What causes volatility in goal markets?

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
stueytrader

Apologies for the historical 'bump' but this post brought back some very fond memories myself.

I recall a lovely period where one could go into a bricks bookies and place coupon bets on matches (get the starting price) when it was actually half-time (maybe even finished, not sure about that one).

I recall backing something at about 2/1 once when the HT score was 2-0, and I'd actually seen that score by looking through a window of Dixons and seeing teletext showing the score - they still paid out, lol

Amazing to think how far we've come since those days....
Kai

Never apologize for "necroing" long dead threads, a lot of good genuine market feedback buried on the forum from its inception ๐Ÿ‘
Realrocknrolla

Kai wrote: โ†‘
Wed May 19, 2021 11:45 am
Never apologize for "necroing" long dead threads, a lot of good genuine market feedback buried on the forum from its inception ๐Ÿ‘
Inception!

What a movie ๐ŸŽฅ
stueytrader

Tis' very true, I actually came across this one while browsing and searching old posts, it's a good practice, as you say a lot good stuff buried on here. Like that film also.
Kai

stueytrader wrote: โ†‘
Wed May 19, 2021 12:33 pm
Tis' very true, I actually came across this one while browsing and searching old posts, it's a good practice, as you say a lot good stuff buried on here. Like that film also.
Well then imho you're asking the right questions in general no matter the markets, volatility and value probably the 2 keywords and topics for me. I remember this thread but I feel such topics of discussion are probably not suitable for a public forum.

But yeah, I guess the markets have many layers to them as well, and are similar to "Inception" in a way :)

Just because threads appear old doesn't mean the topics are any less relevant, they can be brand new to whoever discovers them whenever that may be. After all, the game of trading has been around for ages and most related topics are ancient anyway, besides the minor market nuances that maybe become obsolete once markets evolve over time.
stueytrader

Wed May 19, 2021 12:48 pm
Wed May 19, 2021 12:33 pm
Well then imho you're asking the right questions in general no matter the markets, volatility and value probably the 2 keywords and topics for me. I remember this thread but I feel such topics of discussion are probably not suitable for a public forum.

But yeah, I guess the markets have many layers to them as well, and are similar to "Inception" in a way :)

Just because threads appear old doesn't mean the topics are any less relevant, they can be brand new to whoever discovers them whenever that may be. After all, the game of trading has been around for ages and most related topics are ancient anyway, besides the minor market nuances that maybe become obsolete once markets evolve over time.
You are exactly right about my searching - I've been trying to understand the eternal issue of 'volatility' a bit more, to try and understand how they act essentially. Oddly that then ended up with me remembering placing aftertime bets at bookies! :lol:

There's a lot of good old posts about how markets act - the tricky part like you say is working out what still applies years later in markets...I think some does, some doesn't, and maybe even patterns that faded away return again sometimes.
stueytrader

Actually this particular thread is a lot more recent than some I've found recently - reading posts from around 2013 etc is very interesting.
Kai

Wed May 19, 2021 1:26 pm
Actually this particular thread is a lot more recent than some I've found recently - reading posts from around 2013 etc is very interesting.
Threads from 2013?? Those are practically from last week in the grand scheme of things!! :D

No, but seriously, if I were to offer one serious suggestion to anyone reading this I would say that once you build a decent enough trading skillset to then have a real objective look (without the burden of managing positions and risk) at markets you haven't explored before. If you observe them long enough with a neutral pair of eyes you may spot trading opportunities and then potentially build entire trading styles off of that. If you get too many ideas and potential angles then prioritize.

Can also rinse and repeat whenever you feel your skillset has plateaued etc.

You always have the option of going back to your old familiar markets if you feel your skillset is best utilized there, and you could be seeing them with a fresh pair of eyes, but I feel that real progress only ever starts outside of your comfort zones etc...
SpikeyBob

Here's my 2cents worth.

I think it's caused by traders exiting/adding to their positions for a profit based their individual 'secrets'.

It's mathematical and I also have a suspicion that prime numbers are involved somewhere along the timeline.

Oh and Hi again to the old timers who are still on here. ;)

Spikey

Return to โ€œFootball tradingโ€