame myself then lol :lol:
Euler

Brovashift wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:27 pm
Maybe turn off that web cam?
Brovashift

Euler wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:34 pm
Brovashift wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:27 pm
Maybe turn off that web cam?
I haven't got a webcam... or a microphone. Dont you know the government is listening (he says sitting here in his tin foil hat) haha :? :lol:
Korattt

Brovashift wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:01 pm
Hi all,

TIA
.. that’s funny as I remember asking that exact question yonks ago
andy28

I had the same issue with a big bet coming in and hitting the stop/loss for a split second only to see it retrace to where I would have been in profit. So I use one of Dallas's automation "Close Trade If In Loss For 10's".
gprice80

I think they can ,it happens too many times to be a coincedence
ilovepizza82

:lol:
I feel like im watching another "The X-files" episode here :)
Trader724

Betfair knows everything you do on their platform. They don't know why you do some things(nobody does, not even you) but that's not important.
Dallas

Trader724 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:46 am
Betfair knows everything you do on their platform. They don't know why you do some things(nobody does, not even you) but that's not important.
They only see the bets/orders once they arrive on there servers, they can't see pending stops, offset bets and bets/orders you've created a rule to trigger later or manual bets you are thinking about placing in the future - until you actually trigger/place them and send them to there servers.
ilovepizza82

Trader724 wrote:

:D So true
Derek27

gprice80 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:11 am
I think they can ,it happens too many times to be a coincedence
Markets are so volatile, you could consider it a coincidence if the stoploss doesn't get triggered. I've never used stoplosses but what is described on this thread is nothing more than what I would expect.
Trader724

Dallas wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:22 pm
Trader724 wrote:
They only see the bets/orders once they arrive on there servers, they can't see pending stops, offset bets and bets/orders you've created a rule to trigger later or manual bets you are thinking about placing in the future - until you actually trigger/place them and send them to there servers.
Yes, and we are lucky that they do not know what we do in practice mode, otherwise they would steal our profitable strategies. 😁

Return to “Trading Horse racing”