Australian racing

The sport of kings.
Lutruwita

In play is dire today. No money about at all. Looks about time to chuck in the towel.

Does anyone actually bet in play anymore? There is nothing after the first second and in the straight when people know who has won. Australian races have turned into something like New Zealand used to be. Astonishing decline this year. You would never see 150% markets less than halfway through a race but it is common now. Alternatively, when I look at UK races it is incredibly vibrant.

For pre-race traders, has anyone noticed any difference? Numbers don't seem that strong. I have made only 40% of what I had this time last year, and 35% I made in 2020.
JA89

Lutruwita wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:45 am
JA89 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:55 pm
Saw 5 tracksiders at Sunshine Coast today, could well have been others I didn't spot too. Must be making stuff all though, zero liquidity these days. 12 months ago you'd be lucky to see 1.
Wow. Like seagulls after a chip. They must have given Albion Park a miss. Weirdly in one race the leader was $1.2 in the straight when gone on the TV so the race must have been about over on track.
That's unusual, there's a crew that targets the Albion Park, Redcliffe and Marburg meetings. Have never been to a meeting when they weren't there. Maybe they've given up, it wouldn't surprise me, there's no mug money left in the market. It's all tracksiders and fast pic guys cannibalising themselves.
Euler

Lutruwita wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:22 am
In play is dire today. No money about at all. Looks about time to chuck in the towel.

Does anyone actually bet in play anymore? There is nothing after the first second and in the straight when people know who has won. Australian races have turned into something like New Zealand used to be. Astonishing decline this year. You would never see 150% markets less than halfway through a race but it is common now. Alternatively, when I look at UK races it is incredibly vibrant.

For pre-race traders, has anyone noticed any difference? Numbers don't seem that strong. I have made only 40% of what I had this time last year, and 35% I made in 2020.
I don't really trade Aussie racing in-play as I don't feel I have an edge. But the pre-off stuff is OK. All markets have called a little since the pandemic ended, but it's still good in comparison to prior years in Australia.
megarain

You need decent pictures to be a market maker and discipline.

Tracksiders havent the huge laptops to offer flexibility, so are generally just price takers.

If u have a decent feed and can market make, its still viable.
The dog of ry

I'm pretty much all inplay and thought it was one of the best days in months

I also don't chase chips anymore.. adapt or die etc etc
Anbell

prepost was fantastic today too
rik

The dog of ry wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:37 am

What do you mean by „dont chase chips“ anymore?
Lutruwita

The dog of ry wrote:
I'm pretty much all inplay and thought it was one of the best days in months

That's really good news! I suppose a lot of what I have done has relied on market movement which has reduced. I have to decide whether it's worth reinventing or moving on to bigger and better things. It's really the only 'job' I have ever had. I was ~ 20 when I started.
The dog of ry

rik wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:36 pm
The dog of ry wrote:

What do you mean by „dont chase chips“ anymore?
There used to be pretty easy money avaliable at the start and end of races.. eg back to lay a leader or lay to back a slow starter.. or get something matched on the likely winner not far from home... not rocket science. Nowadays I'm not quick enough, so I don't even bother. Radio has been off for months.

I can see from the BF market what has led at Albion Park for instance before the mobile pulls away on my screen. I see no value backing a $20 SP leader at 5's.. but seagulls do so I'll likely oppose. Add in lead times, or furlong splits from NSW or track bias or even just reading the race and there are still opportunities. At least for now
Wildly

Lutruwita wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:22 am

Months of very wet tracks in Sydney and at a lot of provincial NSW venues plus Queensland would have meant most only want to be with those on pace.

Caulfield rail out 11 metres makes for a similar scenario.
Synthetic / all-weather tracks produce the same.
Lutruwita

We have also had commission hikes and largely the removal of commission reduction points in Australia too. This would particularly affect straight up punters.

One thing I am battling with is exit points. Previously, I'd visually see a horse perhaps starting to struggle and at that moment I'd exit or largely exit my position if I had backed it; whereas now when I see the same thing the market has already moved. I need to adjust this.
Lutruwita

A synthetic track in NSW is desperately needed.
Derek27

Lutruwita wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 4:28 am
A synthetic track in NSW is desperately needed.
I wonder how many NSW tracks have drainage installed? Since Cheltenham, our NH headquarters had drainage work very few meetings have been abandoned due to rain. Randwick and Rosehill, although sometimes waterlogged, seem to take rain very well.
eightbo

Card tonight's not bad, game on
eightbo

Sctatch that, mistook the Saturday card for Friday !

Bots barely fired last night :lol:

Return to “Trading Horse racing”