Stiffer penalties announced following whip review

The sport of kings.
blablok

"Under the revised rules, a jump jockey who uses their whip 12 or more times – with 11 strikes or more for Flat jockeys – in any race could be thrown out. In major races, as well as being disqualified, the jockey could also receive a 28-day ban."

Source: https://www.attheraces.com/news/2022/Ju ... 1V,2JBFZ,1
jamesedwards

Presumably any disqualification of the horse will be applied retrospectively and will not affect the winner from a bettor's perspective?
blablok

Who knows...
Also...they're gonna have to hire a person who will be counting whips of each and every jockey :).....well...that should be easy :D
...especially with all of these rubbish camera angles they offer.
ShaunWhite

Takes no account of the severity of the sterring/encouragement. I didn't see anything wrong with a simple "excessive use of..." which embodies the spirit of the rules.
Derek27

jamesedwards wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:01 pm
Presumably any disqualification of the horse will be applied retrospectively and will not affect the winner from a bettor's perspective?
I doubt it, unless you bet on "first past the post".
jamesedwards

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:31 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
They're not going to be able to enforce this in real time. It will be part of stewards review, possibly even the next day.
Derek27

jamesedwards wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:31 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:31 pm
jamesedwards wrote:
They're not going to be able to enforce this in real time. It will be part of stewards review, possibly even the next day.
Punters who backed the second knowing the winner is likely to be disqualified won't be happy, I think they'll be opening a can of worms if that's what they do.
andy28

This is the rule in NZL and I think they work well. Looks like the UK are taking a similar path. There is a jock here currently serving 6 months for hitting the horse after the line and with the grip end of the whip, and quite frankly in my eyes he got off light. How do actions like that help the image of racing?

I have never heard of a race result being changed because of excessive use, they tend to suspend/fine the rider, but it will happen and I am happy with that as you shouldn't be able to benefit when the rules everyone else is following have been clearly breeched.

NZTR DIRECTIVE
Acceptable Use of the Whip Effective 7th October 2019
New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing has considered and issued the following guidelines with respect
to acceptable use of the whip.
Rule 638(3) A Rider shall not: [...] (b) strike a horse with a whip in a manner or to an extent which is:
i (i) unnecessary, or
ii (ii) excessive, or
iii (iii) improper
Without affecting the generality of Rule 638(3)(b), a rider may be penalised if their whip use is
outside of the following guidelines:
Flat Races
Prior to the 100-metre mark in a race, official trial or jump out:
i (i) The whip should not be used on more than 5 occasions.
ii (ii) The whip should not be used in consecutive strides.
iii (iii) The rider may at their discretion use the whip with a slapping motion down the
shoulder, with the whip hand remaining on the reins.
In the final 100 metres, the whip may be used at the Rider’s discretion.
Hurdle and Steeplechase Races
Prior to the 100-metre mark in a race, official trial or schooling event:
i (i) The whip should not be used on more than 10 occasions.
ii (ii) The whip should not be used in consecutive strides.
iii (iii) The rider may at their discretion use the whip with a slapping motion down the
shoulder, with the whip hand remaining on the reins.
In the final 100 metres, the whip may be used at the Rider’s discretion, but not in consecutive
strides.
Notwithstanding the above, it will also be deemed to be unacceptable where a rider uses the drawn
whip:
i (i) when a horse is out of contention.
ii (ii) when a horse is showing no response.
iii (iii) when a horse has no reasonable prospect of improving or losing its position.
iv (iv) when a horse is clearly winning.
v (v) after passing the winning post.
vi (vi) using the whip with the arm above shoulder height.
vii (vii) causing injury to the horse.
JA89

In Australia jockeys can lodge an objection if they think a jockey has breached the whip rules. Obviously you can't be expecting the jockeys to count every whip strike but it has resulted in a number of races being overturned before correct weight is called.
jamesedwards

US racing has just added new excessive whip use rules under which a horse can be disqualified retrospectively with suspension for the rider and loss of purse money for the owner. But yesterday in Belterra the Stewards mistakenly called an inquiry and made a disqualification before the race was posted official from a pari-mutuel perspective and bettors lost out! How angry would you be? :lol:

https://paulickreport.com/horseplayers- ... -confused/
FreeBaseMace

Massive bias as am a trader and want horse racing to continue, but.........

A rule/law like that could not be accepted in human society... Hey yeah, hitting your wife a bit is fine, but do it 13 times on a single ride and you're in trouble!
ShaunWhite

FreeBaseMace wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:28 pm
Hey yeah, hitting your wife a bit is fine, but do it 13 times on a single ride and you're in trouble!
:lol: In trouble or in her good books, it's so hard to tell what they're saying when they're wearing a ballgag.
Jukebox

I think you guys may be onto something...... The horses need a 'safeword'
Derek27

Don't actually try this, but Jim McGrath (former Timeform chairman and Channel 4 presenter, not the race commentator) said, try driving a fast sports car flat out down the motorway weaving in and out of traffic and counting how many cars you pass, when the count how many times you've used the whip rule was first introduced. :)

In my view the rule is absolutely bonkers. You can hit a horse lightly 12 times or give it three full-strength wacks. The old rules where stewards used their judgement without a strict limit, weren't perfect but better, they've gone in the wrong direction. The new rules are merely to appease the idiot public who don't like seeing horses whipped, want it banned, know nothing about racing and don't even realise it's essential for safety reasons like straightening up a horse that veers violently across the field.
ShaunWhite

Jukebox wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:43 pm
I think you guys may be onto something...... The horses need a 'safeword'
Nay ?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”