Just when you thought field sizes couldn't get any smaller!

The sport of kings.
Euler

From @RacingPost

No runners have been declared for the final race at Newbury on Saturday.

The novice contest, worth £6,500, was for fillies aged three and older and had attracted 13 entries on Monday.
wearthefoxhat

Euler wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:38 am
From @RacingPost

No runners have been declared for the final race at Newbury on Saturday.

The novice contest, worth £6,500, was for fillies aged three and older and had attracted 13 entries on Monday.
The smaller fieds are my bread an butter, but not that small!
Hepburn

Why don't the BHA reduce the amount of races to increase the field size?
Euler

Everybody suggested that, even the BHA. Who then went on to vote against, bizarrely!
Derek27

Hepburn wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:18 pm
Long time since I was following racing but the issue was never the number of horses for races, it was the distribution. Novices' chases was a long-standing problem.

I've often wondered if it would be profitable to purchase a 12-year-old maiden chaser and just enter it in races where you suspect there's prize money waiting for the horse that finishes last. It even happens in grade ones. :)
SlippingJimmy

I'd still find a way to back the loser
alexmr2

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:47 pm
Hepburn wrote:
Long time since I was following racing but the issue was never the number of horses for races, it was the distribution. Novices' chases was a long-standing problem.

I've often wondered if it would be profitable to purchase a 12-year-old maiden chaser and just enter it in races where you suspect there's prize money waiting for the horse that finishes last. It even happens in grade ones. :)
How would you get an old banger into grade 1? If it was that easy that you could print infinite profit by buying horses to come last then everyone would be doing it and field sizes would be bigger and there would be a berry book/video/course on it
Derek27

alexmr2 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:54 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Hepburn wrote:

How would you get an old banger into grade 1? If it was that easy that you could print infinite profit by buying horses to come last then everyone would be doing it and field sizes would be bigger and there would be a berry book/video/course on it
Simple. You just enter it. At the 5-day stage if there's 4-5 horses left in then you declare it to run.
Hepburn

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:14 pm
alexmr2 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:54 pm
Derek27 wrote:

Simple. You just enter it. At the 5-day stage if there's 4-5 horses left in then you declare it to run.
Horses lose their official ratings after 9 months of no racing. Minimum ratings to enter a G1 is 80.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”