Football leagues and countries

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Derek27

Hi all, do footie traders have favourite leagues or countries where you get your best results or are you happy trading anything, anywhere as long as there's interest in the game and liquidity in the market?
Dallas

Football doesn't make up a large percentage of my trading but for most domestic footie I never look outside the main European leagues
Bog

Don't forget it depends on the situation. When there was no football in Europe, Belarus League was the top league for football traders :mrgreen:
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:54 am
Hi all, do footie traders have favourite leagues or countries where you get your best results or are you happy trading anything, anywhere as long as there's interest in the game and liquidity in the market?
Most footy traders I know do for the most part stick to their favorite leagues, mostly because of schedule and liquidity. If you're trading order flow you don't really care too much who plays and you just need a tradable market. Whatever is currently on should attract decent interest and money even if it's a crap league.

I like to stick to English football primarily, with the other 4 top leagues filling some of the gaps.
Derek27

Thanks for your replies. I'm just trading whatever's on at the time I feel like trading, which is mainly US, South America, Japan, and Korea. I've noticed they all trade differently. It will be interesting having a go closer to home. :)
NickH

Interesting element obviously also is the amount of information/knowledge you have about a certain match, which in my opinion always will be higher in matches in the country that you are currently living. And obviously the bigger European leagues where a lot of information is present.
Derek27

A couple more questions if you don't mind.

Does Betfair still suspend markets if a forward appears to be about to have a shot? If I remember correctly they did that when footie markets first went in-play, I'm not sure if they're still doing that or just randomly suspending markets.

And does anyone know, purely out of interest, why some markets have a 5-second delay, others have 9? It's quite frustrating when a goal is scored, somebody places an order as though the other team has scored, you try and grab it knowing he's got 9 seconds to change his mind whilst another 500 traders are after it. :)
rik

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:04 am
A couple more questions if you don't mind.

Does Betfair still suspend markets if a forward appears to be about to have a shot?
not for shots, just for fouls when might be a red card
wearthefoxhat

Derek27 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:54 am
Where the goals are flying in....season so far.

English Premier. Pld; 38 GPG (3.79)
Serie A. Pld; 28 GPG (3.50)
Bundesliga. Pld; 27 GPG (3.41)
Eyesnack

I trade most leagues bases on my strategies but its mostly done on Auto by my bot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv5gjmaq7y62m ... t.JPG?dl=0
Selmer

I really enjoy trading Chinese superleague. It`s not as popular as European leagues so if an opportunity appears, you definitely have time to take advantage of it before markets readjust. Also, it`s usually in the morning and almost never overlaps with any other tradable football.
Alexander_99

Serie A and Turkish Super Lig have been a favourite for a while.

Return to “Football trading”