less than 100 people make a living from horses pre race ?

The sport of kings.
sweetybt

what privacy issues?
crossing_along

misimiki wrote:I live in Hungary and subscribe to ATR. I use software to tell the server my "true" location and so get the video feed. BBC IPlayer too. It's great for privacy issues too.
Thanks ! I'm intreasted to , I will contact you PM to give me more details .
Iron

crossing wrote:I just found andyfuller saying ''are less than 100 people making a living from trading them pre race''.
Same thing say Adam Heathcote .
How it is possible to know how many people make a living from trading Betfair?

Jeff
Iron

I agree, but whilst no doubt anyone with the right mental qualities can achieve that if they know what they're doing, there's the small matter of acquiring the necessary skills... :)

Jeff
fuzzer54 wrote:As Adam himself says if they apply themselves properly, virtually anyone can learn to make between £100-£200 a day. In my world, that counts as a very good living :) .
motorhead

Ferru123 wrote:
crossing wrote:I just found andyfuller saying ''are less than 100 people making a living from trading them pre race''.
Same thing say Adam Heathcote .
How it is possible to know how many people make a living from trading Betfair?

Jeff
I'm astonished I know ten of them, it's 10% not bad...
SamWilson82

mugsgame wrote:Is there a limit to the amount of snouts in the trough?
Yes
mugsgame wrote:It's survival of the fittest, Betfair is a micro ecosystem.
The food chain and all that. It's a matter of finding out your position in all of this.
Tottaly Agree

Throw these in:
What amount of money is considered "A living"?

And note that just because someone is "making a living" now it does not mean they will be this time next year. Failing to adapt is a challenge in itself so this figure could never be calculated fairly

Sam
freddy

Not sure where the figure of 100 comes from ?

I guess only Betfair know the truth,
the big question what constitutes a living ?

who knows :?
crossing_along

100 should stand for all those who earn their money only from betfair horse pre race trading either is ,1000£ or 3000£ per month = full time trader .
Zenyatta

Well, look at the numbers and do the math. There's a min of 500,000 pounds being matched per race, and only a small percentage of that can get 'skimmed off' or with-drawn from the pool by winning traders/punters.

The markets can only support a few hundred consistent winners.
Euler

There are over 10,000 races a year. So even if you can get a small amount on each race on average, it can still add up. Start at zero and work forward! Your first objective is to try and not lose money then you can get more adventurous from there.
chuck536

Euler wrote:There are over 10,000 races a year. So even if you can get a small amount on each race on average, it can still add up. Start at zero and work forward! Your first objective is to try and not lose money then you can get more adventurous from there.

Keeping expectations low is definately the way forward. All depends on desire IMO.... but If being FT is 1k a month plus there is room for alot more than 100 people.
andylees66

It could be true.

The problem is this, what draws people to Betfair in the first place is gambling. It takes a long, long, long time to develop a system that actually works. Once you have a pre-race system it's torture to actually stick to the rules you have placed on it.

For instance, and easy system to use - and you can look back for the last five years - you will have made an average 15pts profit per month if you stick to it is this.

Lay the favourite in the place market for the first five races. You'll have to make a spreadsheet to calculate risk etc (easy to do though), try to keep your losses to around 6 to 7 pts per day. This system will fail on average twice per month. Some months 3 times. Some months (last December) 7 times (ouch). However, there are months where it doesn't lose at all, hence +30pts.

The problem is this - you go ahead and use this system, it'll work if you stick to it. However, around 99% of people, when that loss day comes along they'll keep going, and going and going until they lose the lot. I've seen runs of 16 races where the fav has placed. If you stick to this system, it will pay. It is more reliable than trading.

I now have a whole bunch of systems, I have one that I stick to like glue now and it averages 17pts profit per month.

However, over the years I have lost big time. If I'd have stuck to any of my systems I would have profited nearly every month. I am guilty of not sticking to it, of letting the gambler take over!

Oh and all the systems you can buy are crap! Favourites phenomenon, yeah, right, I lost 3 grand using that system, chasing a poxy £50 - he cooks the results on his website, declares no bet days retrospectively. The system I just gave you works 100%. I could also expand on it and show you how you can spot a losing day and avoid it, but I can't be arsed. If you don't believe that system works (okay it has suffered three failures this month, but the loss days only worked out to 4 pts each) go ahead and check the horse racing results and you'll see that in every five races of the day, at least two favourites run to a place, one favourite wins, and at least one favourite doesn't even make a place. The only system that works and makes good money utilises the place market.

I hope someone takes this system up and makes good money with it. My only advice is, stick to the system, do not go to the sixth race. Do not put more on the next day trying to recover your loss. Just stick to winning 1pt per day. If you lose you lose. If you stick to it, you will make a living and be one of the 100... or 101 :))
andylees66

Oh whoops

Does pre-race mean pre race trading? If so then yes. It isn't worth doing.

Another system that works, during the race is to use betangel ladder and stick some loot down during the race on the favourite at long odds. Say the fav runs off at evens, just put a bet in at 6/1 decimal 7. Often the odds wander during the race and people will lay like crazy only for the favourite to recover and go on and win. Happens a lot! Ah, I'm giving away all the ways you can make loot :)
Iron

andylees66 wrote: Does pre-race mean pre race trading? If so then yes. It isn't worth doing.
Hi Andy. There are people on this site who make a nice living from doing precisely that - they may beg to differ. :)
andylees66 wrote:Another system that works, during the race is to use betangel ladder and stick some loot down during the race on the favourite at long odds. Say the fav runs off at evens, just put a bet in at 6/1 decimal 7. Often the odds wander during the race and people will lay like crazy only for the favourite to recover and go on and win. Happens a lot!
I know that often horses do shoot up in price in-play, only to go on and win. But you're assuming that the drift is due to market irrationality - that the market has underestimated the horse's true chances, which might not be the case. Sometimes a lucky comeback is just that - lucky. :)

And what if the price goes up to 7 when it should really be at 70.0, but people just can't bring themselves to accept that the horse they thought was a sure thing really is well and truly out of the race?

I'm not saying it won't work - the in-play market is extremely inefficient, and I've spent more time than is healthy thinking about such strategies myself! But I'm not convinced...

Jeff
mugsgame

andylees66 wrote:Does pre-race mean pre race trading? If so then yes. It isn't worth doing.
Another clueless guesser joins the forum

Return to “Trading Horse racing”