Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
LeTiss

I'm expecting some volatility on West Brom-Saints when the teams are announced

With Fulham disappearing, Saints relegation fears are over.
I expect Hasenhuttl to be more focused on Sunday's FA Cup Semi-Final than tonight, so there's every chance he could field a weaker side than normal
wearthefoxhat

LeTiss wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 am
I'm expecting some volatility on West Brom-Saints when the teams are announced

With Fulham disappearing, Saints relegation fears are over.
I expect Hasenhuttl to be more focused on Sunday's FA Cup Semi-Final than tonight, so there's every chance he could field a weaker side than normal
Good shout.
Trader Pat

Real Madrid arriving at their hotel in Liverpool today.. that has got to be an omen!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dallas

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm
Real Madrid arriving at their hotel in Liverpool today.. that has got to be an omen!! :D
Let's hope so

Looking forward to this match being another magical European night at Anfield
Kai

Lowkey optimistic 👍
Morbius

Dallas wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:35 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:02 pm
Let's hope so

Looking forward to this match being another magical European night at Anfield

Really hope I'm wrong as I love to see the English sides do well but I would be surprised to see them go through to be honest. Unlike the Barcelona first leg they were outplayed in the first leg and that could have been 6-1. Liverpool just don't look strong enough defensively to stop Real from scoring. For me, if they won the CL this season after everything that's happened would be many times more amazing than the Barce comeback......think Dortmund/City is a coin flip
Trader Pat

I'm looking forward to it, Madrid are having problems of their own so its doable.
Euler

You can't help but think with no crowd it's going to be a bit of an ask. Would be good if they could pull it off though!
Kai

Thiago and Jota benched 🤦‍♂️
Trader Pat

Seen a lot of that lately, dominate the game but struggle to put it in the net.

Concentrate on the league now and hopefully be in a position to overhaul the front line in the summer.
Kai

Gotta say Madrid was up there for the taking, one of those rare occasions where Klopp makes a right meal of it start to finish, cowardly game management in both legs, especially in tonight's game when Madrid had so many lineup issues and you don't even go for it until it's too late in the game and until everyone is devoid of confidence.

Where do you even start, shocking team selection in both games, cocked it up with that surprise Keita inclusion and embarrassingly subbed him off at 41mins in the 1st leg, lost the tie right there already in the 1st half and shattered Keita's confidence in the process, could have waited 3 mins until HT at least. I guess he wanted to surprise them but backfired spectacularly, has to be record worst performance that Madrid has ever seen over there.

Second game you need goals but you bench your best attacker in insane form, and go with Firmino and Mane who completely lost confidence many months ago, when you know none of them can score if Salah has an off day, Klopp loyal to a fault.

Meanwhile the guy who won everything last year with Bayern and has finally hit good form randomly gets benched for both matches and Milner suddenly becomes a starter against Kroos and Modric, when he can barely keep up with Brighton's midfield, surprisingly ends up chasing shadows in both games and offers nothing in the attacking third.

I'm actually mad :lol: 🤦‍♂️
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 pm
Gotta say Madrid was up there for the taking, one of those rare occasions where Klopp makes a right meal of it start to finish, cowardly game management in both legs, especially in tonight's game when Madrid had so many lineup issues and you don't even go for it until it's too late in the game and until everyone is devoid of confidence.

Where do you even start, shocking team selection in both games, cocked it up with that surprise Keita inclusion and embarrassingly subbed him off at 41mins in the 1st leg, lost the tie right there already in the 1st half and shattered Keita's confidence in the process, could have waited 3 mins until HT at least. I guess he wanted to surprise them but backfired spectacularly, has to be record worst performance that Madrid has ever seen over there.

Second game you need goals but you bench your best attacker in insane form, and go with Firmino and Mane who completely lost confidence many months ago, when you know none of them can score if Salah has an off day, Klopp loyal to a fault.

Meanwhile the guy who won everything last year with Bayern and has finally hit good form randomly gets benched for both matches and Milner suddenly becomes a starter against Kroos and Modric, when he can barely keep up with Brighton's midfield, surprisingly ends up chasing shadows in both games and offers nothing in the attacking third.

Can't beat a good rant from a footy fan. TBH listening on radio it sounded like a team battering against a closed door, with the the risk of getting hit on the break. Basically a competent away European performance. That's all. LFC have personnel issues, but who doesn't?
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:11 pm
Can't beat a good rant from a footy fan.
It's better than going to players' Instagram to spam monkey emojis 🤦‍♂️

Morbius

Kai wrote:

IMO the entire season has been affected by the Van Dijk injury. This may sound overly simplistic but I think it pretty much boils down to it. The balance of a team is affected when its defensively fragile. because if you still attack in the same way then this is when wacky score lines happen like 4-3 and 7-2. Klopp understands the position they are in now. Last season in the league their goal difference was 85-33, this season its 53-37 with 7 games left. That simply reflects that they can no longer attack efficiently as a unit because they are no longer defending as one. I'm not saying this is the only issue they have because it isn't but its a delicate balancing act between scoring and defending as the level of opposition increases. Imagine the criticism if they had got beat 5-0 in the first leg?? Similar to what Pep did against Dortmund when he clearly recognised the threat Haaland posed and that this threat wasn't something they faced week in and week out in the premier league and even if you do go gung ho against Borussia, this is a vital tie with no second chances if you mess it up. In this instance the "threat" was Liverpools own defensive fragility.

I wasn't sure about Peps team selection but he called it right and somebody like that is always going to make a more informed decision than people on the outside because they are doing it with more data. I said before the game that if Liverpool won the CL this season that it would be a much greater achievement than the comeback win against Barce but I felt that the hurdle was too big this time but hey its a cup competition so they stood a chance. But you can quote team selection until the cows come home but in the first leg, couldn't defend a 50yd Toni Kroos long ball for the first goal, A Trent howler for the second and not closed down for the third and Vinicious scored from a position where Virgil would have been ditto for first goal. VVD to Liverpool is what Messi was to Barcelona, Ronaldo to Madrid, Keane to Man Utd etc, you just can't lose a player of that calibre for a full season and levels not drop.
wearthefoxhat

Kai wrote:

Also it's about timing when you play a team. On balance, Real Madrid are rated a better team, and would be expected to qualify.
Source; http://clubelo.com/

TopHalfPrem.png
TopHalfSpain.png

Already mentoned are the missing players...

Out.png

Get them fit for next season, and go again. (Maybe with just the europa league to focus on)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Football trading”