How?

The sport of kings.
Alexwins2023

I've been practicing trading on the pre off markets for a few weeks now. I've went through all of peters courses and lots of youtube videos learning how to judge where a price is going.

I've picked up on the fact that some markets are more suitable to scalping and starting to get the hang of scalping a bit. I usually back first then lay after if the horse seems to be going in and lay first then back after if the horse seems to be going out as it can just randomly jump sometimes. I've noticed though there's only like 2 or 3 solid races usually where the prices are more stable and less likely to jump too far away.

Most races I've been trying to do swing trading and I've caught a few good ones but a lot of the times it just goes in the complete other direction.

I look for signs of other horses being backed for the one I'm trading to drift
Or look for signs of other horses being weak for the horse I'm trading to steam

This sometimes goes well and its good when I'm right but a lot of the times I'll find these signs and then all the sudden the other horses that were being backed in are now drifting all the way out and the horse I've just layed is steaming in and vice versa

How do you really know if the horses being backed in are just temporarily being backed in or how do you know they are just temporarily drifting for them to be backed in loads?

Am I doing it too early? cause I usually wait for the last 3 minutes or so for swing trades. usually I start scalping from about 7-6 minutes in, and stop in the last 2 mins as thats when the swings come in. unless I can scalp a few ticks on the swing

That's another thing I've been thinking of doing instead of swing trading altogether just scalping with the swings, like if one horse is rapidly steaming then that will be my time to back first then lay low, only when a swing is happening already so that i've missed the swing but should be able to scalp a few ticks off it.

How can you tell if a big swing is about to occur or if its just going to temporarily move then go the other way?
Do you wait for swing to start happening first by noticing the speed of the ticks momentum and be quick enough to jump into it?

basically a load of questions and just general help would be great right now, cause I feel like I know a lot more but there's no real difference in progress to not knowing anything at all
wearthefoxhat

Alexwins2023 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:46 pm
I've been practicing trading on the pre off markets for a few weeks now. I've went through all of peters courses and lots of youtube videos learning how to judge where a price is going.

I've picked up on the fact that some markets are more suitable to scalping and starting to get the hang of scalping a bit. I usually back first then lay after if the horse seems to be going in and lay first then back after if the horse seems to be going out as it can just randomly jump sometimes. I've noticed though there's only like 2 or 3 solid races usually where the prices are more stable and less likely to jump too far away.

Most races I've been trying to do swing trading and I've caught a few good ones but a lot of the times it just goes in the complete other direction.

I look for signs of other horses being backed for the one I'm trading to drift
Or look for signs of other horses being weak for the horse I'm trading to steam

This sometimes goes well and its good when I'm right but a lot of the times I'll find these signs and then all the sudden the other horses that were being backed in are now drifting all the way out and the horse I've just layed is steaming in and vice versa

How do you really know if the horses being backed in are just temporarily being backed in or how do you know they are just temporarily drifting for them to be backed in loads?

Am I doing it too early? cause I usually wait for the last 3 minutes or so for swing trades. usually I start scalping from about 7-6 minutes in, and stop in the last 2 mins as thats when the swings come in. unless I can scalp a few ticks on the swing

That's another thing I've been thinking of doing instead of swing trading altogether just scalping with the swings, like if one horse is rapidly steaming then that will be my time to back first then lay low, only when a swing is happening already so that i've missed the swing but should be able to scalp a few ticks off it.

How can you tell if a big swing is about to occur or if its just going to temporarily move then go the other way?
Do you wait for swing to start happening first by noticing the speed of the ticks momentum and be quick enough to jump into it?

basically a load of questions and just general help would be great right now, cause I feel like I know a lot more but there's no real difference in progress to not knowing anything at all
This video (about 5 minutes) 8 years ago, Peter Webb posted on You-Tube, describes the process really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxK3b92Vkqw

You then need to practice in a market and observe what he says. Small losses, bigger win risk/reward is my main take.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”