Trading Pre-Race Help

The sport of kings.
Billy Bampton

Hello All,

Long time lurker on here, first real post I've made.

Would appreciate some advice if anyone is happy to share, please.

Have been trading pre-race for the past 3 and a half years.

Around 12,500 races in that time. I (think I) have a fairly good read of what is happening in the market the majority of the time, my green vs red trades for the past 3 months have been averaging around 63%.

One of those months I had a small profit, the other two months have been losing. Needless to say my average loss on those months were greater than my average win.

I have had issues with my discipline over the years, going in play on occasion and blowing up though have not had any huge problems with this for a while. If I make a bad error now I e-mail myself to explain what I did, why I did it and what I should do to eradicate this in future (sounds bonkers, but seems to help).

To hopefully compliment my time on the ladders, I keep a hand written diary/journal, I exercise before trading sessions, I screen record all of my trades and keep records. I listen to a lot of trading podcasts, read the forum, read books and of course have watched hour upon hour of Peter's YouTube videos.

I am convincing myself that the road to profitability isn't too far away and have a real purpose behind wanting to do this, I am just wondering if there is anything else I am missing and whether it is just a matter of being a bit more patient?

Any advice or feedback would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Billy
gazuty

Hi Billy

Welcome - to be a rock and not to roll - viewtopic.php?t=23699

You’ve recognised a lot of the ingredients in your post.

Gaz
ShaunWhite

There's a dozen or more ways to trade/bet so don't get hung up on forcing yourself to do what you thought might work. I had a similar story to yours but after 18 months I figured that was enough, so I binned everything and started a fresh with a new method. Six months later it was working well and that was about 5yrs ago. All I regret is banging my head on a brick wall for so long because I was trying to copy other people rather than doing my own thinking.
Billy Bampton

gazuty wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm
Hi Billy

Welcome - to be a rock and not to roll - viewtopic.php?t=23699

You’ve recognised a lot of the ingredients in your post.

Gaz
Cheers Gaz, I've read this in the past but it is well worth revisiting. Thanks.
Billy Bampton

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:37 pm
There's a dozen or more ways to trade/bet so don't get hung up on forcing yourself to do what you thought might work. I had a similar story to yours but after 18 months I figured that was enough, so I binned everything and started a fresh with a new method. Six months later it was working well and that was about 5yrs ago. All I regret is banging my head on a brick wall for so long because I was trying to copy other people rather than doing my own thinking.
Cheers Shaun, the head banging definitely resonates.

Thinking about your reply maybe a better question in my original post would have been "what tipped you over into profitability?"
Korattt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:37 pm
All I regret is banging my head on a brick wall for so long because I was trying to copy other people rather than doing my own thinking.
that’s a great comment Shaun

Return to “Trading Horse racing”