Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:56 pm
He owes Liverpool those 3 points in the last game, surely. For everything he put us through with the likes of Konchesky and Poulsen :lol:

But I'm sure he had a nice time managing in Sweden or wherever.
Ahhhh, Konchesky. I remember a game v Spurs. Konchesky as left back was supposed to guard that side of the box when the ball was on our right. He slept and someone (that I can't remember or google) whizzed past Konchecky's shoulder and scored. But the scorer was notoriously quick.
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:09 pm
Kai wrote:
He owes Liverpool those 3 points in the last game, surely. For everything he put us through with the likes of Konchesky and Poulsen :lol:

Ahhhh, Konchesky. I remember a game v Spurs. Konchesky as left back was supposed to guard that side of the box when the ball was on our right. He slept and someone (that I can't remember or google) whizzed past Konchecky's shoulder and scored. But the scorer was notoriously quick.
He got a lot of stick from fans. And if you remember his mum had to defend him against hordes of "scouse scum" on her Facebook :)
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:17 pm
greenmark wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:09 pm
Kai wrote:

He got a lot of stick from fans. And if you remember his mum had to defend him against hordes of "scouse scum" on her Facebook :)
I've no problem with Konchesky. Being a player for a top six team brings all sorts of criticism. Konch was so close to being great, but wasn't. Still, several million in the bank. Happy days! And good luck to him in his coaching.
Trader Pat

My abiding memory of Hodgson (apart from his time at Liverpool) was shouting at Ronaldo (O Fenomeno) to track back during a game against Roma! :lol:
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:43 pm
My abiding memory of Hodgson (apart from his time at Liverpool) was shouting at Ronaldo (O Fenomeno) to track back during a game against Roma! :lol:
I reckon he deserves respect. It's a vicious environment. To still be there at 73 and choose your own point of departure is an achievement. Style of play etc is purely subjective. He has contracts a plenty to define his competence objectively.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:53 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
I reckon he deserves respect. It's a vicious environment. To still be there at 73 and choose your own point of departure is an achievement. Style of play etc is purely subjective. He has contracts a plenty to define his competence objectively.
He absolutely does, he's been a well respected coach for a long time. I think he's always been seen more as a steady hand rather than a coach who's really going to win anything though. And there's a lot to be said for that especially in the Premier League. I'll be backing Palace to get relegated next season especially if they bring in Lampard.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:53 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

He's a very competent manager at his level and his CV proves it but I lost a lot of respect for him as a man after our Euro 2016 loss to Iceland when he resigned straight after the game. He basically didn't have the backbone to face the media and the fans backlash after trousering 12m quid over the previous 4 years. Only when he was coerced by FA officials did he give an interview and then had the nerve to say he didn't know why he had to be there because he was no longer England manager... Spineless

I'm afraid that's MY memory of Roy Hodgson
Trader Pat

He hasn't retired by the way, he's just taking a sabbatical.

So you may see him at a club near you in the future... somewhere on the south coast perhaps?! :P
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:52 pm

So you may see him at a club near you in the future... somewhere on the south coast perhaps?! :P
I think it's about time he retires, just last week he was caught dozing off in the middle of an exciting counter attack 🦉

MemphisFlash

all set up for tonights game
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:46 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:52 pm

I think it's about time he retires, just last week he was caught dozing off in the middle of an exciting counter attack 🦉

I'm acutely aware of being a member of a forum dominated by Englishmen so I'm saying nothing :D
Euler

I'm amazed Woy has kept going for this long. Hasn't had an easy life and it must be tough at Palace, so deserves a relaxing retirement. I don't know how these guys manage at such an age.
footysystems

MemphisFlash wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:54 pm
all set up for tonights game

Capture.JPG
That a nice bit of kit Memphis 🙂
Trader Pat

Another Mike Dean masterclass unfolding at Stamford Bridge! :lol:
Kai

Another Leicester win would be lovely

Return to “Football trading”