Opta football data or similar

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Wolf1877

I quite often see people posting player heat maps and diagrams showing players pass maps on football forums etc. I'd assume most of the people posting this stuff are not professional data analytics experts paying Opta a fortune for this data.
I'd really like access to ball in play and VAR decisions etc specificially for the Premier League initially.The kind of in game data that Sofascore publish but I dont want to scrape their data. Is anybody aware of availability of this data for non profit/non professional use or affordable developer licences etc where I wouldnt have to pay a fortune for the data. I'm not looking to monetise this data for betting or otherwise monetise the data.
Euler

You may find www.whoscored.com of interest
Wolf1877

Thanks for the link, looks quite a useful site.
Wolf1877

I heard that Tony Bloom (Brighton FC owner) made a lot of his money on "Far East gambling markets".

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or examples of
  • the kind of markets he may have been operating in? Names of websites etc
  • any knowledge of the kind of volume that goes through through these markets on Premier League games?
  • any background info on why these markets tend not to ban winning punters or deactivate their accounts?
sionascaig

Wolf1877 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:40 am
I heard that Tony Bloom (Brighton FC owner) made a lot of his money on "Far East gambling markets".

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or examples of
  • the kind of markets he may have been operating in? Names of websites etc
  • any knowledge of the kind of volume that goes through through these markets on Premier League games?
  • any background info on why these markets tend not to ban winning punters or deactivate their accounts?
I think MegaRain posted a link to some podcasts a while ago that covered Asian markets.. Some of the takeaways for me were:

- The bookies operated systems that were very good at spreading risk downstream (a pyramid type structure)
- Betters are classified as regular punters, professionals & cheats
- A professional could make a consistent profit of c10%
- A cheat did not lose (v often)
- They were quite happy to take both of the later bets in effect "paying" for knowledge & could punt risk elsewhere
- The markets are vast, mainly unregulated & often filling a gap where betting is illegal
henbet22

https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-bloom-st ... 8-Feb2016/

Its 7 years old the article so figures are a bit low but some good info is there.

e.g
(In the Camden office there are about 30 football researchers who generate internal data. They do this by watching matches and recording things like goal-scoring opportunities or shots on target.

A former employee says: “If a game was 0-0 but the home team had missed a penalty, the best scoreline to go back into a predictive model would be something like 0.8. If a team missed a penalty and had, say, two shots where they hit the woodwork, they probably deserved to win.” )

Seems like xG on handicaps are key. Also great angle inputting the theoretical score rather than the actual score.

Anyway a good read for a Sunday as Starc has blown the batters away......
sniffer66

Wolf1877 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:42 am
I quite often see people posting player heat maps and diagrams showing players pass maps on football forums etc. I'd assume most of the people posting this stuff are not professional data analytics experts paying Opta a fortune for this data.
I'd really like access to ball in play and VAR decisions etc specificially for the Premier League initially.The kind of in game data that Sofascore publish but I dont want to scrape their data. Is anybody aware of availability of this data for non profit/non professional use or affordable developer licences etc where I wouldnt have to pay a fortune for the data. I'm not looking to monetise this data for betting or otherwise monetise the data.
For info, Sofascore do have an unpublished API. It's far quicker to pull from the endpoints rather than scrape it. I have a few posts in the football automation forum that use it to get data. There's decent data to be had
StellaBot

I have started building my personal spreadsheet from this website
Its at an early base stage for me
Eg Under the squad standard stats- has shots, shots on target Xg etc
I have not thought about any additional info, structural changes, formulas etc
but the website/my spreadsheet may be a start of ideas for others

https://fbref.com/en/comps/

I
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StellaBot on Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
StellaBot

There are other data sources if I dont get banned for saying
Wolf1877

sionascaig wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:27 am
I think MegaRain posted a link to some podcasts a while ago that covered Asian markets.. Some of the takeaways for me were:

- The bookies operated systems that were very good at spreading risk downstream (a pyramid type structure)
- Betters are classified as regular punters, professionals & cheats
- A professional could make a consistent profit of c10%
- A cheat did not lose (v often)
- They were quite happy to take both of the later bets in effect "paying" for knowledge & could punt risk elsewhere
- The markets are vast, mainly unregulated & often filling a gap where betting is illegal
henbet22 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:28 am
https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-bloom-st ... 8-Feb2016/

Its 7 years old the article so figures are a bit low but some good info is there.

e.g
(In the Camden office there are about 30 football researchers who generate internal data. They do this by watching matches and recording things like goal-scoring opportunities or shots on target.

A former employee says: “If a game was 0-0 but the home team had missed a penalty, the best scoreline to go back into a predictive model would be something like 0.8. If a team missed a penalty and had, say, two shots where they hit the woodwork, they probably deserved to win.” )

Seems like xG on handicaps are key. Also great angle inputting the theoretical score rather than the actual score.

Anyway a good read for a Sunday as Starc has blown the batters away......
sniffer66 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:55 pm
For info, Sofascore do have an unpublished API. It's far quicker to pull from the endpoints rather than scrape it. I have a few posts in the football automation forum that use it to get data. There's decent data to be had
Thanks guys! Some excellent info there.
StellaBot

No problem

Only Gary Linekers get banned

Return to “Football trading”