European Super League

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Dallas

Announcement expected in the next few hours
Trader Pat

Its already being called 'The most seismic moment in European football for decades'
Euler

Most likely the end of football for fans. May as well have a few fixtures in the US now as well!
Dallas

Premier League are far from happy about it, already fired out letters to all clubs an hour or so ago with warnings about unilaterally joining it

Interesting few days/weeks ahead thats for sure
Trader Pat

The whole idea sounds ridiculous to me. There would be 20 teams involved, and only 5 of them would have to qualify, the other 15 would be permanent founding members so there would be no incentive to qualify through their league. And what doesn't make sense to me is the 'European' teams going along with making the English clubs even stronger.

I hope it doesn't happen.
Archery1969

Forgive me if I being thick but does that mean the Top 6 English clubs who have signed up to it will leave the Premmier League ? :roll:
Trader Pat

Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:55 pm
Forgive me if I being thick but does that mean the Top 6 English clubs who have signed up to it will leave the Premmier League ? :roll:

No that wasn't the plan but UEFA have issued a statement saying any teams who participate will be banned from domestic competition so that could end up being the price they pay.
Archery1969

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:58 pm
Archery1969 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:55 pm

No that wasn't the plan but UEFA have issued a statement saying any teams who participate will be banned from domestic competition so that could end up being the price they pay.
wow.

Could well be a big back lash from fans over this.
Trader Pat

I don't think its feasible. If it were to go ahead these teams would just end up playing each other every season, who wants to see that? Players would be essentially banned from playing international football too so I don't think it will happen.

With so many American owners in European football now they essentially want to have a European MLS, like the MLS it would just be a crap product but with better players.
Archery1969

The Top 6 should have zero points on Monday and effectively relegated to the Championship.

That would mean my team stay's up. :)
greenmark

Is this not just exactly like the formation of the Premier League?
It would just be a different format of the Champions League.
So its like two fingers up to UEFA. We can run this better than you.
The european league associations rallying in opposition/threats is what you would expect.
It's UEFA being marginalised and UEFA telling the subordinate organisations to fight against it.
Unless the various associations carry out their threat to exclude players from national/international compeition they have no way of stopping it.
Are they really going to follow through on those threats?
The best players in the world excluded, except for a 20 team league? Just think of the loss in global merchandising.
I imagine there's a lot 'conversations' going at corporate level right now.
Trader Pat

The big difference is the 15 founding members would be ever present, no need to qualify and no danger of missing out. Imo its the absolute worst aspect of American sports, no promotion or relegation.

I think its just the 'Top' teams trying to get a bigger slice of the pie from UEFA, again.
greenmark

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:42 pm
The big difference is the 15 founding members would be ever present, no need to qualify and no danger of missing out. Imo its the absolute worst aspect of American sports, no promotion or relegation.

I think its just the 'Top' teams trying to get a bigger slice of the pie from UEFA, again.
Really. 15 clubs stay there forever? And only 5 places are up for grabs? I've been googling like crazy to establish the details.
If what you say is correct, it's flipping atrocious!
I might have to do what a friend of mine did and stick a pin in a map of his local area and then support them. And cancel my Sky Sport sub.
LeTiss

These owners only understand balance sheets

They are foreigners. The game isn't in their blood, their heart and souls.......they don't remember going to their first game as a kid, because they never went at all. They underestimate how the average fan of those 6 clubs will feel about this. They are about to have a rude awakening
greenmark

Gary Neville on Sky is going to burst! :-) Fair play to him though!

Return to “Football trading”