Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:20 pm
darchas wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:07 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:44 am
It was a really enjoyable game :lol:

Some great pens in the shoot out but it should never have got to 11-10, the Villareal goalie had his hands on a couple and couldn't keep them out. Felt a bit for De Gea having to play the villain. Biggest moment in Villarreal's history so it was nice there were some fans there to share it.

Highlight of the night for me was listening to those ex Utd players in the studio.. what a sour bunch. Was disappointed in Scholes, always thought he had a bit more about him as a pundit but he was as vinegar as the rest of them after the game.

If Utd want to be serious contenders then they should hire the newly available Conte, he'd sort them out. But they'll stick with Fergie's pet and won't win anything of note except maybe a domestic trophy.

Now if only Chelsea can beat City at the weekend then it would be the perfect end to the season :D
Amazingly I saw a stat that said De Gea has now conceded the last 36 penalties he's faced, last saving one back in April 2016. Would be a tough call to pull a goalie off and swap out for a penalty shoot out, but given managers plan the takers might have been one to consider. Tough one though for sure and I imagine a fair bit of variance in that sample size.

Apologies for dragging this thread back 5 pages but have only just seen this. That is an amazing stat and very revealing about his technique. It could be just sample size error but I would be certainly looking close at him if I was the United goalkeeping coach.

IMO given the huge advantage the taker has, a keeper has to gamble to optimise his strike rate or at the very least do research on the likely takers that you will be facing but that comes down to the coaching staff and in particular the analytical team.

I recall during the 1990 WC semi, Peter Shilton read every single penalty but was beaten every time simply because his reaction time couldn't match a well placed penalty. Some keepers don't want to appear stupid going the wrong way. In some cases if you know the taker doesn't always strike them cleanly then reading and delaying works. But in Italia 90 the Germans took exceptional pens and again in Euro 96.

But 36/36 is way off as he should have been saving 25% of them and if he's as good as people make out then he should be hitting 30%. With De Gea he always has this look about him that he's not happy and going through the motions
Saving a penalty is a skill. But general goalkeeping is different. I like De Gea (although he looks a bit demotivated at the moment). He took a lot of stick when he joined Man U. I think he's been bigger than Schmeichel because he's had a flaky defence and midfield. But certainly noticed a drop-off over the last few months.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:53 pm
Morbius wrote:
darchas wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:07 pm

Amazingly I saw a stat that said De Gea has now conceded the last 36 penalties he's faced, last saving one back in April 2016. Would be a tough call to pull a goalie off and swap out for a penalty shoot out, but given managers plan the takers might have been one to consider. Tough one though for sure and I imagine a fair bit of variance in that sample size.

Apologies for dragging this thread back 5 pages but have only just seen this. That is an amazing stat and very revealing about his technique. It could be just sample size error but I would be certainly looking close at him if I was the United goalkeeping coach.

IMO given the huge advantage the taker has, a keeper has to gamble to optimise his strike rate or at the very least do research on the likely takers that you will be facing but that comes down to the coaching staff and in particular the analytical team.

I recall during the 1990 WC semi, Peter Shilton read every single penalty but was beaten every time simply because his reaction time couldn't match a well placed penalty. Some keepers don't want to appear stupid going the wrong way. In some cases if you know the taker doesn't always strike them cleanly then reading and delaying works. But in Italia 90 the Germans took exceptional pens and again in Euro 96.

But 36/36 is way off as he should have been saving 25% of them and if he's as good as people make out then he should be hitting 30%. With De Gea he always has this look about him that he's not happy and going through the motions
Saving a penalty is a skill. But general goalkeeping is different. I like De Gea (although he looks a bit demotivated at the moment). He took a lot of stick when he joined Man U. I think he's been bigger than Schmeichel because he's had a flaky defence and midfield. But certainly noticed a drop-off over the last few months.

Agree with all of that but I was just making the point really that at a club like United with the likely backroom staff they have then it shouldn't be just down to the "skill" of the keeper. I like De Gea too. Not sure about him being bigger than PS but he might be as you say... Just that I'd never thought about a comparison. When DDG was at his best there were non better in world football IMO
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:37 pm
greenmark wrote:
Morbius wrote:

Agree with all of that but I was just making the point really that at a club like United with the likely backroom staff they have then it shouldn't be just down to the "skill" of the keeper. I like De Gea too. Not sure about him being bigger than PS but he might be as you say... Just that I'd never thought about a comparison. When DDG was at his best there were non better in world football IMO
"When DDG was at his best there were non better in world football IMO". I think so. Been trying to find a clip of him saving a great free kick out of the postage stamp. Think it was against Chelsea, must be more than 10 years ago now. But that's his USP. Pure springy athleticism. Penalties? Nah. No time to show his ability. If he's one on one, in open play, ie pure reaction then maybe. If he has sight of the ball for a bit longer than a penalty, he's brilliant. But it seems Henderson has displaced De Gea as No. 1 at United. Where next? Not Real or Barca. Seems like he'll vegetate at Man U. Terrible waste really.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:35 pm
Morbius wrote:
greenmark wrote:

"When DDG was at his best there were non better in world football IMO". I think so. Been trying to find a clip of him saving a great free kick out of the postage stamp. Think it was against Chelsea, must be more than 10 years ago now. But that's his USP. Pure springy athleticism. Penalties? Nah. No time to show his ability. If he's one on one, in open play, ie pure reaction then maybe. If he has sight of the ball for a bit longer than a penalty, he's brilliant. But it seems Henderson has displaced De Gea as No. 1 at United. Where next? Not Real or Barca. Seems like he'll vegetate at Man U. Terrible waste really.

Was that the save that got compared to Banks in the 70 WC???
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:57 pm
greenmark wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:35 pm
Morbius wrote:

Was that the save that got compared to Banks in the 70 WC???
Got it. 1:15 in saving a Mata free kick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRjHf1q46AA
Realrocknrolla

Over 4.5 in the Chesterfield game???

10 mins to go
Realrocknrolla

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:42 pm

10 mins to go
🤑🤑🤑🤑
Realrocknrolla

Realrocknrolla wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:42 pm

10 mins to go
What a game
Derek27

Every market suspended on the first Brazil Serie A match, except CS. Had to close my trade on the CS market. :x :x
andy28

Yeah very frustrating
Derek27

This is getting flipping ridiculous, if it wasn't already! Sole afternoon Brazilian match and it's suspended from the whistle. :x
Derek27

Now they're not suspending or closing markets after a goal.
greenmark

1.23 for England? In a friendly ahead of the biggest tournament for years? Are Romania that bad? They used to be very technical and tricky.
Derek27

What is the flipping point in having a match on the Sky red button if they start coverage halfway into the match??
Derek27

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:47 pm
Now they're not suspending or closing markets after a goal.
I backed the under 2.5 market probably a second after a goal was scored, and redded-up. Later found they voided all bets after the goal, leaving me in the green. :)

Return to “Football trading”