Today's Football

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Derek27

I was just gonna update my Poisson databases. There hasn't been any soccer matches in the major leagues since last Monday!
Dallas

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm
I was just gonna update my Poisson databases. There hasn't been any soccer matches in the major leagues since last Monday!
Its an international break between 19th-27th Sept
greenmark

The exclusion of TTA from the squad v Germany puzzles me. He's way better than Walker et al. Is the value of his crossing/dead ball ability really negated by his defensive weakness? OK I may be biased as an LFC fan but the question does feed into Southgate's conserative approach.
Biggest thing that strikes me is that England's success at all levels has been due to an attacking approach. We're rubbish at sitting back and counter-attacking, go with what works.If you want to sit and counter I would suggest Gareth heads off to Italy for a bit.
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:08 pm
The exclusion of TTA from the squad v Germany puzzles me. He's way better than Walker et al. Is the value of his crossing/dead ball ability really negated by his defensive weakness? OK I may be biased as an LFC fan but the question does feed into Southgate's conserative approach.
Biggest thing that strikes me is that England's success at all levels has been due to an attacking approach. We're rubbish at sitting back and counter-attacking, go with what works.If you want to sit and counter I would suggest Gareth heads off to Italy for a bit.
I agree, England don't play as high up the pitch as Liverpool so the risk reward of Trent constantly getting caught out isn't as favourable for England as it is for Liverpool so I understand why you wouldn't start him but I'd definitely have him in the squad. Great option off the bench if you need a goal.

What a massive game this is though. Germany are all over the place and the pressure is on Flick as well as Southgate. A bad beating for either side here and who knows what the consequences could be.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:49 pm
greenmark wrote:
I agree, England don't play as high up the pitch as Liverpool so the risk reward of Trent constantly getting caught out isn't as favourable for England as it is for Liverpool so I understand why you wouldn't start him but I'd definitely have him in the squad. Great option off the bench if you need a goal.

What a massive game this is though. Germany are all over the place and the pressure is on Flick as well as Southgate. A bad beating for either side here and who knows what the consequences could be.
I think England should be Lions. I don't mind losing if we attack. there's nothing to lose and everything to gain from a loss/draw/win done with passion.
I suspect I may feel different at 10pm
Trader Pat

greenmark wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:07 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
greenmark wrote:

I think England should be Lions. I don't mind losing if we attack. there's nothing to lose and everything to gain from a loss/draw/win done with passion.
Yeah die on your sword etc... Southgate has proven he isn't that type of coach though.
Derek27

I'd much rather see the women play again.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:11 pm
greenmark wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:07 pm
Trader Pat wrote:

Yeah die on your sword etc... Southgate has proven he isn't that type of coach though.
England have been a joy to watch since the Capello debacle and the emergence of the youngsters showing seniors how to do it.. But recently we've reverted to passing about at the back. It's tedious and ineffective. Just go flat out! Have bravery and guts!
Derek27

Who's the minute silence for, has somebody died this week?
Derek27

Smart move by Southgate, putting The Pope in goal. :)
Derek27

Channel 4 is 9 seconds behind. Even more worrying is the man with the whistle who'll stop the game ended the minute's silence after about 40 seconds!
Derek27

They've put a trainee suspend monkey in charge of this game!
Noz

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:57 pm
They've put a trainee suspend monkey in charge of this game!
The monkey likes his new button, that's for sure. Must have been suspended 5 times already :roll:
Derek27

Cool penalty!
greenmark

The monkey has just ended his England career.

Return to “Football trading”