Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Derek27

I don't like to see players get injured but it is nevertheless a relief when you realise that's why the market's just been suspended. :)
Derek27

There's a guy playing for Rotherham called 'On a Sunday'. :lol:
Kai

If José doesn't win a trophy with Spurs that will be a career-ending injury to his égo.
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:27 pm
greenmark wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:57 pm
Kind of weird the way Mourinho has fallen from his pedastal as a serial winner.

Its pretty easy to figure the why greenmark. He's like the kid in school who has fights with everybody and then wonders why he has no mates.

If you look at the big title winning clubs in England, City/Chelsea/Liverpool and I'm throwing in United. Burned his bridges at Chelsea and United. Liverpool and City wouldn't go near him. So let's move onto Spain. Burned his bridges at Real Madrid and Barcelona wouldn't go near him. So now move onto Germany. Bayern wouldn't have him so that leaves Dortmund who wouldn't have him either. So now let's move onto Italy. He's been to Inter but they have slipped a long way behind Juventus who wouldn't want him so where does he go to win the CL or even a domestic title in a major league??? PSG wouldn't take him either. Could you EVER imagine Guardiola or Klopp ending up at Tottenham?? He's done as a CL winning manager and probably a domestic league title winning manager too but he will still pick up the odd Europa/FA Cup/Carabao or foreign equivalent. I wouldn't be shocked to see him manage Portugal as that may be the only "club" side left soon and a crack at the World Cup may suit his ego
That's possibly the most excoriating demolition of a formerly top manager's chances. And I can't disagree.
It's just a shame for me. I liked his 'The Special One'' audacity. And until Real Madrid I believe his players were 100% onside.
Another example that put's Fergie's and Wenger's tenures into sharp relief. It's a tough job. No wonder they're paid millions.
Derek27

Pretty sure BLV is at least 15 seconds behind in Argentina.
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 pm
If José doesn't win a trophy with Spurs that will be a career-ending injury to his égo.

Not helped by the pathetic performance in the second leg against Dinamo after leading 2-0. Zagreb's goals were stunners but no Premier league side should have been knocked out the way they were. Was that the fault of the players and if so why and are some of them reacting to some of his comments???
Kai

Agreed, the fact he got knocked out of Europe by my home team made it that much sweeter :)

Pogba had a few more swipes at him today as well, created some headlines with that. Big summer ahead for Spurs.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:23 pm
Morbius wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:27 pm
greenmark wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:57 pm
Kind of weird the way Mourinho has fallen from his pedastal as a serial winner.

Its pretty easy to figure the why greenmark. He's like the kid in school who has fights with everybody and then wonders why he has no mates.

If you look at the big title winning clubs in England, City/Chelsea/Liverpool and I'm throwing in United. Burned his bridges at Chelsea and United. Liverpool and City wouldn't go near him. So let's move onto Spain. Burned his bridges at Real Madrid and Barcelona wouldn't go near him. So now move onto Germany. Bayern wouldn't have him so that leaves Dortmund who wouldn't have him either. So now let's move onto Italy. He's been to Inter but they have slipped a long way behind Juventus who wouldn't want him so where does he go to win the CL or even a domestic title in a major league??? PSG wouldn't take him either. Could you EVER imagine Guardiola or Klopp ending up at Tottenham?? He's done as a CL winning manager and probably a domestic league title winning manager too but he will still pick up the odd Europa/FA Cup/Carabao or foreign equivalent. I wouldn't be shocked to see him manage Portugal as that may be the only "club" side left soon and a crack at the World Cup may suit his ego
That's possibly the most excoriating demolition of a formerly top manager's chances. And I can't disagree.
It's just a shame for me. I liked his 'The Special One'' audacity. And until Real Madrid I believe his players were 100% onside.
Another example that put's Fergie's and Wenger's tenures into sharp relief. It's a tough job. No wonder they're paid millions.

He created some special teams at Porto and Inter and winning the CL without being a part of the four major European leagues is tough but Mourinho did that at Porto. However that was 17 years ago now and the game has moved on. Back when I first started betting on football you found teams like Steaua Bucherest, PSV and Red Star winning the European Cup but those days are gone. It is a tough job as you say but Mourinho makes it tougher on himself and this passes on to the teams he manages and the players. Too many players are effectively downing tools in the teams he manages after a while under him. The spat with Paul Pogba being another example. I would love to be a fly on the wall when senior players are consulted (which they are) at top clubs when asked if they would consider working under him. His 2015 prem title may just have been his swansong of winning a footballing "major" and its not because he's not good enough. His two cups at United is still the best return since Fergie left and his 81pts total the season City got 100pts is still the best points total United have had since Fergie left and the same total Leicester iirc won the league with.

Mourinho took the Spurs job because he had no options. If he could have got a top job he would have had a sabbatical for a while like Guardiola did before Bayern or worked as a pundit. Clubs like Tottenham/AS Roma/Monaco are his new level. Plus he's knocking on for 60 and is some years older than Guardiola and Klopp and you have to wonder how burn out affects these top managers. and why Ancellotti at 61 is at Everton instead of having a top job. I actually like him in many ways but he's reaping the worldwind of his own personality the deeper he goes into his career but despite all that....what a career when you consider he started out as an interpreter....I call that pretty special :-)
Kai

I personally feel he'll go into punditry soon, just so he can stay relevant and regularly remind people what he's won in the past.

Either that or he'll have a crack with Portugal and go for the big trophies, their upcoming generation is pretty nuts.
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:44 pm
Agreed, the fact he got knocked out of Europe by my home team made it that much sweeter :)

Pogba had a few more swipes at him today as well, created some headlines with that. Big summer ahead for Spurs.

Was Dinamo your team Kai or just your home town team as there are a few in Zagreb iirc
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 pm
I personally feel he'll go into punditry soon, just so he can stay relevant and regularly remind people what he's won in the past.

Either that or he'll have a crack with Portugal and go for the big trophies, their upcoming generation is pretty nuts.

He's getting tetchy now because his excuses are running out. He's been at Tottenham long enough now for excuses to end. His reaction to what OGS said about Son and not feeding his kids was nothing more than deflecting tactics. He and everybody else on the planet knew that Olly didn't mean it literally and wasn't actually saying he wouldn't feed his kids. He knows the English language well enough to understand that over exaggeration is a part of English humour. His deflecting tactics after a 3-1 defeat was just typical Mourinho and it looked exactly what it was when he ended the conference....pathetic.
Kai

Yep. Supported Dinamo since I was a toddler, then started casually supporting Liverpool as well in late nineties mostly because of Sporty Spice who promoted the club :)

But got fully immersed after the Istanbul final in 2005 when I was in college, watched the final stoned with friends which probably enhanced the whole experience, couldn't believe the fans at HT or the comeback so I was beyond hooked.
Trader Pat

Just realised there will be some fans at the Chelsea - City game tomorrow!

Really looking forward to hearing that!
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:10 pm
Kai wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:57 pm

He's getting tetchy now because his excuses are running out. He's been at Tottenham long enough now for excuses to end. His reaction to what OGS said about Son and not feeding his kids was nothing more than deflecting tactics. He and everybody else on the planet knew that Olly didn't mean it literally and wasn't actually saying he wouldn't feed his kids. He knows the English language well enough to understand that over exaggeration is a part of English humour. His deflecting tactics after a 3-1 defeat was just typical Mourinho and it looked exactly what it was when he ended the conference....pathetic.
Tell me to shut up if you wish. :-) But the use of the word "pathetic" annoys me. It's invariably used as a pejorative. For me it means "arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.". If you want to crtiticise Jose, call him a knobhead. It's much clearer! :-)
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:17 pm
Yep. Supported Dinamo since I was a toddler, then started casually supporting Liverpool as well in late nineties mostly because of Sporty Spice who promoted the club :)

But got fully immersed after the Istanbul final in 2005 when I was in college, watched the final stoned with friends which probably enhanced the whole experience, couldn't believe the fans at HT or the comeback so I was beyond hooked.

Yeah that Istanbul night was one of those games where you remember where you were when you watched it and I remember the game like it was yesterday. Strangely enough I was looking up Vladimir Smicer yesterday as I was curious to know what happened to him.

I was always curious who would have taken Liverpool's 5th penalty if Shevchenko had scored, would have been SG surely??? There were some tough teams in Eastern Europe before money came into the game. I used to love watching teams like CSKA and Dynamo Kiev and I even remember Dinamo Tblisi beating Liverpool 3-0 when they were defending champions. Lech Poznan were solid and Dinamo Bucherest came close to reaching the 84 final.....oh and Hajduk were pretty good too :-)

Return to “Football trading”