Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
beermonsterman

Not seen much action in here lately ? been shit I take it ? Pre race that is
Trader724

I'm doing great but I don't like to talk about it.
beermonsterman

Trader724 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:07 pm
I'm doing great but I don't like to talk about it.
cool
Trader724

:)
goat68

beermonsterman wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:02 pm
you might regret asking that!, here I go...

So i've just been watching Peter's latest twitter video reference on using the right strategy in the right market, and I realise that. My problem is I still find no consistency in the markets, if I look at today's you've got a mix of:
- Class Stks
- Mdn's
- NHF
- Hcap
- Hcap Hrds
- Nov stks

So my view on those is Mdn's, NHF, Nov stks would typically exhibit more volatility and suitable to more of a swing/longer move, whereas Class Stks and Hcaps more rangy based startegies. BUT, what I tend to see is some days Hcap's have as much volatility as a Mdn on a good day! and sometimes Mdn's are as flat as a tight Hcap! Is it a day of the week thing, so Mdn's are volatile on Tuesday's but rangy on Wednesday's? I also know what you're going to say, "oh it depends on the QUALITY of the race", look at the volume/liquidity, a Hcap with poor volume matched is going to be more volatile... but again that's not always the case...
Is it really a "day of the week" thing, or do I need to study time form for every race to work out the competition...? but then I feel i'm value betting then rather than trading..

This is the trouble I have with some of Peter's videos, they make sense and I understand them, but I can't implement them!! ie.Peter says he looks at a market and knows exactly how it might behave, Goat looks at a market, equates high volume Hcap to tight range, the bloody trade zooms off to infinity!!!!
Thoughts?
goat68

Anyway... i'm off to analyse my bot recorded data to see if I can see some patterns for today... i'll report back later...!
Korattt

beermonsterman wrote:
in the main done ok but today couldn’t focus for some reason, not much damage done though thankfully
Euler

beermonsterman wrote:
It's been a quiet week and it probably will be as we head to Cheltenham. I've seen the same pattern for years.

Still opportunities, but just not very exciting.
Euler

BUT, what I tend to see is some days Hcap's have as much volatility as a Mdn on a good day! and sometimes Mdn's are as flat as a tight Hcap!
Learn a bit more about the races individually. So, for example, you can have low grade handicaps and high grade handicaps and you can have competitive handicaps and uncompetitive handicaps where the favourite is racing of a low mark.

From a broad basis any classification is better than none and too much is no good. But you can make some broad assumptions with some basic assessment of the race.
Korattt

Euler wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 pm
BUT, what I tend to see is some days Hcap's have as much volatility as a Mdn on a good day! and sometimes Mdn's are as flat as a tight Hcap!
Learn a bit more about the races individually. So, for example, you can have low grade handicaps and high grade handicaps and you can have competitive handicaps and uncompetitive handicaps where the favourite is racing of a low mark.

From a broad basis any classification is better than none and too much is no good. But you can make some broad assumptions with some basic assessment of the race.
to be fair I’ve never took much notice of grade of market etc, maybe I should
Trader724

Black Ladder

Trader724 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:55 pm
That's me at the top of the ladder, on top of the game ....
Trader724

Black Ladder wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:09 pm
Trader724 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:55 pm
That's me at the top of the ladder, on top of the game ....
Be careful, hold on tight, it's much faster to get down than to climb.
goat68

Euler wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:44 pm

thanks Peter, just one thing what does "racing of a low mark" mean? I am guessing the odds fav hasn't won recently, or maybe time form is poor..?
HorseDark

goat68 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:17 pm

thanks Peter, just one thing what does "racing of a low mark" mean? I am guessing the odds fav hasn't won recently, or maybe time form is poor..?
Guide to handicapping

Return to “Trading Horse racing”