Today's Horse Racing

The sport of kings.
Snaff

Carnt find a way into these markets. There are loads of repeating patterns but the outcomes all feel pretty random. Only on the decent races do they seem less random. The bread and butter stuff is like cross your fingers and hope ha. You professional’s must laugh at how bad most of us are surely? 😆
jamesg46

Snaff wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:08 pm
Carnt find a way into these markets. There are loads of repeating patterns but the outcomes all feel pretty random. Only on the decent races do they seem less random. The bread and butter stuff is like cross your fingers and hope ha. You professional’s must laugh at how bad most of us are surely? 😆
The words of a man who has walked these markets in each and everyone of our shoes, "the markets literally breathe in & out". That is the repeating pattern :D

Fwiw, (I know you're just kidding) but I don't think anyone laughs at how bad others are. Each and everyone of us hold the memories of our journeys & the landscape seems to have well trodden routes.

The biggest battle isn't the pattern in the market, it's the pattern of behaviour within you (you being general).
jamesg46

Snaff wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:08 pm
I might get some stick for this (turn off now if you're not an Alan Watts fan).

https://youtu.be/X_YVeB6JLb0
Snaff

Haha I thought it was alright mate. I’m not that emotional with the market really, I trade it pretty cold. I just trade out post time regardless, never look to dig out a position. I think trying to trade it free hand if you like isn’t the way to go. Carnt really measure how something is doing but maybe that’s my downfall I’m not sure. I struggle to see where these consistent profits come from. Things work and don’t work in equal measure. I know people say match the strategy to the market but again very hit and miss for me personally. I’m just about out of ideas so maybe I’ve ran my race 😆
jamesg46

Snaff wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 pm
Haha I thought it was alright mate. I’m not that emotional with the market really, I trade it pretty cold. I just trade out post time regardless, never look to dig out a position. I think trying to trade it free hand if you like isn’t the way to go. Carnt really measure how something is doing but maybe that’s my downfall I’m not sure. I struggle to see where these consistent profits come from. Things work and don’t work in equal measure. I know people say match the strategy to the market but again very hit and miss for me personally. I’m just about out of ideas so maybe I’ve ran my race 😆
I've said it before, I envy the auto guys; they're very objective. Manually though, you're trying to be objective in a subjective environment... the only place to look as a manual trader is at your own behaviour. There are tonnes of opportunities everywhere, but being skilled enough to recognise them takes 1000's of hours.
Snaff

Agree completely mate. I deffo do not have the skill to trade manually, my mind carn’t take a full day on ladders. Again this makes me think lads paying heavy premium charge surely aren’t working that hard to achieve the figures. You wouldn’t want to graft like mad burning yourself out everyday to give a massive chunk of it back surely. I know I wouldn’t.
jamesg46

Snaff wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:46 pm
Agree completely mate. I deffo do not have the skill to trade manually, my mind carn’t take a full day on ladders. Again this makes me think lads paying heavy premium charge surely aren’t working that hard to achieve the figures. You wouldn’t want to graft like mad burning yourself out everyday to give a massive chunk of it back surely. I know I wouldn’t.
There is a good old saying in trading, "trade what you see", imo that isn't good enough anymore, not if you want to be in with a chance of being competitive! It is true however, but... you also need some sort of structure, some sort of measure.

You'll go on YT and guru's show trades like they're binary. There is a whole lot of psychological & analytical context missed out... go no further than that dick head selling the 4 tick offset or even people in this forum spouting this is value. In what context, in what strategy.

There really isn't a one size fits all approach. Your sell could be my buy, or vice versa. Value by what I gather from the football thread is perception based.
Snaff

Not sure what YT is mate? At the end of the day it’s a highly efficient market so the is no wonder we struggle. I’ve only really seen Caan and Peter produce serious profits pre off. How they have an edge over so many people is what baffles me. Talk about it so openly, video’s etc… but don’t seem to lose the edge?
Trader724

Most of their edge is not what you think it is. The truth is that most people have a fairly fixed way of thinking, while some people think way outside the box, which offers advantages that they would not have expected. Don't ask yourself why they talk so easily about certain things, think about the things they don't talk about.
Now the bomb: I have a strategy that makes money if the markets are efficient.
Snaff

Thanks for your in put mate. Food for thought. I’ve looked to profit from the markets inefficiency’s in the past but just very hit and miss. Nothing really seems to hit profit consistent over time in my findings.
Trader724

All you have to do is to make a favorable book and the weirder you do it, the better. Be weird.
Snaff

😆👍
jamesg46

What an idiot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maturin

jamesg46 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:48 pm
What an idiot.
Unlucky James. I managed to turn a £12 loss into a £2 win, so I was quite pleased at that, but still got out WAY too early, as I didn't have the market overview up to see the other horse getting gambled in.

Win some and lose some!
jamesg46

Maturin wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 1:01 pm
jamesg46 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:48 pm
What an idiot.
Unlucky James. I managed to turn a £12 loss into a £2 win, so I was quite pleased at that, but still got out WAY too early, as I didn't have the market overview up to see the other horse getting gambled in.

Win some and lose some!
Yep :D Still all day yet... just have to keep my expectations in check after missing out on that.

Return to “Trading Horse racing”