Betfair Down / Betfair site crash

mcfc1981

Betfair down
ShaunWhite

Emmson wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:07 am
When was it planned?
"Planned" IT outages don't mean they're at your discretion, it just means they're not uncontrolled. Even times when you know you need to bring systems down in a few minutes rather than face an impending uncontrolled crash are generally logged as 'planned'.

People ask for more information from Betfair but it risks misunderstandings around the terminology, and some might assume it could/should have been mentioned much sooner or done at a more convenient time. That might be right or it might not necessarily be the case.
Emmson

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:24 am
Emmson wrote:
When was it planned?
"Planned" IT outages don't mean they're at your discretion, it just means they're not uncontrolled. Even times when you know you need to bring systems down in a few minutes rather than face an impending uncontrolled crash are generally logged as 'planned'.

People ask for more information from Betfair but it risks misunderstandings around the terminology, and some might assume it could/should have been mentioned much sooner or done at a more convenient time. That might be right or it might not necessarily be the case.
Shaun they are incompetent w*nkers, that is my position and my position is

UNALTERABLE
PDC

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:24 am
Emmson wrote:
When was it planned?

For that argument to hold any sway I would ask to be pointed to the examples where they did give correct and proper notice other than on Twitter.

My bank gives me a warning when I log in whenever they have planned maintenance. Why can't Betfair do this? May be someone with the right connections, e.g. Peter could suggest it.

I accept sometimes they will have planned maintenance, as Shaun has put it, that is planned with 30 seconds planned and therefore you wouldn't get a log in warning if you are already logged in.

But that won't be the case most of the time.

They should email all customers a warning if time allows and also bring in the log in warning and I think that would cover 99% of the planned outages.
Golfer

Posted here - https://forum.developer.betfair.com/for ... -08-30-gmt

I do think a banner or a pop up in the 12-24hrs before would be a much better option.
PDC

The problem with posting the announcements on Twitter and on forums is that it relies on every single user to check constantly for any posts about up coming outages. A much more customer friendly way to do it is to email users, provide the facility to opt out for those that don't want the emails, and also the banner/pop up when you log in. That way all users that want to be can be forewarned. Still keep the forum and twitter notifications for those who like to constantly check those just in case an outage is planned.
Euler

It wouldn't take much effort to inform of schedule outgages. I only get to hear about them by accident. Even if they just emailed people like I could go out and inform others.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:26 am
It wouldn't take much effort to inform of schedule outgages. I only get to hear about them by accident. Even if they just emailed people like I could go out and inform others.
These warnings are something we should ask to be implemented when they hold their next Q&A session with management on the Betfair forum. I think we all understand there might be the rare occasion where they have no time to warn users but those are likely to be few and far between.
to75ne

lingfield 1337 not gone inplay
brimson25

Not again!
to75ne

brimson25 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:41 pm
Not again!
yep
Euler

to75ne wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:39 pm
lingfield 1337 not gone inplay
Confirmed
PDC

No issues since. Looks like the "technical issue" was "we forgot to".
PDC

The market has now been settled.
Euler

They seem to have settled mine without taking SP.

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”