Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:26 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:06 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 pm

I'll say one thing for Rafa, at least he's consistent.

Everton - 6 months
Real Madrid - 6 months
Inter - 7 months

His biggest failure for me was Real Madrid. He was only in the door and when asked by a reporter he refused to call Ronaldo the best player in the world. He was doomed from that moment.

I think its unfair to compare him with Mourinho. I think the game has moved and left both of them behind but Jose in his prime was by far the better coach. I can remember after Porto won the Champions League and Valencia won La Liga in 2004 there was talk Liverpool were in for Mourinho but Rafa was the fallback option. What might have been!
I agree Rafa was always in Mourinho's wake. But he was competent by most standards. He, sadly, was never at Jose's level, but happily for me, he gave LFC their first major trophy for a LOOOOOOOONNNNGG time.
Talk about some of the impossible jobs Rafa has had, like taking over Inter right after their absolute peak? Only one way to go at that point and that's down.

But I heard some of the stories about Jose and how he really wanted the Liverpool job after Porto but the guys in charge thought his values weren't aligned with club's values or some such, so they went with Rafa. It's been said that this was part of the reason for their rivalry that followed. Rafa's achievements at Valencia, winning 2 titles in 3 years is as big as Jose's CL win with Porto for me.
In retrospect, Jose and Liverpool may have been successful, but brief. He never stays.
The reason I like Klopp and (I'm afraid to say) Fergie, is they were medium/long term. Jose ain't.
I honestly believe had things turned out differently, Rafa would have stuck around. Maybe the pull of Spain would have been too much. But I honestly believe he has a genuine attachment to Liverpool.
Now it's all over. And I feel quite sad for him.
Imagine being succeeded by Rooney.
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:15 pm
I honestly believe had things turned out differently, Rafa would have stuck around. Maybe the pull of Spain would have been too much. But I honestly believe he has a genuine attachment to Liverpool.
Definitely has a genuine attachment to the city, you saw him sobbing at Hillsborough memorials, his kids went to school there, his wife involved in Liverpool charities etc
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:28 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:15 pm
Definitely has a genuine attachment to the city, you saw him sobbing at Hillsborough memorials, his kids went to school there, his wife involved in Liverpool charities etc
The front runners to replace Rafa -
Rooney - not experienced enough and Big Dunc would dominate him.
Martinez - Surely not - Everton don't have the personnel of Belguim. Plus, they sacked him.
Potter - He'd have to be stark raving mad to take on the crap show at Everton.
Trader Pat

I think they should give it to Big Dunc if for no other reason than to stop everyman and his dog saying give it to Big Dunc
DrB

Euler wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:22 pm
What did they say? I'm guessing they voided a bet at some point, perhaps around a goal?
They just said that 2 of my bets had been voided (which occured after the match, I traded out after 1st goal) and everything had been settled correctly.

Infuriating that it happened after I'd finished my trading session and closed everything down. I always keep ladders open just in case they void some bets in the middle of a match.
Trader Pat

What a story in Milan!

1-1 two minutes into injury time, Milan player gets fouled on the edge of the box, the ball rolls to his teammate who curls it into the top corner but the ref had blown his whistle for the foul 😬

Then with virtually the last action of the game Spezia catch Milan on the counter and score a winner :o

And on top of all that Milan missed a first half penalty!
Derek27

Atrocious conditions in Turkey.
psychoff

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm
Atrocious conditions in Turkey.
Agree. Just a usual day in Gaziantep tho:)
Derek27

About 8 minutes to make a VAR decision, award a penalty and for it to be taken...and he misses!!
psychoff

BF probably keeps the match odds market open deliberately. My advice is, DONT GET INVOLVED. If you win, it will be voided 99%. If you lose... (you can imagine the result)!
Derek27

psychoff wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:58 pm
BF probably keeps the match odds market open deliberately. My advice is, DONT GET INVOLVED. If you win, it will be voided 99%. If you lose... (you can imagine the result)!
I hadn't noticed. I'm an over/under man and they closed those markets. I generally build up free bets on a couple of under markets, switch the free bet to overs when the price is low enough and wait for a goal.
MobiusGrey

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:05 pm

I hadn't noticed. I'm an over/under man and they closed those markets. I generally build up free bets on a couple of under markets, switch the free bet to overs when the price is low enough and wait for a goal.
Forgive me for asking probably a stupid question but if you've taken the time and risk to build up a free bet why wouldn't you just green this up and pocket it rather than then having a punt in a different market? Or is it just to make what could be a boring match into something more interesting?
Derek27

Looks as though they're considering if the match can continue in the snow.
psychoff

Postponed...
Derek27

MobiusGrey wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:26 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:05 pm

Forgive me for asking probably a stupid question but if you've taken the time and risk to build up a free bet why wouldn't you just green this up and pocket it rather than then having a punt in a different market? Or is it just to make what could be a boring match into something more interesting?
Nothing daft about that question. :) If you've got a free bet of £20 on the under market and the price is 1.1, you can pocket almost £20, your you can lay the profit away for a £200 free bet on overs. A goal, depending on the stage of the match, could push the price up to 1.5. That would give you a free bet of £100 on the unders or a green of £67. Two goals in the second half, with 20 minutes to go could push the price above 2.0.

That's what I love about o/u markets. You've got options, can switch sides, start trading with more of the profit you've built up and less of your hard cash, etc. :D
Last edited by Derek27 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football trading”