Day of the week affecting strategy?

The sport of kings.
reids1

Hi all,

I've been trialling an automated betting strategy over the past few months - i've turned a small profit with it (2.2% ROI from 437 bets) - whilst doing some analysis on the results I found something peculiar when I sorted the profit/loss by day of the week that you can see below:

Monday: £20.66 (54 bets)
Tuesday: £23.56 (43 bets)
Wednesday: £57.60 (71 bets)
Thursday: -£37.52 (85 bets)
Friday: -£11.98 (72 bets)
Saturday: £8.15 (84 bets)
Sunday: £6.11 (28 bets)

As you can see there is an absolutely massive swing between Wednesdays (£57.60 profit) and Thursdays (£37.52 loss). I'm stumped as to why this could be the case. Could it just be variance? Or are different races put on between Wed/Thurs that could cause a difference (could be the case but obviously i'd have to share my strategy which i'm not willing to do!).

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Derek27

reids1 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:59 pm
Hi all,

I've been trialling an automated betting strategy over the past few months - i've turned a small profit with it (2.2% ROI from 437 bets) - whilst doing some analysis on the results I found something peculiar when I sorted the profit/loss by day of the week that you can see below:

Monday: £20.66 (54 bets)
Tuesday: £23.56 (43 bets)
Wednesday: £57.60 (71 bets)
Thursday: -£37.52 (85 bets)
Friday: -£11.98 (72 bets)
Saturday: £8.15 (84 bets)
Sunday: £6.11 (28 bets)

As you can see there is an absolutely massive swing between Wednesdays (£57.60 profit) and Thursdays (£37.52 loss). I'm stumped as to why this could be the case. Could it just be variance? Or are different races put on between Wed/Thurs that could cause a difference (could be the case but obviously i'd have to share my strategy which i'm not willing to do!).

Any ideas?

Cheers!
If you display those figures in terms of P/L per bet, it wouldn't look so skewed. Wednesday would be £0.81 per bet and Thursday would be -£0.14 per bet. Perhaps the variation lies more with the number of bets placed?

Or perhaps split the time period in two or three pieces and see if you're consistently losing on Thursdays.
Last edited by Derek27 on Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesedwards

Variance cannot be excluded, even with thousands of samples. There are many reasons why days of the week can make a difference to automation. Have a look at the types of races, numbers of runners, size of the markets, frequency of races etc and see if you can find a pattern.
Euler

All my strategies vary my day, week and month. Sports is very seasonal, so you should expect this.

Also, over the course of the week the quality of sport varies a lot.
ANGELS15

Euler wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:24 pm
All my strategies vary my day, week and month. Sports is very seasonal, so you should expect this.

Also, over the course of the week the quality of sport varies a lot.
I've noticed this with my Dobbing strategy. Mondays have poorer results than the other weekdays. The summer Mondays are marginally better but in the winter you often have poor jump cards at places like Newton Abbot and Plumpton etc.
stueytrader

Type of racing on different days I'd agree - for example Saturday races vs Mondays are pretty different beasts!

Not sure I'd quite understand a difference between two different midweek days as much though..... :?

Return to “Trading Horse racing”