European Super League

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Morbius

In response to something Derek said... Don't you find a fascinating correlation between the reaction to the ESL and over reactions in betting markets full stop to news items. Clearly the reaction had to be strong to get the message across but Derek's analogy with a failed military coup seems accurate to me

Thank god for the media and their love of a good story and their fantastic ability to blow something up to create value :)
Kai

Morbius wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:32 am
Don't you find a fascinating correlation between the reaction to the ESL and over reactions in betting markets full stop to news items.
Not really, think I'm used to the overractions by now, the markets get spooked if you so much as sneeze :lol:
Morbius

Fool proof plan to prevent the demonstrations (riots) tomorrow... Just spread the word that 200 spartak ultras are turning up :lol:
Morbius

I've spoken to two arsenal fans who wanted the ESL to happen. Well they would seeing as a 500m injection would elevate them to a level that arteta is never going to get them to or anybody else for that matter. Cause and effect... The cash MAY just have made arsenal "super" :lol:
Kai

Morbius wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:49 am
I've spoken to two arsenal fans who wanted the ESL to happen. Well they would seeing as a 500m injection would elevate them to a level that arteta is never going to get them to or anybody else for that matter. Cause and effect... The cash MAY just have made arsenal "super" :lol:
Well I spoke to BOTH of the Man City fans, and they were absolutely terrified of getting kicked out of CL when they finally have a chance of winning it :D
Kai

I have to be off if I'm going to wake up in time for the match, but I enjoyed the bants :lol:
Morbius

Yeah me too... Goodnight
The Silk Run

Morbius wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:53 am
Yeah me too... Goodnight
And me. Sweet dreams ...
Derek27

I've just been insulted by Susie Bonnieface on the Sky News press preview. She said of one of the Man Utd owners that if a man worth more than a billion goes around looking [dressed] like that, it shows money doesn't buy style or tastes.

I looked at the tabloid photo and he looked dressed much the same as I usually am! :lol:
Dublin_Flyer

Just curious what hypothetically, people think a hypothetical European Super League would actually turn out to be?

Personally when I heard of the clubs behind it, mostly foreign owned (UK side) or bordering broke as fxck (Continental side), and then hearing JP Morgan were fronting it (or refronting it if Kai's link to the German article is true) then it'd be money money money obviously, as in direct massive money immediately, front you now, and we own you bitch.

Sky are already balls deep in the Prem League, they started it, and they're responsible for the extortionate fees and wages that it has produced. They bigged up transfer deadline day all the time, bigger, bigger, more, more, until one thing stopped them. A purple dildo being waved around a Sky reporters head on deadline day. They won't bid against a huge competitor.
Virgin TV don't have the people smart enough to compete in a thumb war never mind a bidding rights war, so that leaves just a few with the finances to compete; DAZN, beIN, Appletv, Amazontv.

They still have ads though.
So to make it palatable for the tv/iptv rights holders (in my personal opinion) then 1 half time wouldn't be enough time to recoup the ads when Unknown team 1 (Rangers for example) play Unknown 2 (Ajax for example), or Liverpool play Unknown team 3 ....(probably team with the highest attendance or attention in their country, from nations that need a few quid.....maybe Anderlecht)

Gonna need 4 20 min quarters to fit enough ads in and turn a profit over all the games.
Sorry Trent Alexander-Arnold, you can't take this quick corner against Inter Milan because we're replaying one you did against....oh a different team. Never mind, here's an ad for Geico Insurance and another for getting your todger up if you're aged older than 70 and 30 stone, and a Ricky and Bicky Hot One Special 15.5 inch pizza with 6 toppings for this awesome soccer game with a free bucket of wings for $14.99 AAAAnd we're back to the game and it's a throw in at midfield....for the guys in yellow.

Offside is holding the game up when we don't have an ad break lined up, so we'll cancel offside. Maybe no draw matches and no penalty shoot outs, next goal wins. (Every lad knows that's your cup final moment when you get it!)

But back to reality, the legal documentation to sign up to a European Super League is probably not that much. But I'm sure there's a dirty long flipping huge contract every team in the Premier League signs when they entered it, or got promoted to it and signed, and said something along the lines of not competing for another league directly against our league and European positions......or you're out, players too. Probably page 274 article C, subsection iii of a 900 page contract kinda thing.
The speed with which all UK teams left the ESL makes me think something was spotted and they gave all the other UK lads the heads up, lest the Premier League come into it, and they had to get out of ESL as fast as fuck.

You only read it a few seconds ago and you can't remember how much the pizza was??? I need to do more ads in my messages :lol:
jamesg46

Archangel

The Champions League is basically already a super league as far as I can see. Money talks as they say

Wonder will many eyebrows be raised if Man City win it this season after somehow dodging a ban last year for blatant rule breaking. UEFA completly bottled that one
Kai

Solskjær: "I'm fully opposed to the American draft system. It leads to teams doing poorly on purpose to get better players. It goes against my principles as a sportsman."

That's certainly another big issue with it, I remember hearing about shenanigans like that. Tanking your own results to build a stronger squad is ridiculous.
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:56 pm
Solskjær: "I'm fully opposed to the American draft system. It leads to teams doing poorly on purpose to get better players. It goes against my principles as a sportsman."

That's certainly another big issue with it, I remember hearing about shenanigans like that. Tanking your own results to build a stronger squad is ridiculous.

What some of these owners fail to recognise is in how their tenure and ownership is similar to that of an occupying force after war has ended. They may have been "victorious" by getting to own such prestigious clubs but they have an ongoing duty and obligation to make sure that the traditions and infrastructure remain and also realise that the line between history and the present overlap and always has. With victory and ownership comes great responsibility otherwise civil war is coming towards you on the train lines.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:56 pm

Ole talking about stuff he doesn't understand again. Last season in the NFL is a great example why that's just not true. Picture the scene:

With 3 games of the regular season to go the New York Jets are 0-13, if they continue that run and lose their final 3 games they get the first pick in next weeks NFL draft. The #1 pick is nailed on to be Trevor Lawrence, being described as a generational talent and the Jets are on the cusp of having what's being called the most valuable #1 draft pick in history. The Jets fans are excited at the prospect, a team that only ever won one Superbowl back in the 60's are soon to be home to a potential superstar.

So what happens? Naturally the Jets win two of their last three games finishing with a record of 2-14 and hand the #1 draft pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars who finish with a record of 1-15! Fans go into meltdown and ring radio phone in shows asking how the team could have done this to them :lol:

Return to “Football trading”