Programming/Coding on Betfair

spreadbetting

What's a smack group Peter? I did think about joining but reckon my programming skills would leave me clueless as to what people may be talking about.
Archery1969

spreadbetting wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:56 am
What's a smack group Peter? I did think about joining but reckon my programming skills would leave me clueless as to what people may be talking about.
:lol: Isnt that type of behaviour against the law now ? :lol:
spreadbetting

Bloody predictive text :o
jimibt

Archery1969 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:59 am
spreadbetting wrote:
:lol: Isnt that type of behaviour against the law now ? :lol:
spreadbetting wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 am
Bloody predictive text :o
was that meant to read Bloody predictive test ??

not sure if smackheads are even subjected to that nowadays -lol
LinusP

spreadbetting wrote:
Not just programming :D

Strategies / PC / latency / book recommendations, lots of great chat from some of the biggest auto guys and syndicates.

https://betfairlightweight.herokuapp.com/
PeterLe

spreadbetting wrote:
Hi SB
Yes def worth joining. Slack is just a medium for posting questions/queries/sharing code/strategies etc
We all met up one night in London a few months ago which was really interesting speaking to like minded people (from beginners to seasoned pros). Im sure they will be holding another post lockdown.
Regards
Peter
PeterLe

Well i just wanted to record this for nostalgic purposes; took me six months for not knowing what Python was to placing my first bet!
Just thought that if may help others to have a go. I'm just average intelligence so if i can do it, then others can too.

Still feel like I'm driving a Ferrari on L plates, but one step at a time. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sa7med

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:57 pm
Well i just wanted to record this for nostalgic purposes; took me six months for not knowing what Python was to placing my first bet!
Just thought that if may help others to have a go. I'm just average intelligence so if i can do it, then others can too.

Still feel like I'm driving a Ferrari on L plates, but one step at a time. :D
Well done! I've been trying to wrangle with it as well though I'm a bit lost. I can get it to work somewhat but I don't really know what im doing!
ShaunWhite

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:57 pm
Brilliant! Now you've got the engine to splutter into life you can start the nicer job of bolting on all the fancy shiny bits.
PeterLe

Thanks guys; In fairness most of the code is already written in the examples
It would be nice just to port one of my simpler strategies over at some point in the future
Just really enjoying the journey
Regards
Peter
PeterLe

Well I thought id post what will probably be the final post on this thread for me. I just wanted to close the loop on this post..and to put a time stamp on the thread
I didn't realise that it had been so long since I picked up my "Learn Python in a day" book (Its false advertising by the way)
I've really enjoyed learning Python from scratch and then utilising all the code provided by Liam. The support from the guys on his slack group has been superb

I'm now in a position where I can collect my own data and create backtests (such as the example below, simple strat small stakes).
Although i do have a few Flumine/Betfairlightweigh python instances running strats, and collecting data on a Ubuntu server (Which I never touch and runs for months on end). The way I use it currently is that I tend to run back tests on new ideas and markets and then run it on betangel.
For £150/Year for betangel its a no brainer a fantastic piece of software imo. having done some coding myself now I can fully appreciate how much effort goes into the development of BA.

So in essence; is it worth learning python - Yes
Is it easy - Yes to get to a basic level, however, it is only when you get to the basic level you realise how far you still have to go.
Am I glad I did it ? 100%
Biggest learning : A much better understanding overall of how the market works (I thought I knew all this, i didn't).Above all, the real true potential there is still there for the taking, it is massive.
Good Luck if you decide to have a crack, but be prepared to put the hours in

regards
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”