European Super League

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
jamesg46

Archangel

The Champions League is basically already a super league as far as I can see. Money talks as they say

Wonder will many eyebrows be raised if Man City win it this season after somehow dodging a ban last year for blatant rule breaking. UEFA completly bottled that one
Kai

Solskjær: "I'm fully opposed to the American draft system. It leads to teams doing poorly on purpose to get better players. It goes against my principles as a sportsman."

That's certainly another big issue with it, I remember hearing about shenanigans like that. Tanking your own results to build a stronger squad is ridiculous.
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:56 pm
Solskjær: "I'm fully opposed to the American draft system. It leads to teams doing poorly on purpose to get better players. It goes against my principles as a sportsman."

That's certainly another big issue with it, I remember hearing about shenanigans like that. Tanking your own results to build a stronger squad is ridiculous.

What some of these owners fail to recognise is in how their tenure and ownership is similar to that of an occupying force after war has ended. They may have been "victorious" by getting to own such prestigious clubs but they have an ongoing duty and obligation to make sure that the traditions and infrastructure remain and also realise that the line between history and the present overlap and always has. With victory and ownership comes great responsibility otherwise civil war is coming towards you on the train lines.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:56 pm

Ole talking about stuff he doesn't understand again. Last season in the NFL is a great example why that's just not true. Picture the scene:

With 3 games of the regular season to go the New York Jets are 0-13, if they continue that run and lose their final 3 games they get the first pick in next weeks NFL draft. The #1 pick is nailed on to be Trevor Lawrence, being described as a generational talent and the Jets are on the cusp of having what's being called the most valuable #1 draft pick in history. The Jets fans are excited at the prospect, a team that only ever won one Superbowl back in the 60's are soon to be home to a potential superstar.

So what happens? Naturally the Jets win two of their last three games finishing with a record of 2-14 and hand the #1 draft pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars who finish with a record of 1-15! Fans go into meltdown and ring radio phone in shows asking how the team could have done this to them :lol:
Kai

Fenway Sports Group reject a £3billion bid from the Middle East for Liverpool FC : https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... y-23974917
greenmark

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:18 pm
Fenway Sports Group reject a £3billion bid from the Middle East for Liverpool FC : https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... y-23974917
How on earth can a "multimillion rich concern" buy a club worth billions. Not the old leveraged buy-out again. Flipping heck!
Plus, does a few flags around Anfield really amount to "the majority of fans want the relationship with the Americans to end."?
I certainly don't.
Henry struck me as genuinely contrite. Am I naive? Was he really saying "I'm sorry, I didn't realise you don't agree with my vision, so I'm off"?
Archery1969

Apparently the ESL is not dead. All 12 clubs signed binding contracts.

Don't think this is over yet. :o
wearthefoxhat

greenmark wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:57 pm
Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:18 pm
How on earth can a "multimillion rich concern" buy a club worth billions. Not the old leveraged buy-out again. Flipping heck!
Plus, does a few flags around Anfield really amount to "the majority of fans want the relationship with the Americans to end."?
I certainly don't.
Henry struck me as genuinely contrite. Am I naive? Was he really saying "I'm sorry, I didn't realise you don't agree with my vision, so I'm off"?
Would they take Bitcoin?...
Kai

In other news United fans are burning American flags in front of Old Trafford 👀
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:34 pm
In other news United fans are burning American flags in front of Old Trafford 👀
People need to calm the fcuk down.
greenmark

Perez.
"What we have done is taken a few weeks to reflect in light of the fury of certain people who don't want to lose their privileges and have manipulated the project."
What a d**k! You have governments, fans, football associations, players, managers, broadcasters, even the majority of your participants and Agnelli all lined up against you.
What is your major malfunction, numbnuts!
Trader Pat

Perez really wants to be the martyr of the ESL

Makes you wonder why he's so desperate for it to work, pretty sure its not just for the good of Real Madrid
Dublin_Flyer

greenmark wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 pm
Perez.
"What we have done is taken a few weeks to reflect in light of the fury of certain people who don't want to lose their privileges and have manipulated the project."
What a d**k! You have governments, fans, football associations, players, managers, broadcasters, even the majority of your participants and Agnelli all lined up against you.
Seven-six-two millimeter. Full metal jacket :D
greenmark

Dublin_Flyer wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:38 am
greenmark wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 pm
Perez.
Seven-six-two millimeter. Full metal jacket :D
Indeed. :-) Favourite war film alongside Saving Private Ryan. The beach landing sequence in SPR is pure genius. But I guess we're talking about 2 of the greatest directors ever.
Anyway.
The ESL is a crap idea, the new UEFA CL is a crap idea.
The only positive out of this is the govt are going to review football (in the uk , at least).
Ony problem being, they can't do anything unilaterally that would reduce the Premier clubs Euorpean competitiveness.
I honestly don't know what the answer to football's rancid reputation is.

Return to “Football trading”