In-Play Losses

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
icey1962

Hi
I've been doing in-play L2B for a few months with not too bad results apart from the odd horse that I let it go on to win before I bail :( it's that emotion thing that you think it's going to lose ground because that's what the form said lol. Is there a way that I can set up automation so I can bail out if it gets to a certain monetary value? or maybe if in the last furlong it's; gaining pace on the winner?
These are just thoughts so no idea if it can be done but appreciate any help. TIA
ShaunWhite

Have a look at the user guide for the rule types and conditions available to automation. You'll see there's green up rules and pl conditions that'll do what you want. There's also a description of the pace related info you can use with the optional TPD data (the GPS stuff). You'll soon get a feel for the type of things you can do even it it seems a bit complicated at first.
icey1962

Ok thx for the pointers, must admit it overloads my brain lol
iambic_pentameter

icey1962 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:20 pm
Hi
I've been doing in-play L2B for a few months with not too bad results apart from the odd horse that I let it go on to win before I bail :( it's that emotion thing that you think it's going to lose ground because that's what the form said lol. Is there a way that I can set up automation so I can bail out if it gets to a certain monetary value? or maybe if in the last furlong it's; gaining pace on the winner?
These are just thoughts so no idea if it can be done but appreciate any help. TIA
If it were me, I'd work on the basis that my stop loss won't get matched due to the volatility when the race goes inplay and only stake a small % of my bank.

Also, consider worst case scenarios i.e. I saw a race where there were 2 at the front who looked like winning, 1 fell, the other collided with that horse and the 1 behind them won - I'd imagine a few fingers were burnt that day...

A good exercise would be to gather data and see if you can find any patterns where horses lose after trading lower in running but be mindful you are going up against some sharp minds like Shaun.

Best of luck

Iambic
icey1962

Thank you for the advice. Yeah I've got caught out on a race where my horse was losing on the last fence then the leader fell and mine won with a big loss for me :(
I've thought about automation, but I think that would leave me a bit venerable as I'm not sure how accurate/consistent the TPD data is.
I continue to look for patterns in-play. So ideally I would rather be greening up halfway in the race where the odds tend to change so not putting me in a situation of having to go to the end of the race and be more vulnerable. More discipline needed on my part I think :(
So hopefully I can find a combination of odds and stakes that work best for me. Thanks again for your ideas and advice,
ShaunWhite

iambic_pentameter wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:25 pm
but be mindful you are going up against some sharp minds like Shaun.
It's all an illusion iambic, just standing on the shoulders of giants.

Abs agree about keeping it small, I'd rather have a dozen small in-running bets as the action ebbs and flows than a big lump that forces you to look for an exit at any price. There's a lot of shrewd fast fingers out there and you don't want to be the one left holding the baby. Also ask yourself why you're betting £100 and looking to find a £99 exit (probably at -EV) when you could just have a quid that wins or loses.

.... All that said I'm not an in-running expert, just quoting some that are.
Atho55

Have been working on a rudimentary timer that attempts to show the race duration as a % complete value using SV`s. It`s incomplete by a long way but I can post it if you want to continue with it.
icey1962

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:35 pm
iambic_pentameter wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:25 pm
but be mindful you are going up against some sharp minds like Shaun.
It's all an illusion iambic, just standing on the shoulders of giants.

Abs agree about keeping it small, I'd rather have a dozen small in-running bets as the action ebbs and flows than a big lump that forces you to look for an exit at any price. There's a lot of shrewd fast fingers out there and you don't want to be the one left holding the baby. Also ask yourself why you're betting £100 and looking to find a £99 exit (probably at -EV) when you could just have a quid that wins or loses.

.... All that said I'm not an in-running expert, just quoting some that are.
All worth a thought. As I learn more about in-play the more I start to see patterns and opportunities to trade safer, finding the right horses that the odds drift more than 12 ticks or you desire.
I have many thoughts but that's my Autistic mind lol
icey1962

Atho55 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:43 pm
Have been working on a rudimentary timer that attempts to show the race duration as a % complete value using SV`s. It`s incomplete by a long way but I can post it if you want to continue with it.
Sounds a good idea, thanks for the offer but I wouldn't have a glue on how to develop it further :(
dj611003

Hi, I have a similar problem: Iam struggling to get stop losses to work in automation. For example, I have been looking at the Dutch 1st, 2nd, 3rd automation file. It seems to me that with no stop loss and efficient pricing, this has to break even.
I’d like to find a way to stop losses in-play on specific selections rather than green all selections for a -ve value. Suppose the rule backs Alice at 2.0, Bob at 3.0 and Charlie at 4.0 then in-play Bob takes a strong lead – Alice and Charlie’s price drifts.
I want at that point to lay Alice and Charlie but don’t know how to specify those two selections in an automation rule. Do I have to set a stored value for each of Alice, Bob and Charlie and then apply a new rule, or am I over complicating?
Grateful for any input.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”