Stop Trading When Set Profit Is Reached

Advanced automation available in Guardian - Chat with others and share files here.
icey1962

Hi,
I'm looking to stop trading when I reach a certain level of profit for the day eg £30. But If I've understood the other threads correctly the automation were for the 'WIN' market not the 'PLACE' market. I'm in need of a solution for the 'PLACE' Market
I was wondering with the release of the latest version of BA if this might be easier to achieve now.

I know this has been touched upon before and I know there are arguments of why would you do this, well it's a free world and we are all entitled to our opinions. :D TIA
Dallas

icey1962 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:30 am
Hi,
I'm looking to stop trading when I reach a certain level of profit for the day eg £30. But If I've understood the other threads correctly the automation were for the 'WIN' market not the 'PLACE' market. I'm in need of a solution for the 'PLACE' Market
I was wondering with the release of the latest version of BA if this might be easier to achieve now.

I know this has been touched upon before and I know there are arguments of why would you do this, well it's a free world and we are all entitled to our opinions. :D TIA
I'll try and remember to have a look at this between Xmas and New Year, its due to the way the P/L from place markets are returned I'm not sure how/if they can be used in a Stored Value
Derek27

icey1962 wrote:
We're all entitled to jump from the top floor but people will still ask why you want to do it. ;)
bob1957

Appreciate your response Derek27, however some may take a different approach and taking a daily profit is the priority.
I have implemented a strategy similar to the Trailing Stop, the fixed profit I calculate once reached is then adjusted upwards with each win, if the profit then drops below the new target profit betting stops ensuring a daily profit, for the past 10 months the profit is more than the losses.
Profit is how much money you’ve made after expenses, while profitability measures how sustainable your ability to generate profits is over time.
By taking smaller profits increases the profitability.
eatyourgreens

bob1957 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:16 am
Appreciate your response Derek27, however some may take a different approach and taking a daily profit is the priority.
I have implemented a strategy similar to the Trailing Stop, the fixed profit I calculate once reached is then adjusted upwards with each win, if the profit then drops below the new target profit betting stops ensuring a daily profit, for the past 10 months the profit is more than the losses.
Profit is how much money you’ve made after expenses, while profitability measures how sustainable your ability to generate profits is over time.
Taking more smaller profits increases the profitability further! :-)
icey1962

Dallas wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:52 pm
icey1962 wrote:
Hi,

I'll try and remember to have a look at this between Xmas and New Year, its due to the way the P/L from place markets are returned I'm not sure how/if they can be used in a Stored Value
OK Thanks Dallas :) Have a great Xmas :)
icey1962

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:39 pm
icey1962 wrote:
We're all entitled to jump from the top floor but people will still ask why you want to do it. ;)
At the moment I'm finding if I let the automation run for all races I usually end up with a loss or very small profit, but have found that there is a certain time period where I can take a bigger profit, still tweaking automation and looking at different ways to make profit. There's always a chance I'll change my mind as I hurtle towards the ground lol

In another similar post someone gave an analogy...if a cash machine was throwing out free money why would you stop when you had £50?
But to me it's more yes I would stop after £50 so I'm not caught by the Police who takes all my loot for the day then sends me to prison and have my bottom raped Lol...............I'll take the £50 thx
icey1962

bob1957 wrote:
That's great that you have consistent profit. That's my aim and glad to hear you have achieved this. :D
eatyourgreens

Derek would take £100 and suffer (or enjoy!) the consequences in prison! :-)
Crazyskier

I wholeheartedly agree that setting a ''stop-at-a-given-daily-profit'' (or loss) can result in more favourable outcomes more often than leaving something to run ad infinitum.

I use these rules on several of my high-variance automation strategies on the dogs where there are so many events that a stop at X win or loss can really transform results, especially when using a multiple of liability as the stop points.

CS
icey1962

eatyourgreens wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:27 am
Derek would take £100 and suffer (or enjoy!) the consequences in prison! :-)
lol well each to his own........as long as he is happy :)
icey1962

Crazyskier wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:29 am
I wholeheartedly agree that setting a ''stop-at-a-given-daily-profit'' (or loss) can result in more favourable outcomes more often than leaving something to run ad infinitum.

I use these rules on several of my high-variance automation strategies on the dogs where there are so many events that a stop at X win or loss can really transform results, especially when using a multiple of liability as the stop points.

CS
That's good to hear I'm not the only one that thinks like this. My automation is on the dogs at the moment. This morning I had a straight run of 11 races then boom one that wiped out most of my profit. I would have been happy with taking the profit from the first few races. At the moment i'm just running the bot to see if any more patterns appear or I can tweak it some more
ShaunWhite

I think it was the economist Alan Greenspan that said, "Members were entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts." ;)

The thing is you never actually stop, you just carry on betting after a pause determined purely by the rotation of the earth, 'Quitting while you're ahead' is an oxymoron. That combined with thinking the markets behave differently just because you personally are up or down is irrational. The maths was all done about 400 years ago anyway so there's not much point explaining it all again.
Crazyskier

ShaunWhite wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:02 pm
I think it was the economist Alan Greenspan that said, "Members were entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts." ;)

The thing is you never actually stop, you just carry on betting after a pause determined purely by the rotation of the earth, 'Quitting while you're ahead' is an oxymoron. That combined with thinking the markets behave differently just because you personally are up or down is irrational. The maths was all done about 400 years ago anyway so there's not much point explaining it all again.
You don't need to explain anything, Shaun.

Please just accept that with a high volume of high variance events, the usage of stop-at-profit and stop-at-loss on a daily basis can mean that the daily totals are better overall than an every event strategy.

Think of it as a peaks and troughs management system. It certainly works for me for automated outcome betting on the doggies, and has for some years now.

CS
Derek27

bob1957 wrote:

I disagree with your definition of profitability. Profitability is the ability to produce profit, which can only be judged by how profitable you are. (Incidentally, Grammarly tried to change "how profitable you are" to "your profitability", so even Grammarly agrees with me :D ). A strategy that wins £5 every single day is less profitable and has lower profitability than a strategy that wins £3K a year with all the ups and downs that go with it.

Having a losing day is something all traders get used to and doesn't worry about. Changing the way you trade just to finish the day on the up is severely restrictive. As Shaun says it's entirely random. Why start the day at midnight? If you started at 15:00 would it make any difference?

Take a look through your trading records before you started this idea and see if you can find a great result when you were winning, where you would have stopped before it.

Return to “Bet Angel - Automation”