European Super League

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Trader Pat

Morbius wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:43 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:15 pm

I like the Nations League, its gives the smaller nations a realistic chance of making the Euro's, gives them something to play for, and it was great to see the fans reactions in some of the games. And I'm broadly a fan of the new Conference League for the same reason.

I can't see the point in doing that because all it creates is poor quality ties down the line and dead rubbers. I don't want Estonia for example in the euros unless they become good enough to earn it. They expanded the CL and now look where we are... Group after group where you can predict the qualifiers. I struggle to watch garbage in any sport especially when I'm being charged for it. You can't increase quality by expansion. Maybe its me and I'm not romantic enough as loads of people love a giant killer story but for every one of them there are thirty Germany 6 Andorra 0 scorelines. Imagine horseracing without the class/group system. I don't see what gifting a team a weak achievement in the finals does. If you want to expand the sport to help smaller teams and organisations then you can't expect the public to financially prop that up by paying for tripe at the same time. Maybe I'm too cynical :o

I personally couldn't be bothered watching the League A matches in the Nations League but I do watch it for the League C & D games just because I find them more exciting so you could argue its worth part of your subscription fee. Anyway I don't think Sky have increased their fee because of the Nations Lge. These teams aren't exactly being handed a place in the Euro's they still have to earn it through finishing top of their League and then going through a play off. Will the team that qualifies from League D for the Euro's get stuffed in the tournament proper? Yeah probably. But there are always teams who qualify for the Euros who get stuffed and finish with no points and sometimes no goals so I don't think it will water down the quality that much to be honest.

Anyway people can't have it both ways, they can't complain about the greed at the top of the game and then begrudge smaller nations the opportunity of getting to a major finals. What I think the Nations League will do long term is to narrow the gap between the minnows and those further up the food chain which can only be a good thing.

Its easy to dismiss when you're an England fan or Germany fan or one of the other top nations thats always qualifies for major tournaments but spare a thought for a fan of one of these countries whose never qualified for anything and has only known decades of getting stuffed in every qualifying round with the occasional 0-0 draw all you can celebrate :)
Morbius

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Morbius wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:43 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:15 pm

I like the Nations League, its gives the smaller nations a realistic chance of making the Euro's, gives them something to play for, and it was great to see the fans reactions in some of the games. And I'm broadly a fan of the new Conference League for the same reason.

I can't see the point in doing that because all it creates is poor quality ties down the line and dead rubbers. I don't want Estonia for example in the euros unless they become good enough to earn it. They expanded the CL and now look where we are... Group after group where you can predict the qualifiers. I struggle to watch garbage in any sport especially when I'm being charged for it. You can't increase quality by expansion. Maybe its me and I'm not romantic enough as loads of people love a giant killer story but for every one of them there are thirty Germany 6 Andorra 0 scorelines. Imagine horseracing without the class/group system. I don't see what gifting a team a weak achievement in the finals does. If you want to expand the sport to help smaller teams and organisations then you can't expect the public to financially prop that up by paying for tripe at the same time. Maybe I'm too cynical :o

I personally couldn't be bothered watching the League A matches in the Nations League but I do watch it for the League C & D games just because I find them more exciting so you could argue its worth part of your subscription fee. Anyway I don't think Sky have increased their fee because of the Nations Lge. These teams aren't exactly being handed a place in the Euro's they still have to earn it through finishing top of their League and then going through a play off. Will the team that qualifies from League D for the Euro's get stuffed in the tournament proper? Yeah probably. But there are always teams who qualify for the Euros who get stuffed and finish with no points and sometimes no goals so I don't think it will water down the quality that much to be honest.

Anyway people can't have it both ways, they can't complain about the greed at the top of the game and then begrudge smaller nations the opportunity of getting to a major finals. What I think the Nations League will do long term is to narrow the gap between the minnows and those further up the food chain which can only be a good thing.

Its easy to dismiss when you're an England fan or Germany fan or one of the other top nations thats always qualifies for major tournaments but spare a thought for a fan of one of these countries whose never qualified for anything and has only known decades of getting stuffed in every qualifying round with the occasional 0-0 draw all you can celebrate :)

Don't forget Pat... I am a miserable bastard :lol:
Kai

Morbius wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:18 pm
I don't think you're miserable at all, if that helps :)
Trader Pat

Morbius wrote:

Sorry I forgot! :lol: :P
Trader Pat

interesting twist on the ESL saga and Downing Street's involvement....

https://twitter.com/cazjwheeler/status/ ... 5871827970
jimibt

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:20 pm

good twitter feed that one ;)
Archery1969

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:20 pm

Jesus, that really is sleaze and could be the end of BoJo if true. :o
Trader Pat

Boris might have plausible deniability but one thing from the past week I definitely don't believe is that Ed Woodward resigned in protest to the Super League
Morbius

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:28 pm
Boris might have plausible deniability but one thing from the past week I definitely don't believe is that Ed Woodward resigned in protest to the Super League

I didn't see that but if that's what was said I don't believe it either. To appease the fans they may have thought they had to give some sort of sacrificial offering. Can't sack anyone below Woodward and the owners won't sack themselves. I would wager he leaves with a huge undisclosed pay off
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:21 pm
Morbius wrote:
I don't think you're miserable at all, if that helps :)

Counsellor Kai.... a real credit to the forum ;)

Return to “Football trading”