£165 lesson learnt....

The sport of kings.
panda32

So was doing some trading, all going well and no losses. Taking small profit from each race, i was up about £12 so far. Go to guardian and load the next race, i saw a opportunity and layed the horse, next thing i hear is..... this event is now in play. Wait, what... its only the same race i just traded and now i am in play with a £50 lay bet. What happens, the horse wins the race and i am now £165 down. :x

I was having a decent week and up about £60 ( i am new at this) Lost my profit and then some....

I guess i am only to blame as i should of looked more closer at the race.
ShaunWhite

We've all done it at one time or another. All you can do is try and think that £165 lesson will save you from a £1650 lesson some day. Just don't try and get it back quick. Maybe even exclude it from your PL and keep a seperate tally for mistakes. But only the ones like this and not all the small ones too. :)

... Maybe have a little mental check list before you trade a race? Time remaining, stake, same race on the vid. Make it a habit and it'll take 2s to do. Risk avoided
panda32

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:19 pm
We've all done it at one time or another. All you can do is try and think that £165 lesson will save you from a £1650 lesson some day. Just don't try and get it back quick. Maybe even exclude it from your PL and keep a seperate tally for mistakes. But only the ones like this and not all the small ones too. :)

... Maybe have a little mental check list before you trade a race? Time remaining, stake, same race on the vid. Make it a habit and it'll take 2s to do. Risk avoided
Yeah thanks shaun. Bit disheartening though... thought i was doing too well. Another test in life i guess to see how i respond.
Derek27

It's always a kick in the teeth when you have a big loss, but it's only a week or month before it drops off your last 7 days/last months totals. :)
goat68

panda32 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:39 pm
So was doing some trading, all going well and no losses. Taking small profit from each race, i was up about £12 so far. Go to guardian and load the next race, i saw a opportunity and layed the horse, next thing i hear is..... this event is now in play. Wait, what... its only the same race i just traded and now i am in play with a £50 lay bet. What happens, the horse wins the race and i am now £165 down. :x

I was having a decent week and up about £60 ( i am new at this) Lost my profit and then some....

I guess i am only to blame as i should of looked more closer at the race.
You could just scale your bet size down and never green up, solves this problem :D
ShaunWhite

Or an auto-hedge bot that's maintaining an SP bet for your liability at any given time? That's my choice. I'm not sure low volume manual trading lends itself to the 'nevergreen' maths unless you've reached a certain level.
Derek27

I suffered a similar fate last night. Laid an under 2.5 market and the market never went in-play. 1-1 final score. Thanks Bumfair!

Return to “Trading Horse racing”