Hunting for Profit - Other in-play courses

The sport of kings.
Rea_ctor

Hi I have taken an interest in in-play trading and prefer getting some sort of education or guidance before giving it a go. Has anyone here tried the online Hunting for Profit Course and can comment on whether it's worth the money? I know there's also Back for Profit and Carl Trader courses if anyone's tried them also or can recommend a different avenue.

Thank you.
Euler

Back for Profit
I've seen nothing but good feedback from this course and Andrew is an ex Jockey, so that helps as well.

Carl seem genuine, but I've not see any of his content.

Given the massive focus we have put on in-play tools on Bet Angel, I'd be a little surprised if many can survive without using it now. Execution is an edge as well.
Archangel

Euler wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:31 pm
Back for Profit
I've seen nothing but good feedback from this course and Andrew is an ex Jockey, so that helps as well.

Given the massive focus we have put on in-play tools on Bet Angel, I'd be a little surprised if many can survive without using it now. Execution is an edge as well.
Have you ever done stats for the % of matched volume pre-off vs in-play ? I recall looking at it a while back and it was something like 60-40
Rea_ctor

Euler wrote:
Back for Profit

Thanks for the response. All three courses seem to be pretty reputable (using my somewhat limited knowledge). From what I've researched Carl's course is pretty in depth with multiple techniques taught but relies heavily on having quick reactions, I know all in-play trading would require good execution but watching his live trades gives me anxiety almost haha. I follow someone who learnt in play trading from back for profits and says there are days where he doesn't trade at all as there's a specific criteria that must be met for the method learnt, I'm unsure of how many different methods are taught. Hunting for profit holds live courses at hotels in the UK so I'd imagine they offer decent content, just they lack online reviews.

I'll have a look at the in-play tools betangel offer. I think TPD could be very useful for execution, I'm surprised there aren't more reports of people using it?
Euler

Archangel wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:50 pm
Euler wrote:
Back for Profit

Have you ever done stats for the % of matched volume pre-off vs in-play ? I recall looking at it a while back and it was something like 60-40

80/20 and has been for ages for some reason.
ShaunWhite

2 schools, ex-jockey info/tools etc vs quantative methods. Aka a few high margin bets vs 000s of small margin bets. One dependant on fast brain and the other on a fast algo and server. It's just a matter of choosing your weapon and knowing how to use it.

Punting advice has always been seen as an earner for ex-jockeys and they get away with their cv being enough credability, everyone else seems to be judged by how much PC they're paying. But given a choice of ex-jockey or current-data analyst I know who I'd choose. It's 2023 next week and the first generation of traders need to look to what the next generation are doing. This 'ex-jockey' stuff just feels a bit, to use the modern vernacular, TBT.
Euler

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:13 pm
2 schools, ex-jockey info/tools etc vs quantative methods. Aka a few high margin bets vs 000s of small margin bets. One dependant on fast brain and the other on a fast algo and server. It's just a matter of choosing your weapon and knowing how to use it.

Punting advice has always been seen as an earner for ex-jockeys and they get away with their cv being enough credability, everyone else seems to be judged by how much PC they're paying. But given a choice of ex-jockey or current-data analyst I know who I'd choose. It's 2023 next week and the first generation of traders need to look to what the next generation are doing. This 'ex-jockey' stuff just feels a bit, to use the modern vernacular, TBT.
You haven't seen what some of the in-play 'traders' are offering. Literally nothing of value at all, just a high strike rate trading system that loses in the long term.

There seems to be far more people offering advice on how to trade inplay than actually do it. As always, people want to make money from people, not for them.

Caevat emptor has never been a better phrase!
Archangel

Rea_ctor wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:16 am
Hi I have taken an interest in in-play trading and prefer getting some sort of education or guidance before giving it a go. Has anyone here tried the online Hunting for Profit Course and can comment on whether it's worth the money? I know there's also Back for Profit and Carl Trader courses if anyone's tried them also or can recommend a different avenue.

Thank you.
I cant comment on either of those courses as I havent taken them.
But I can tell you that I have been trading in running for a while and that there are tremendous opportunities that you just dont get elsewhere. Race reading is almost more of an art than a science, and the more races you watch and trade, the better you will get at spotting in play value, and the opportunitues it presents. People can obsess about the fastest pictures but if you are trading from home you just have to accept that you will be behind the drones and courtsiders. But thats ok, as its not about the last couple of furlongs, it more about reading the early and middle stages and hunting for that value, which, again, you wont find in pre off markets, once you know what you are looking for...
Rea_ctor

Archangel wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:43 pm
Rea_ctor wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:16 am

Thank you.
I cant comment on either of those courses as I havent taken them.
But I can tell you that I have been trading in running for a while and that there are tremendous opportunities that you just dont get elsewhere. Race reading is almost more of an art than a science, and the more races you watch and trade, the better you will get at spotting in play value, and the opportunitues it presents. People can obsess about the fastest pictures but if you are trading from home you just have to accept that you will be behind the drones and courtsiders. But thats ok, as its not about the last couple of furlongs, it more about reading the early and middle stages and hunting for that value, which, again, you wont find in pre off markets, once you know what you are looking for...
Thanks for the response. That's what I feel from the videos that I have watched. Maybe keeping an eye on 2/3 horses which pre race had low let odds, monitoring and looking for one of them to drift in race and lay them with a tick offset if the risk is still low enough. I bet it sounds easier than it is but with in-play trader and TPD I think you stand a better chance. Like you say, it's about learning to read the race also which would come with time and practice.
Euler

If you learn to race read, inplay makes a lot more sense.

I listened to so many commentaries, I slowly peiced it together bit by bit over the years.
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:45 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
But given a choice of ex-jockey or current-data analyst I know who I'd choose.
You haven't seen what some of the in-play 'traders' are offering. Literally nothing of value at all, just a high strike rate trading system that loses in the long term.
I'd totally agree, and I think the issue starts with learners not grasping the basics. Identifying winners/losers /held up horses or those with an unsustainable lead means very little unless you're also getting value prices. Hence the slow slide to losses.

Race reading is one way to do it if you have the skills, or as I do, achieve that by creating an algorithm to define the 'usual' price move for any given price, for any given remaining duration, in the following X seconds. And then repeatedly offer at (for instance) the 2nd standard deviation with the understanding that a price move of that size in that short duration is unlikely to be representative of the change in real world odds in that time.

This of course is only a possibility with automation but I'm a firm believer that automation should be given tasks that 'one' can't do, and finding ways for it to trade/bet anything anywhere at anytime (aka scale) is always my objective when deciding what strategy to work on.

Ex jocks and traders can help, and it depends on the methods you want to employ, but as I said I'd find more value in being shown techniques for analysing your data and calculating likely fill rates for different margins in various circumstances. That seems to be the essence of finding value at scale which is at the core of making money.

Fortunately we don't all do the same thing and I'm sure we've all got things to learn from each others techniques. It's definately a 3pint lunch topic rather than a few paragraphs and one where there's probably several solutions.

All the best for the new year. 👍
Bubace

Euler wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:46 pm
If you learn to race read, inplay makes a lot more sense.

I listened to so many commentaries, I slowly peiced it together bit by bit over the years.
i think listening to anything the commentators say would be anyone's first mistake :lol: :lol:
Rea_ctor

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:17 pm
Euler wrote:
ShaunWhite wrote:
But given a choice of ex-jockey or current-data analyst I know who I'd choose.

Race reading is one way to do it if you have the skills, or as I do, achieve that by creating an algorithm to define the 'usual' price move for any given price, for any given remaining duration, in the following X seconds. And then repeatedly offer at (for instance) the 2nd standard deviation with the understanding that a price move of that size in that short duration is unlikely to be representative of the change in real world odds in that time.

It seems I have a lot to learn haha. I'm just finding my feet here though :)
ShaunWhite

Rea_ctor wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:28 pm
You find that everyone develops their own style and techniques and there's a lot of different ways to do this. Just remain open minded, learn from everyone and find your niche rather than trying to emulate someone that's spent years working on theirs because you probably won't.

goat68

Rea_ctor wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:28 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:17 pm
Euler wrote:

Q) Think about the fruit market trader in your local town, how do you think he makes money?
A) Customers pay him a good price for his apples :D

Return to “Trading Horse racing”