jump racing

The sport of kings.
sudek

Does anyone know of a website with statistics on how horses jump over hurdles?
ShaunWhite

sudek wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:56 pm
.... statistics on how horses jump over hurdles
99.8% of the time its the front two legs first, then the back two. ;)

Your question is a bit vague, do you want to download it, could you scrape it and what stats do you actually want?

Maybe you can start here - > http://www.adrianmassey.com/web1/pages/racfav.php
sudek

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:38 pm
sudek wrote:

Your question is a bit vague, do you want to download it, could you scrape it and what stats do you actually want?

Im looking for horses from Uk or Ire jump racing that jump well or badly over hurdles.I want to know if they have good speed or poor speed at the moment of jumping.My point is to find the worst jumper and make lay scalps.
to75ne

sudek wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:59 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
sudek wrote:

Im looking for horses from Uk or Ire jump racing that jump well or badly over hurdles.I want to know if they have good speed or poor speed at the moment of jumping.My point is to find the worst jumper and make lay scalps.
you probably need the official form book ........ best go to the racing post shop and buy the relevant pdf.
Derek27

sudek wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
sudek wrote:

I doubt speed before jumping would be a useful variable. All horses slow down to jump.
Trader Pat

ShaunWhite wrote:
I'd love to see the other 0.2% :)
sudek

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:04 pm
sudek wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:

I doubt speed before jumping would be a useful variable. All horses slow down to jump.
I mean the speed during the jump.... during the jump, all horses have a reduced speed, but there are differences when one horse constantly jumps very slowly compared to others. So this means that he is a bad jumper, and you can do lay scalps on bad jumpers during jumps.
Derek27

sudek wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:56 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:04 pm
sudek wrote:

I mean the speed during the jump.... during the jump, all horses have a reduced speed, but there are differences when one horse constantly jumps very slowly compared to others. So this means that he is a bad jumper, and you can do lay scalps on bad jumpers during jumps.
I stopped following horse racing about 5 years ago and never used TPD but I'd be surprised if it or anyone actually times a horse's speed through the air.

Horses jump fences slowly when their tired rather than habitually slow jumpers but hurdles are smaller obstacles that give way if you hit the top few inches so hurdlers so they're jumped much faster. You won't be able to judge a horse's jumping from its speed but maybe there are ratings somebody's compiled from watching them.
Dallas

I've been watching and logging the speed reductions as they approach a jump closely these last few weeks as part of an example I'm working on and can tell you there no noticeable difference between any of them of, any difference would be totally inconsequential

Also Derek has said it's impossible to measure a horses speed while its travelling through the air and knowing when all four legs are off the ground
and of course there is the difference in the reduction of travelling speed between hurdles and NH fences - but what I've also found is there can still be relatively large variations in the travelling speed/reductions even as they jump the same sized hurdles/fences in a race

Then even before starting to look at this in detail I could of told you another general factor to consider when looking at how fast they will approach the jumps (and then slow down to) is the going.
Derek27

On top of that, you've got the fence nearing the top of the hill at Cheltenham that horses struggle to get over and scrap their girths on towards the end of a grulling 3-mile plus chase on heavy ground, and the hurdle coming down the hill that they literally fly over in a fast ground 2-mile hurdle!

If you're looking for an angle for in-play trading I'd suggest starting off with something simple and more feasible, like winners that trade high or losers that trade low. Most traders and botters start off with ideas that don't work but find new improved ideas as they go along, so try not to over-complicate things in the beginning.
Euler

I did some research on this: -

https://www.betfairtradingblog.com/gran ... se-racing/

Some courses have more fallers than others due to a number of factors.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”