20ms or 200ms refresh rates?

The sport of kings.
Brovashift

Hi all,

I've got myself into quite a few bad habbits on the racing at the moment, not sticking to my plan and bordem trading primarily, feels like I am over complicating things with too much info in my head... and possibly not using the info in the right way, and so have decided to go back to basics for now and redo the academy courses for a refresher.

But I have noticed in those videos that the refresh rate in most is set to the standard 200ms, whereas I usually have mine now set to 20ms.

I am just wondering if there are any benefits to reeiving the data 50 times a second when manual trading, or if I am confusing myself when 5 times a second is more than enough for my little brain lol.
Or if there are certain market types where different refresh rates might be beneficial e.g. slower refresh when volatility is high, and faster refresh when there's less activity? Or should the 20ms just be left for things like automation?

TIA
ShaunWhite

You might like this..... viewtopic.php?t=12934#p109785

Even excluding thinking time you're not going to react to anything in under about 1/4s so it's up to you if you want to see a blizzard of changes you can't respond to. Slowing the refresh time gives your subconscious brain half a chance and you could probably drop it to 1s and still be just as effective.

But if in doubt then do a trial, give yourself 2 or 3 days on say 100ms, 250ms, 500ms, 1s and 3s and see how it feels. You'll need a couple of days on each to fully get used to it. In a fortnight you'll have it tuned to suit you. Months pass by fast doing this so there's plenty of time to ease back, do some pressure free testing and then resume. Not every time day is about making money some are about spending a few quid improving your process.
Brovashift

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:35 pm

Even excluding thinking time you're not going to react to anything in under about 1/4s so it's up to you if you want to see a blizzard of changes you can't respond to. Slowing the refresh time gives your subconscious brain half a chance and you could probably drop it to 1s and still be just as effective.

But if in doubt then do a trial, give yourself 2 or 3 days on say 100ms, 250ms, 500ms, 1s and 3s and see how it feels. You'll need a couple of days on each to fully get used to it. In a fortnight you'll have it tuned to suit you. Months pass by fast doing this so there's plenty of time to ease back, do some pressure free testing and then resume. Not every time day is about making money some are about spending a few quid improving your process.
:lol: :lol: Awesome!!!

196ms but then gets progressivly worse, a lot like the first hour of my trading day of late lol. Very interesting this, thanks.
I have made a lot of changes over the last few weeks, and taken on alot more information on before each trading session which I think is clouding my decision making process and view of the market. The 20ms refresh is just the cherry on the top lol.
I will dial it back and have a play...

Thanks Shaun 👍
Dallas

Brovashift wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 3:39 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:

196ms but then gets progressivly worse, a lot like the first hour of my trading day of late lol. Very interesting this, thanks.
I have made a lot of changes over the last few weeks, and taken on alot more information on before each trading session which I think is clouding my decision making process and view of the market. The 20ms refresh is just the cherry on the top lol.

Thanks Shaun 👍
As Shaun touched on when just starting out most people find slower rates are easier use (hence the software is defaulted to 500ms), but even dropping them to 750ms is a good starting point
Brovashift

Dallas wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:11 pm
Brovashift wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 3:39 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:

Thanks Shaun 👍
As Shaun touched on when just starting out most people find slower rates are easier use (hence the software is defaulted to 500ms), but even dropping them to 750ms is a good starting point
Cheers Dallas, Im spending the day in practice mode today to have a play and try and find my mojo again :)

Return to “Trading Horse racing”