Trace route to the Betfair API?

PDC

Is it possible to run a trace route to the Betfair API?

I seem to remember reading that this is not possible due to the measures Betfair have in place to avoid attacks on their systems.

I was suggested to try it by someone as it may show where my problems that I have been posting about the last few days lie.

By running a trace route they said it will show all the network hops along the way to the destination, so if any connection loss is taking place this will be displayed in the test, and it will also show at which parts of the network this is taking place.

If it is possible could any one advise how to do it for the API?

I have contacted Bet Angel Support about the problems I am having and am awaiting to hear back from them as the problems persist today for the 4th straight day :(
Euler

I don't think you can do a reliable traceroute to Betfair as their DDOS provider blocks it.
PDC

Euler wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:13 pm
I don't think you can do a reliable traceroute to Betfair as their DDOS provider blocks it.
Thank you.
PeterLe

I was just looking back over some old files...If you download the PStools from Microsoft..then run "Tracert 84,20.210.114 " from CMD (goes via Akamai Technologies for DDOS protect I expect as Peter says) think thats the correct Ip
You can also check your ping time from your server...

Interesting enough; I had a screenshot from many years ago and the average from tagadab at the time was around 19ms...Ive just done the same from my home PC and its faster! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Balmus

How much faster? I am getting between 10 and 11 ms and cant find any faster.
PDC

Thanks PeterLe

I downloaded the PStools from Microsoft but I don't think I installed anything, I just got a window as shown below:

PStools.png

I then went into Cmd and ran a tracert to 84.20.210.114 as suggested by you.

I have blanked out the info on the right of the image as I don't know if it is sensitive information. But you can see on 4 occasions I have "Request timed out."

Any idea what this could be?

Would it explain the issues I am having with the Betfair API?

Tracert.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PDC

PeterLe wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm
run "Tracert 84,20.210.114 " from CMD (goes via Akamai Technologies for DDOS protect I expect as Peter says)
Looking at my ping results it seems that my final 3 "request time out." come after a line that has "Akamai Technologies" in it. Could they be blocking me as part of their DDOS prevention?
PeterLe

PDC wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm
PeterLe wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:10 pm
run "Tracert 84,20.210.114 " from CMD (goes via Akamai Technologies for DDOS protect I expect as Peter says)
Looking at my ping results it seems that my final 3 "request time out." come after a line that has "Akamai Technologies" in it. Could they be blocking me as part of their DDOS prevention?
Sorry PDC Its beyond my knowledge :D I have run mine a few times and I dont seem to get any time outs?
spreadbetting

Trace route and ping are different things, the stars just mean that server on the journey doesn't respond to ICMP traffic and will ignore the request for the server info. The ping just records the time taken for the journey to betfair

Return to “Betfair Exchange API”