RTV v SKY v ITV v Betfair video

The sport of kings.
Black Ice

Qn for Dallas please..or anyone else! Talking to a very experienced guy who should know what he'a talking about: re time delay between RTV & Sky. He was telling me that if one is viewing the race through Betfair video ...which i am...that the speeds may vary very slightly course to course but that they are essentially the same? I have always thought that if its a Sky track or ITV that times were considerably slower than RTV,,,,isn't that what the little icon on Betfair vid is telling you? But he is intimating that the feeds are coming from elsewheere (SIS? does it even exist now?) & that it is the different channels that are setting the time delay & so essentially Betfair is setting its own & they are the same. This was a telecon...& I may have misunderstood him.
Could Dallas kill this one please once & for all...as I feel there is confusion...& for those trading IP...which is correct makes a massive difference. Many thanks.
ShaunWhite

BFLV is the quickest, but no video feed is live thanks to the laws physics. As far as I know BFLV doesn't introduce a delay but mainstream broadcasters do because they are required to for live broadcasts where there could be deaths or off camera bad language. It always used to be 7s for things like live phone-ins but with broadcasts now being processed for various platforms that could be longer now.
Black Ice

Many thanks for this Sean...so if I understand you right...you agree with my informant that BFLV is equal across tracks & fastest?? Funny thing is...I always get buffering (1/2 seconds of blackout) with a SKY track....ie Hereford this afternoon....never with an RTV track. Are you able to explain that please? Also...I have seen lots of guys commenting over time about being wary trading IP on SKY tracks because it is so far behind real time....so presume they thought same as me before I had this telecon. Many thanks.
Black Ice

sorry: Shaun!
ShaunWhite

It's not really my field, I haven't seen a race in years because I'm automated. It's just an observation that BFLV is what most people here use as its intended to be used for trading. Sky RTV ITV etc are entertainment channels with no real need or claim to be fast so I'd guess, and you confirm, that they're unreliable.
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:45 pm
BFLV is the quickest, but no video feed is live thanks to the laws physics. As far as I know BFLV doesn't introduce a delay but mainstream broadcasters do because they are required to for live broadcasts where there could be deaths or off camera bad language. It always used to be 7s for things like live phone-ins but with broadcasts now being processed for various platforms that could be longer now.
Are you sure they deliberately delay pics in case of accidents? I know they've always done it for radio talk shows in case a caller loses it and starts swearing his head off but I thought with digital data it's all down to the time taken to compress and decompress the data.
Black Ice

I'm sure Dallas or Euler know the answer to this....& for all those who trade in play...it is very important to put this to bed once & for all!!??
jamesedwards

Betfair live video carries the lowest latency because it is integral to their business model to keep pushing technology as hard as possible towards true live pictures. You can test how far behind their video is using TPD and in my experience it is usually only around 1 sec behind live.

The TV companies have no incentive to tighten latency, as long as they are close enough to live for the average bet-before-the-off punter their job is done.
Black Ice

Excuse my ignorance...but what is TPD?
Crazyskier

Betfair Live Video is certainly not delayed on the dogs. I watch it every day until I reach my target or stop loss limit, and coverage / commentators alternate between the BAGS and SIS races, I believe.

The suspension is usually (though not always) within 1 second of the flag being waved to start the race which as a general rule go off broadly on time. Thus my conclusion that there is very little delay.

Now, this doesn't help for in-play traders as you can't do that on the dogs, however I assume it's the same for the horses which do allow it? Perhaps someone with extensive BFLV horse racing experience can confirm this.

CS
Black Ice

Thanks guys...getting there slowly! :) Seems to be general cosensus that BFLV is fastest with about 1 sec delay from Live....which is very good. But trying to get answer for which of these is correct:
1. Does BFLV have its own independant live feed? (in which case why does it bother to have the TV icon telling you whether its a Sky/RTV ot ITV4 race?)
2. Is it getting the race direct from Sky/RTV/ITV4...but able to negate the Sky/ITV delay? (which would explain the SKY buffering)
3. Are they all getting the feed from some other but the same souce (ie SIS) & therefore are able to impose their own delay .

One of the above must be correct....can anyone give me the correct answer please??
Edbee123

The two media companies RTV and ATR provide their own pictures for their own tracks and sell them to bookmakers.
Racing TV invested in Phenix low latency technology, the stream they provide to Betfair or indeed any bookmaker is around 0.6 seconds behind live. Their tech works on any device PC, mobile, Ipad etc.
ATR tracks are approximately 1.8 seconds behind, their i/r stream is fastest on Betfair via desktop, much slower via other bookies
Euler

Question answered on RTV above

ATR is about 5/6 seconds behind the suspension on BF / pictures on SKY. I'm miles ahead on ATR but can't test the same on RTV.
Euler

Black Ice wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:51 am
TPD is the fastest feed you will get from the racecourse.

https://youtu.be/r8Fp7jga1lg
Archangel

Euler wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:16 pm
Black Ice wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:51 am
TPD is the fastest feed you will get from the racecourse.

https://youtu.be/r8Fp7jga1lg
Is TPD a private business enterprise? Just wondering how they get permission to add their kit to the runners

Return to “Trading Horse racing”