What automation is good for volatile markets?

The sport of kings.
Brovashift

Hi all,

Been feeling a bit bullied in the markets this week, very volatile with prices bouncing around everywhere. Seems like a lot of big-ish orders being dropped in just to move price, without any real conviction as to a selections chance of winning (or not).
This is my first winter/new year season, so is all new to me, and I remember it being said that after New Year we hit a bit of a rough patch. Feel like I should be sitting out when things get like this, although evening racing seems to go a bit better. Im guessing less participants. But Im wondering if there is some automation that might help me take a few ticks from these volatile markets a little easier. Spending most of the day time practicing my scratch trades technique lol, which thankfully is keeping me afloat.
Ive only tried the trap trade which I do use sometimes, but in these markets Im finding its leaving my exit trade behind and me on the wrong side.
Anything else that might be effective or an advanced trap trade anywhere?

TIA 8-)

Happy New Year All
Anbell

Others might have different advice, but IMHO nobody is trying to bully you. I suspect you need a new way to frame your view of the market
sionascaig

Bouncing about is good no? Maybe try trading the extremes...
Brovashift

I think I know where I have been going wrong. I was looking over yesterdays results before bed last night and saw my best trades were all on the 1st and 2nd favs. Whereas my focus for a while now has been higher priced selections, mainly @6.0 with the aim of growing my bank a bit quicker... which had been working well.

This week however trying to catch a move on selections breaking @6.0 has been extremely difficult, looking for a target near @8.0 but rarely breaking @7.0, maybe taking some off the table but holding too long looking for it to break a little higher and grab another 5 ticks, only for it to come back and force me to scratch or hit a stop just below.
Plus having just wiped out 50% of my bank after laying a winner and losing internet connection and unable to exit in time means Ive had to reduced my stakes as well, and so not being satisfied with profit from 4-5 ticks above 6.0. Been dealing with a greed and desperation mindset after the loss, which I think is slowing subsiding.

Looking at my results yesterday I see the bigger moves and most profitable trades were actually on the favourites, which obviously requires less liability and can scale in to make a larger stake and aim for an acceptable risk/reward trade. I watched the video on order flow last night that gave me the realisation and to look at my results again.
Will change my approach today and see what happens.

Another thing that has been a distraction is using other sources of data i.e. inform racing, BF live feed. Even though both can be useful I find IR gives me a directional bias that is usually wrong, and live feed can make me hang on to trades too long. When I close all these distractions I notice an improvement in my discipline. Live feed only if Im stuck in a position and and want to take it right down to the wire.
Brovashift

Anbell wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:45 am
Others might have different advice, but IMHO nobody is trying to bully you. I suspect you need a new way to frame your view of the market
Thanks 👍🏻
Brovashift

sionascaig wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:52 am
Bouncing about is good no? Maybe try trading the extremes...
Good idea 😉
Derek27

Anbell wrote:
I think Peter coined the phase, being bullied by the market, meaning overreacting and letting the market dictate and push you around rather than being in control. At least I think that's what it means. :)
Anbell

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:17 pm
Anbell wrote:
I think Peter coined the phase, being bullied by the market, meaning overreacting and letting the market dictate and push you around rather than being in control. At least I think that's what it means. :)
True. Good point.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”