Database Structure for Horse Racing

harry

TLindeth wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:20 pm

Thanks Harry - this is an interesting concept (I've certainly underestimated this database design lark... :D ). So in essence I could create a fact table which has something along the lines of:

Date
Time
RaceID
RunnerID
CourseID
RaceTypeID

etc.. etc..

With this central fact table then providing a link to other tables of greater detail.. i.e. a table for the pre-off data (structured as you mentioned), names of runners, distances, courses etc..

Have I got that right? I'm sure I'll eventually get my head around this - you'll have to excuse my noddy questions until then :D but thanks for your help!
Haha yeah there's so much to it, I always find I end up spending a lot more time than I plan on the database side of things and it takes me a few iterations to get it the way I want. The main thing is to get something reasonable that will work, start capturing the data, and then when you think of a better way to do it later you can migrate your old data into that. I think your plan sounds pretty good!
ShaunWhite

TLindeth wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:24 pm

Christ it certainly is Shaun! I'm just off Mulgrave Road which is basically adjacent to that. I know South Croydon well, grew up playing football regularly in that area, still a regular in The Jolly Farmer just down the road in Purley too!
:) Bloody google. I've just spend the last 5mins 'walking' down Mulgrave Rd re-living my old commute. I wasn't in the posh end down near Purley, I was up near the flyover (in The Waldrons), it was only estate agents that called it South Croydon really.
TLindeth

harry wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:09 pm
TLindeth wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:20 pm

Thanks Harry - this is an interesting concept (I've certainly underestimated this database design lark... :D ). So in essence I could create a fact table which has something along the lines of:

Date
Time
RaceID
RunnerID
CourseID
RaceTypeID

etc.. etc..

With this central fact table then providing a link to other tables of greater detail.. i.e. a table for the pre-off data (structured as you mentioned), names of runners, distances, courses etc..

Have I got that right? I'm sure I'll eventually get my head around this - you'll have to excuse my noddy questions until then :D but thanks for your help!
Haha yeah there's so much to it, I always find I end up spending a lot more time than I plan on the database side of things and it takes me a few iterations to get it the way I want. The main thing is to get something reasonable that will work, start capturing the data, and then when you think of a better way to do it later you can migrate your old data into that. I think your plan sounds pretty good!

Thanks Harry - now I just need to put the plan into action, maybe that will my help my understanding of how this truly works...
TLindeth

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:39 pm
TLindeth wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:24 pm

Christ it certainly is Shaun! I'm just off Mulgrave Road which is basically adjacent to that. I know South Croydon well, grew up playing football regularly in that area, still a regular in The Jolly Farmer just down the road in Purley too!
:) Bloody google. I've just spend the last 5mins 'walking' down Mulgrave Rd re-living my old commute. I wasn't in the posh end down near Purley, I was up near the flyover (in The Waldrons), it was only estate agents that called it South Croydon really.
Haha - Sutton has changed a fair bit since your commuting days. There are significant developments around the station now, it actually looks pretty impressive. Shame the high street hasn't really received the same attention. The same could be said for Croydon too!

Return to “Betfair Data”