Early morning prices?

The sport of kings.
Georget79

Hi folks,

I've seen a trader on YouTube continuously talk about a strategy for value betting and getting decent prices on the horses early morning for value bets (placing at bet connect).

They say the early morning is a good time to get value prices, but I don't know how this makes sense. Because horses drift? Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to know if a horse is unlikely to drift?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Anbell

Georget79 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:28 pm
Hi folks,

I've seen a trader on YouTube continuously talk about a strategy for value betting and getting decent prices on the horses early morning for value bets (placing at bet connect).

They say the early morning is a good time to get value prices, but I don't know how this makes sense. Because horses drift? Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to know if a horse is unlikely to drift?

Betfair is an exchange that operates at approximately 100%, therefore if (at least) one horse is drifting, then (at least) one horse must be shortening.
burntheory

Anbell wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:57 am

Betfair is an exchange that operates at approximately 100%, therefore if (at least) one horse is drifting, then (at least) one horse must be shortening.
It probably depends upon what is considered to be early. I've been gathering data from around 7:30am for the last 2.5 years. On average, best back prices available produce an overround book of 107.42% and best lays are overbroke to the amount of 93.03%. That's a total spread of 14.39%.

Shorter priced runners will tend to be more 'accurate', but there's still a lot of slack in the markets at that early hour.

Other data shows that, on average, only around 2% of total liquidity is in the UK horse racing markets around that time and it's not much better by 11am, where it's around 3%.
Georget79

burntheory wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:24 am
Anbell wrote:

It probably depends upon what is considered to be early. I've been gathering data from around 7:30am for the last 2.5 years. On average, best back prices available produce an overround book of 107.42% and best lays are overbroke to the amount of 93.03%. That's a total spread of 14.39%.

Shorter priced runners will tend to be more 'accurate', but there's still a lot of slack in the markets at that early hour.

Other data shows that, on average, only around 2% of total liquidity is in the UK horse racing markets around that time and it's not much better by 11am, where it's around 3%.
And do you think it's possible to spot value on favourites that early in the morning with a certain degree of probability that the price won't drift?
Kai

Georget79 wrote:
Any advice on how to get up early in the morning would also be appreciated!
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:16 pm
Georget79 wrote:
I've been trying all week. I've got a McDonald's breakfast voucher and it expires tomorrow!
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:22 pm
Kai wrote:
Georget79 wrote:
I've been trying all week. I've got a McDonald's breakfast voucher and it expires tomorrow!
If you've been eating McDonald's for breakfast it sounds like you've got bigger problems! :)
burntheory

Georget79 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:24 am
burntheory wrote:
Anbell wrote:

And do you think it's possible to spot value on favourites that early in the morning with a certain degree of probability that the price won't drift?
I've no idea, but that's not why I posted. I was responding to Anbell's post, where it was said the markets are close to 100% and, therefore, any movements in or out would be mirrored on the other side of the 'book'. The more mature the market becomes, the more valid Anbell's comment becomes.

But the OP was asking about early markets, where evidence suggests otherwise, at least relatively, and how loose the term "approximately 100%" is interpreted. In the early markets, there's more slack to potentially absorb any such mirroring.

Personally, I've got zero interest in whether it's possible to spot value on favourites in the early morning markets.
jamesedwards

Kai wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:25 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:

If you've been eating McDonald's for breakfast it sounds like you've got bigger problems! :)
Probably a porridge voucher from Monopoly. Whenever I win a food prize it's almost always bloody porridge. This time I lucked out with a voucher for 6 nugs which I duly used today as just about to run out of date.
Anbell

Georget79 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:24 am
burntheory wrote:
Anbell wrote:

There is a line of thinking that goes something like this:
1. BSP is very efficient
2. It's difficult to beat an efficient market. Therefore
3. You want to bet in the morning because that is far away from racetime/BSP

Yes, it's possible to spot value on the favourite in the morning, but if you have to ask, you've got a lot of work to do before you can do it.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:25 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Kai wrote:

I finally got up in time the day the voucher expires, but with sausage, bacon, eggs and mushrooms in my fridge and matches about to start, what's the point?
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:12 am
I finally got up in time the day the voucher expires, but with sausage, bacon, eggs and mushrooms in my fridge and matches about to start, what's the point?
Just messing with you, I'm blessed not to have KFC in my area :lol: But get some Greek yoghurt in that fridge 👌

Apologies to OP for derailing the thread slightly

Return to “Trading Horse racing”