A few questions on inplay horseracing?

The sport of kings.
Trade_Green

Good evening,

I'm just wondering could anyone answer a few questions for me please.?

What the general consensus on the max price you would lay a horse in- running at.? The reason I ask this is I've been following a few inplay traders that both seem successful however one trader will only lay to a max of 7.0 while I've seen the other lay horses priced in the double figures.?

Another question I like to ask what people's thoughts are on setting daily targets in terms of stopping at a profit or the opposite and switching off at a predetermined loss.?

Thanks

TG
ShaunWhite

Hi,
Stopping at a certain profit or loss makes no sense. You're either profitable of not and the sun rising or setting doesn't reset any sort of good or bad fortune. The markets don't behave differently depending on how you're doing. What might give you reason to stop would be mental fatigue or the upcoming markets not suiting your style of trading, but when experienced people are on a roll the last thing they want to do is stop.

Max lay in-running? Whatever you want so long as you think it's a good price. The price doesn't matter so long as you stick within your maximum liability. So I wouldn't lay a 1000 horse for a tenner unless they'd pulled the screens round it, but I might for 10p if it's 30 lengths behind in the last furlong and there's 8 in front.

Who are these inplay traders you've been following? You seem fairly inexperienced so what's the attraction of in_running? Do you feel like you're good at race reading? If not then it's a bit of a wild place to start your trading lessons.
firlandsfarm

I agree with Shaun's comments re stopping at a profit or loss. Some 'systems' do just that but like Shaun I ask why, where's the logic in that? Why wait until the next morning to start again? Why should the rest of the current day not turn a profit if your methods are profitable? I can see the emotional (sales) angle but not the logical one.

FYI the most profitable odd at which to lay both pre-off and in-running is 1000! Why? Because it offers the best value (the thinking behind that tests that you fully understand value :) ). Think of it like this ... if there is a real 'donkey' in the race it's true price may be 10,000 but because of Bf limits the max price is 1,000 so when it wins 1 race in 10,000 you only pay out 1,000 and pocket the profit. There has been c.21,000 horses with a BSP of 1,000 but only 7 of them have won so if you had layed each one for £1 you would be c. £14,000 in profit! The problem is even if you have the balls and the funds to do it you still need to get on when the BSP is 1,000 which you cannot guarantee in advance. The stats do not apply to prices of 990 and just below.
Kai

Trade_Green wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 am
Another question I like to ask what people's thoughts are on setting daily targets in terms of stopping at a profit or the opposite and switching off at a predetermined loss.?
It's nonsense tbh, the only limit your edge should have is in the amount of trading opportunities, which you cannot control, or in your laziness which you can
Dallas

Kai wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:10 pm
Trade_Green wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 am
It's nonsense tbh, the only limit your edge should have is in the amount of trading opportunities, which you cannot control, or in your laziness which you can
+1

Return to “Trading Horse racing”