Why Do People Use BetFair And Not Smarkets?

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Derek27

JustLukeYou wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:26 am
So let's I think Liverpool will win 2-1 or 3-1 and its 2-1 with 10 minutes left. On Smarkets I can trade out the 2-1 for a profit and if I choose to still let the 3-1 bet run. So if it finishes 3-1 I would make around 70% of my 2-1 bet back and 100% of the 3-1 odds back for a tidy profit. Yet on BetFair I have trade out the entire market and make make a lot less profit. Can someone please explain why people are using a fair less flexible trading platform. I can't see the logic behind it. Smarkets seem hands down far more flexible and their fees are much cheaper.
Best answer:
JustLukeYou wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:05 pm
...the liquidity is terrible on Smarkets sometimes.
Derek27

JustLukeYou wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:26 pm
I cant use BetAngel at the moment. I also can't see why I need to use a piece of software when another website does what I am looking for with less fees and no software costs.
You don't need a sledgehammer to crack open a nut. If all you want to do is back, lay and green-up by pressing a button without any control of your greening price, maybe you don't need software.

But in a previous episode you were asking how to place a bet and automatically close for a fixed amount when the price has gone x ticks against you. Try doing that on the Smarkets website!
JustLukeYou

So there is no way to trade out a single score on BetFair?
jimibt

JustLukeYou wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:09 pm
So there is no way to trade out a single score on BetFair?
yes.... just lay it with the same ££'s that you backed it with. manual effort i'm afraid, more than one button to press
Derek27

Or take the difference between your profit and loss, divide it by the closing price, and that gives you the amount to back or lay to close to green up.

Bet Angel Basic is free and useful for placing occasional bets, but does not offer the power of Trader or Professional products.

https://www.betangel.com/trader/compare.php

No ladder interface if I remember correctly but if it includes greening it might be sufficient for you.
spreadbetting

Nothing is ever just "sufficient " for Luke, you should know that by now , Derek.
Kai

Ah yes, many scholars have endlessly debated which exchange is better, Smarkets or Betfair. Sadly, there is no clear consensus yet so maybe it's all about preference! Do you prefer liquidity or no liquidity?

jamesedwards

Kai wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:24 pm
Ah yes, many scholars have endlessly debated which exchange is better, Smarkets or Betfair. Sadly, there is no clear consensus yet so maybe it's all about preference! Do you prefer liquidity or no liquidity?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
darchas

Kai wrote:

:lol:

Lol this is perfect :lol:
Derek27

Kai wrote:

Where did you get that picture of Luke?
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:07 pm
Where did you get that picture of Luke?
From same place you get your pron Dewick. The internets!
rik

smarkets 98% of liquidity is a bot mirroring betfair prices, its ok if you want to punt useless for trading
Emmson

People on here posting about Smarkets & Matchbook is why I don't have an account. Lots of people lots of times have just put me right off. My Betdaq has been inactive for a good while but soon I plan on using it again for a straight punting experiment. :o
spreadbetting

The fact they've been saying about releasing a public API for the last, god knows, how many years is enough to put me off. They seem to be in the pockets of their market makers who want to keep the API ringfenced to a few, having a clause to consider certain bets as palpable also confirms that.

Return to “Football trading”