Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
darchas

Thought this was an interesting read on creating and maintaining a quality pitch:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... obal-en-GB
Derek27

darchas wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:41 pm
Thought this was an interesting read on creating and maintaining a quality pitch:

Makes Man City's achievements all the more remarkable when their players had to slog through 23mm of grass all season, 4mm more than ideal. ;)

I need all the help I can get with my football pitch. I trimmed too much grass after the wet weather and parts of it have suffocated. :(
darchas

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:47 pm
darchas wrote:

Makes Man City's achievements all the more remarkable when their players had to slog through 23mm of grass all season, 4mm more than ideal. ;)

I need all the help I can get with my football pitch. I trimmed too much grass after the wet weather and parts of it have suffocated. :(
You do some groundskeeping Derek?
Derek27

darchas wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:30 pm
Derek27 wrote:
darchas wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was referring to my 3 x 10 metre garden. Nobody in their right mind would put me in charge of a piece of turf. ;)
darchas

Derek27 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:33 pm
darchas wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:30 pm
Derek27 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was referring to my 3 x 10 metre garden. Nobody in their right mind would put me in charge of a piece of turf. ;)
:lol: :lol:

My own grass is pretty lamentable. The new house though has an artificial grass back garden which, although I'm far from a gardener, just seems sacrilegious to me :lol: Feel like I'm going to have to put some proper grass in just to end up neglecting it :lol: :lol:
Derek27

Betfair don't seem to be cancelling bets after a goal's scored!
Derek27

Do Betfair never cancel Under n.5 lay bets after a goal? Just lost half my profit on a Brazilian match because I assumed they'd be cancelled.
Trader Pat

I celebrated Liverpool's Premier League title win by jumping up and down a lot and getting pissed!

I'll have to up my game next time to catch up with these guys! :D

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/featur ... c-k2-climb
firlandsfarm

I read UEFA have dropped the away goals rule for club championships. Back to parking the bus!
MobiusGrey

firlandsfarm wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:41 pm
I read UEFA have dropped the away goals rule for club championships. Back to parking the bus!
Ah, interesting your view on this, I thought it would have the opposite effect. With no away goals rule in the first leg it may mean the home team take a less cautious approach rather than living in fear if they concede they then have to score twice. Also it may mean in the second leg the team that would have the away goal no longer being able to park the bus defending it.
LeTiss

I notice some cynical views on Twitter with regards to UEFA dropping the away goals rule.......they reckon it will open the door to games being played on neutral venues - such as USA or Asia!!

The European Super League was avoided, but what UEFA has planned may be just as bad
greenmark

LeTiss wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:03 pm
I notice some cynical views on Twitter with regards to UEFA dropping the away goals rule.......they reckon it will open the door to games being played on neutral venues - such as USA or Asia!!

The European Super League was avoided, but what UEFA has planned may be just as bad
That was my first reaction. It's a revenue opportunity. Games that would have ended will be extended into extra time.
And I agree UEFA or ESL are both unpleasant and money-grasping. But as Morbius has waxed lyrical about, football is properly monetised and if you pay anything towards it, you are partly responsible for the excess.
This is just the latest gambit from UEFA.
Trader Pat

I think its common sense to scrap it and for once I don't think its got anything to do with politics or money.

The away goal rule was introduced in the mid 60's because 99% of away teams parked the bus, those days are long gone. The original logic behind it was to encourage away teams to have a go but over time its had the effect of home teams sitting back. I'll miss it on one hand but it ruined a lot more games than those it made exciting. And if more games go to extra time so what? Might mean more penalty shoot outs and it doesn't get much more exciting than that.
Derek27

Norwegian fans deserve an award for their singing. They're currently singing Supertramp's The Logical Song. :D
firlandsfarm

MobiusGrey wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:50 pm
Ah, interesting your view on this, I thought it would have the opposite effect. With no away goals rule in the first leg it may mean the home team take a less cautious approach rather than living in fear if they concede they then have to score twice. Also it may mean in the second leg the team that would have the away goal no longer being able to park the bus defending it.
The away goals rule was introduced because teams would park the bus when playing their away leg first with the hope of no deficit for their return home leg. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. :)

Return to “Football trading”