Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Trader Pat

This game is perfectly set up for Coutinho to come on and curl one into the top corner.
greenmark

Would you believe it? Villa have been good value. Well done!
Euler

greenmark

Euler wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 pm
Stunning free-kick - https://youtu.be/b4YnSgtE_kk?t=109
Corker. Inside out too! The lad has a definite talent. Not luck. He does this regularly. A joy for a Saints fan and neutral alike.
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:12 pm
Euler wrote:
Corker. Inside out too! The lad has a definite talent. Not luck. He does this regularly. A joy for a Saints fan and neutral alike.
Very Juninho-esque, JWP might as well stand for Juninho Ward-Pernambucano :shock:
Kai

Why can't they just move one of the matches to the other timeslot since the North London derby was postponed, now both matches are starting at the same time
psychoff

Euler wrote:
Definitely one of his best. And with this, he deserved to be sold in the next transfer season
greenmark

Benitez sacked.

Stupid decision. What now? Duncan Ferguson?
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:05 pm
Benitez sacked.

He shouldn't have been hired in the first place, it was never going to work. As soon as they lost a couple of games the fans were on his back which was always going to happen.

Moshiri another one of those owners who doesn't listen to the fans.
Kai

greenmark wrote:
Benitez sacked.

Strange decision indeed, thought he had done rather well actually

greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:36 pm
greenmark wrote:
Benitez sacked.

He shouldn't have been hired in the first place, it was never going to work. As soon as they lost a couple of games the fans were on his back which was always going to happen.

Moshiri another one of those owners who doesn't listen to the fans.
You don't sort out the mess at Everton without courage from the ownership.
They'll appoint ANother and it may work. But it's a scattergun approach.
Ancelloti was the real deal, but when Real Madrid come calling it's all over.
They should have had the guts to back Rafa. But maybe you are right.
Tribalism dictated that the moment things went wrong he would be fired by fan-power.
And if you accept that premise, then yes, appointing him in the first place was naive.
Nontheless, I think Everton have made a big mistake. But still hope they find some sort of solution.
They are now underperforming their budget significantly.
West Ham's performances have now started to match their budget.
Perhaps Everton need a manager like .....er......Moyes. :-)
Kai

I honestly hoped it would work out, I think Rafa has been very unlucky with his managerial jobs, feel he had some impossible jobs on his hands, including the Liverpool one during those skint days. Not the best man-manager but tactically I rate him a lot.

It was a pretty bad appointment all things considering, there was a decent upside but an obvious and considerable downside as well if things start going wrong, which they are pretty likely to in the post-covid era.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:09 pm
Perhaps Everton need a manager like .....er......Moyes. :-)

Moyes to Everton, Howe to West Ham and Rafa to Newcastle.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the last part of that come true next season.
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:15 pm
I honestly hoped it would work out, I think Rafa has been very unlucky with his managerial jobs, feel he had some impossible jobs on his hands, including the Liverpool one during those skint days. Not the best man-manager but tactically I rate him a lot.

It was a pretty bad appointment all things considering, there was a decent upside but an obvious and considerable downside as well if things start going wrong, which they are pretty likely to in the post-covid era.
There was a phase when he was in Fergie's shadow and Mourinho's wake (Inter, Chelsea, Real). But he was still able to be successful. Everton is his worst "failure".
I remember after he left Liverpool when he said his business at Liverpool was unfinished. I understand the sentiment, but think that dream has gone now.
Perhaps his lack of empathy has caught up with him. But look at Mourinho now. The once untouchable serial winner. Full of charisma and media-friendly sound-bites. Now just comes across as grumpy, blaming and (critically) not winning.
How are the mighty fallen!
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:36 pm
There was a phase when he was in Fergie's shadow and Mourinho's wake (Inter, Chelsea, Real). But he was still able to be successful. Everton is his worst "failure".
I remember after he left Liverpool when he said his business at Liverpool was unfinished. I understand the sentiment, but think that dream has gone now.
Perhaps his lack of empathy has caught up with him. But look at Mourinho now. The once untouchable serial winner. Full of charisma and media-friendly sound-bites. Now just comes across as grumpy, blaming and (critically) not winning.
How are the mighty fallen!
I'll say one thing for Rafa, at least he's consistent.

Everton - 6 months
Real Madrid - 6 months
Inter - 7 months

His biggest failure for me was Real Madrid. He was only in the door and when asked by a reporter he refused to call Ronaldo the best player in the world. He was doomed from that moment.

I think its unfair to compare him with Mourinho. The game has moved and left both of them behind but Jose in his prime was by far the better coach. I can remember after Porto won the Champions League and Valencia won La Liga in 2004 there was talk Liverpool were in for Mourinho but Rafa was the fallback option. What might have been!

Return to “Football trading”