Betfair / Python London Meet-up (21/01/20)

jamesedwards

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:56 am
There was a scheme in my area a few years ago where speeding motorists would be given a choice of a fine or a ticking off about the dangers of speeding by a group of eight-year-olds. :lol:
Quite possibly would actually rather take the fine!
LinusP

Currently trying to get betfair to bring the company credit card if that helps convince anyone :lol:
Dallas

LinusP wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:28 pm
Currently trying to get betfair to bring the company credit card if that helps convince anyone :lol:
Will it work :lol:
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:28 pm
Can I have 10gallons of 4* instead of the Crystal?
ShaunWhite

18 months to get organised and my car's off the road, corroded brake pipe mot failure :evil: Sod it. Other options are non starters too, a few too many miles to cling on to a motorbike, zero chance of doing 100+ trouble free miles in the 50yo Triumph and I'd rather die than drive my 87yo mum's utterly joyless 05 Toyota Corrola. Guess this happens when your driveway looks like a scene from Scrapheap Challenge. :roll: Well this isn't going to fix itself so looks like it's a blue overalls day today, have fun all and I'll see you next time.
LinusP

ShaunWhite wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:41 pm
18 months to get organised and my car's off the road, corroded brake pipe mot failure :evil: Sod it. Other options are non starters too, a few too many miles to cling on to a motorbike, zero chance of doing 100+ trouble free miles in the 50yo Triumph and I'd rather die than drive my 87yo mum's utterly joyless 05 Toyota Corrola. Guess this happens when your driveway looks like a scene from Scrapheap Challenge. :roll: Well this isn't going to fix itself so looks like it's a blue overalls day today, have fun all and I'll see you next time.
Typical, I had to change a aux belt this morning after luckily seeing a nice tear down one edge #racekar

Don't worry as I think there is demand for lots more of these, hopefully get betfair on board more as well.
Seth

How did the meet up go? Only noticed it late yesterday so was a no go for me, did many attend and did Betfair send any people?

Betfair Australia seem to be quite active with their botters and do quite a lot of encouraging videos on YouTube for anyone starting out, might be of interest to some if they haven't seen them

https://www.youtube.com/c/betfairaustralia/videos
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 pm
I had to change a aux belt
Can't neglect the small stuff. In two consecutive days my lad had 2 identical cars in. One for a cam belt and one for a new engine because it should have had a new cam belt. He's had a Tesla in too, no wonder Musk can afford rockets, basic suspension parts 5x !!! the price of Merc and BMW bits. Lower wishbone £300 and of course the book says do both.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:45 pm
LinusP wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:34 pm
I had to change a aux belt
Can't neglect the small stuff. In two consecutive days my lad had 2 identical cars in. One for a cam belt and one for a new engine because it should have had a new cam belt. He's had a Tesla in too, no wonder Musk can afford rockets, basic suspension parts 5x !!! the price of Merc and BMW bits. Lower wishbone £300 and of course the book says do both.
Is that a function of the extra weight of an EV? Or just Tesla gouging?
LinusP

Seth wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:37 pm
How did the meet up go? Only noticed it late yesterday so was a no go for me, did many attend and did Betfair send any people?

Betfair Australia seem to be quite active with their botters and do quite a lot of encouraging videos on YouTube for anyone starting out, might be of interest to some if they haven't seen them

https://www.youtube.com/c/betfairaustralia/videos
Was brilliant, must have had close to 30 people with many first timers, about 5 from betfair and I had a few beers paid for :D
ShaunWhite

greenmark wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:52 pm
I'll leave that judgement to you. They weight approx 2000kg. Same weight (slightly less) than a range rover or Merc e-class estate. It's not even like it's made of composite, just the usual cast metal.
greenmark

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 pm
greenmark wrote:
I'll leave that judgement to you. They weight approx 2000kg. Same weight (slightly less) than a range rover or Merc e-class estate. It's not even like it's made of composite, just the usual cast metal.
Ok message received and understood. But I do wonder whether Tesla has the economy of scale yet to match Merc et al. After all Henry Ford proved quantity equals efficiency. Tesla aren't mass production (yet) and may never be if the big boys jump in.
It's quite a bunfight in the offing - Tesla vs Ford, GM, VAG, Toyota, Honda, Nissan/Renault, Kia, Hyundai.
Who would you put your money on?
gazuty

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:18 am
It's quite a bunfight in the offing - Tesla vs Ford, GM, VAG, Toyota, Honda, Nissan/Renault, Kia, Hyundai.
I acknowledge this is way off topic about the meet up.

Things to think about.

Is Tesla a revolution or evolution? Does Tesla do something its competitors cannot do?

Tesla has made a huge bet and investment in batteries. There is a very good case for fuel cells and hydrogen. It is not obvious what the long term winner will be. Batteries might be a transition. Batteries v Hydrogen fuel cell might become Beta v VHS.

In Tesla's entire history to say May 2021 it has produced 1.43 million cars. For Toyota, each year it produces around 7.5 million cars.

Tesla's marke cap is approx $580 billion. Toyota's is appox $250 billion. All is not well in fairy land.

Of course, the market can stay irrational longer than any of us can remain solvent.

Would I buy a Tesla model 3. Sure. But how long will the "Tesla is cool factor" last. If Musk can make Tesla into a brand like Apple, but for cars, then that is a huge plus. If Tesla becomes just another car company - then its future is less rosy.
jamesg46

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:18 am
ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 pm
greenmark wrote:
Ok message received and understood. But I do wonder whether Tesla has the economy of scale yet to match Merc et al. After all Henry Ford proved quantity equals efficiency. Tesla aren't mass production (yet) and may never be if the big boys jump in.
The big boys are already involved, very involved but I feel they're going in a different direction, that being Hydrogen. I think Toyota from some vague memory (too much whisky) already have a Hydrogen engine... I know for certain JCB do https://youtu.be/wDKLoLUQgH0

I've worked for both Aerospace & JCB and both of those have a huge drive to replace the diesel engine, Aerospace with electric, JCB with Hydrogen... my guess is Hydrogen wins. Tesla is way over priced & once people realise that if everyone owned a Tesla the grid would fail then all hell will break loose with that stock.
greenmark

Rats! Sorry folks dragged the thread way off topic.
Then again, this is a pukka techie thread, and EV tech is very tech, so what the hell!
:-)

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”