Big player, market maker?

The sport of kings.
Crumpets

Watching some guy/gal throwing tens of thousands at the markets. Not just tonight. Sometimes on a couple of horses, sometimes several of them. Pretty much entering on any race type...

Just want to know how people are dealing with this. The main problem i have is that my confidence gets knocked. Somebody bullying the market, holding it in certain places paralyses me. If i enter, they could instantly move the price 6/7 ticks against me and hold it in place; they are big!

I was always under the impression that's there's always a bigger fish, and anybody messing around like that with big stakes will eventually get taken out? Surely the risk to this person in such weak markets makes it highly dangerous?

Just want to hear some thoughts 🙂
Derek27

I've only been trading racing occasionally lately, but as far as I can see, placing massive stakes in weak markets is not just risky but there's little to gain unless you're a punter that actually wants to back or lay the horse for as much as you've put in the market.

Interesting story from Jolly Green. :)

viewtopic.php?p=160729#p160729
Crumpets

Makes me wonder if it's connected to the mid season football break. Can't think of anybody else with that much cash to throw around for a few hours! :D Maybe that Btentford striker...

Yeah it sounds horrible to wish somebody would come and take him out, but he is distorting the markets quite badly. Upsets my charts! :lol: . I'm not convinced that they are leaving open positions though, so perhaps not a punter. Could it be somebody creating movement for the sake of movement? He does love a self match. Like you say, big numbers, big risk...and it only takes one mis-step...

The activity reminds me of pre off footy, where you get the feeling that the 1% are keeping/moving the price on a whim.
Crumpets

Bump

Has anybody traded the horses over the last couple of days? How have people been dealing with this trader?
Derek27

It might be a bored premiership footballer who hasn't been selected for the world cup. Still gets his wages but has nothing to do. :)
Crumpets

That was my first thought, but after re-watching the vids...there was definitely some skill and guile at play. Just seemed inefficient 😂😂 I think they were primarily trading, not punting.

You can tell they caught me out! Hook, line etc
Derek27

I remember in my early days of trading when I traded well before the off, a spoofer had a 5-figure back order, I got fooled and backed the horse for £20 one tick below his order. Shortly afterwards, he cancelled his order and the price went out. I lost about £1.50.

I don't know if it went into his pocket but I hope it did. He probably needs it now. ;)
Crumpets

Haha i've been there plenty of times! Easy win, until the money gets pulled. How long did it take to recoup your loss? :D

Well i think i have solved my riddle. I can relax now.
Archery1969

It’s Peter trying to win some money for his electricity bill. 🤠
Euler

Crumpets wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:19 pm
Watching some guy/gal throwing tens of thousands at the markets. Not just tonight. Sometimes on a couple of horses, sometimes several of them. Pretty much entering on any race type...

Just want to know how people are dealing with this. The main problem i have is that my confidence gets knocked. Somebody bullying the market, holding it in certain places paralyses me. If i enter, they could instantly move the price 6/7 ticks against me and hold it in place; they are big!

I was always under the impression that's there's always a bigger fish, and anybody messing around like that with big stakes will eventually get taken out? Surely the risk to this person in such weak markets makes it highly dangerous?

Just want to hear some thoughts 🙂
You need to define the time frame when this is happening as the market will behave differently at differently times.
Crumpets

Take a look. He's not shy 🤣🤣
Crumpets

Very loss averse chap. Gets taken in play near every race!
Crumpets

....He got defeated at Catterick....then "won" at Ascot. I think he's getting angry.
Crumpets

Please tell me others saw this big backer today :lol: Really weird and aggressive behaviour throughout.

Feel like i'm losing my marbles. Like he was a figment of my imagination.
Euler

He's been around a lot time, or that type of activity has.

Today somebody was slapping in late bets. It looks pretty unsophisticated to me.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”