European Super League

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Morbius

Kai wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:34 pm
In other news United fans are burning American flags in front of Old Trafford 👀
People need to calm the fcuk down.
greenmark

Perez.
"What we have done is taken a few weeks to reflect in light of the fury of certain people who don't want to lose their privileges and have manipulated the project."
What a d**k! You have governments, fans, football associations, players, managers, broadcasters, even the majority of your participants and Agnelli all lined up against you.
What is your major malfunction, numbnuts!
Trader Pat

Perez really wants to be the martyr of the ESL

Makes you wonder why he's so desperate for it to work, pretty sure its not just for the good of Real Madrid
Dublin_Flyer

greenmark wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 pm
Perez.
"What we have done is taken a few weeks to reflect in light of the fury of certain people who don't want to lose their privileges and have manipulated the project."
What a d**k! You have governments, fans, football associations, players, managers, broadcasters, even the majority of your participants and Agnelli all lined up against you.
Seven-six-two millimeter. Full metal jacket :D
greenmark

Dublin_Flyer wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:38 am
greenmark wrote:
Perez.
Indeed. :-) Favourite war film alongside Saving Private Ryan. The beach landing sequence in SPR is pure genius. But I guess we're talking about 2 of the greatest directors ever.
Anyway.
The ESL is a crap idea, the new UEFA CL is a crap idea.
The only positive out of this is the govt are going to review football (in the uk , at least).
Ony problem being, they can't do anything unilaterally that would reduce the Premier clubs Euorpean competitiveness.
I honestly don't know what the answer to football's rancid reputation is.
Morbius

greenmark wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:00 pm
Dublin_Flyer wrote:
greenmark wrote:
Perez.
Indeed. :-) Favourite war film alongside Saving Private Ryan. The beach landing sequence in SPR is pure genius. But I guess we're talking about 2 of the greatest directors ever.
Anyway.
The only positive out of this is the govt are going to review football (in the uk , at least).
Ony problem being, they can't do anything unilaterally that would reduce the Premier clubs Euorpean competitiveness.

They will never stop wringing money out of fans as long as fans allow it. It isn't just one organisation either... They all do it. Some of it slips under the radar. UEFA have expanded the euros several times and FIFA ditto with the WC. Then we had the extension to the CL... championship play offs. Nations league. World club championship in the pipeline.... It will never ever stop
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:59 pm
greenmark wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:00 pm
Dublin_Flyer wrote:

Anyway.

They will never stop wringing money out of fans as long as fans allow it. It isn't just one organisation either... They all do it. Some of it slips under the radar. UEFA have expanded the euros several times and FIFA ditto with the WC. Then we had the extension to the CL... championship play offs. Nations league. World club championship in the pipeline.... It will never ever stop
I remember when football meant: stadiums that weren't fit for animals; hooligansim; concept of family-friendly was ridiculous; occasional tragically lethal events. All that has thankfullu changed. But what remains, even with smart business people involved, is the willingness to take the increased revenue (massively) and still end up endebted and fearful of the consequences of relegation.
I think regulation is possibly a solution, but there's no doubt, the CL (or equivalent} pulls in valuable revenue. And I just can't see how you can stop the excesses without wrecking Premier League clubs chances in Europe.
Trader Pat

Morbius wrote:

I like the Nations League, its gives the smaller nations a realistic chance of making the Euro's, gives them something to play for, and it was great to see the fans reactions in some of the games. And I'm broadly a fan of the new Conference League for the same reason.
Morbius

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:15 pm
Morbius wrote:

I like the Nations League, its gives the smaller nations a realistic chance of making the Euro's, gives them something to play for, and it was great to see the fans reactions in some of the games. And I'm broadly a fan of the new Conference League for the same reason.

I can't see the point in doing that because all it creates is poor quality ties down the line and dead rubbers. I don't want Estonia for example in the euros unless they become good enough to earn it. They expanded the CL and now look where we are... Group after group where you can predict the qualifiers. I struggle to watch garbage in any sport especially when I'm being charged for it. You can't increase quality by expansion. Maybe its me and I'm not romantic enough as loads of people love a giant killer story but for every one of them there are thirty Germany 6 Andorra 0 scorelines. Imagine horseracing without the class/group system. I don't see what gifting a team a weak achievement in the finals does. If you want to expand the sport to help smaller teams and organisations then you can't expect the public to financially prop that up by paying for tripe at the same time. Maybe I'm too cynical :o
greenmark

Morbius wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:43 pm
Trader Pat wrote:
Morbius wrote:

I can't see the point in doing that because all it creates is poor quality ties down the line and dead rubbers. I don't want Estonia for example in the euros unless they become good enough to earn it. They expanded the CL and now look where we are... Group after group where you can predict the qualifiers. I struggle to watch garbage in any sport especially when I'm being charged for it. You can't increase quality by expansion. Maybe its me and I'm not romantic enough as loads of people love a giant killer story but for every one of them there are thirty Germany 6 Andorra 0 scorelines. Imagine horseracing without the class/group system. I don't see what gifting a team a weak achievement in the finals does. If you want to expand the sport to help smaller teams and organisations then you can't expect the public to financially prop that up by paying for tripe at the same time. Maybe I'm too cynical :o
Isn't part of the idea to motivate players/clubs/countries that previously would have no chance of participating? So 1 season or tournament is nothing, but over the years it mobilises whatever potential is out there. After all. Football etc are just the icing on the cake of human endeavour. A roof, food, water, heat, clothing are the basics. Everything else is a bonus.
Trader Pat

Morbius wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

I personally couldn't be bothered watching the League A matches in the Nations League but I do watch it for the League C & D games just because I find them more exciting so you could argue its worth part of your subscription fee. Anyway I don't think Sky have increased their fee because of the Nations Lge. These teams aren't exactly being handed a place in the Euro's they still have to earn it through finishing top of their League and then going through a play off. Will the team that qualifies from League D for the Euro's get stuffed in the tournament proper? Yeah probably. But there are always teams who qualify for the Euros who get stuffed and finish with no points and sometimes no goals so I don't think it will water down the quality that much to be honest.

Anyway people can't have it both ways, they can't complain about the greed at the top of the game and then begrudge smaller nations the opportunity of getting to a major finals. What I think the Nations League will do long term is to narrow the gap between the minnows and those further up the food chain which can only be a good thing.

Its easy to dismiss when you're an England fan or Germany fan or one of the other top nations thats always qualifies for major tournaments but spare a thought for a fan of one of these countries whose never qualified for anything and has only known decades of getting stuffed in every qualifying round with the occasional 0-0 draw all you can celebrate :)
Morbius

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Morbius wrote:
Trader Pat wrote:

I personally couldn't be bothered watching the League A matches in the Nations League but I do watch it for the League C & D games just because I find them more exciting so you could argue its worth part of your subscription fee. Anyway I don't think Sky have increased their fee because of the Nations Lge. These teams aren't exactly being handed a place in the Euro's they still have to earn it through finishing top of their League and then going through a play off. Will the team that qualifies from League D for the Euro's get stuffed in the tournament proper? Yeah probably. But there are always teams who qualify for the Euros who get stuffed and finish with no points and sometimes no goals so I don't think it will water down the quality that much to be honest.

Anyway people can't have it both ways, they can't complain about the greed at the top of the game and then begrudge smaller nations the opportunity of getting to a major finals. What I think the Nations League will do long term is to narrow the gap between the minnows and those further up the food chain which can only be a good thing.

Its easy to dismiss when you're an England fan or Germany fan or one of the other top nations thats always qualifies for major tournaments but spare a thought for a fan of one of these countries whose never qualified for anything and has only known decades of getting stuffed in every qualifying round with the occasional 0-0 draw all you can celebrate :)

Don't forget Pat... I am a miserable bastard :lol:
Kai

Morbius wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:18 pm
I don't think you're miserable at all, if that helps :)
Trader Pat

Morbius wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Sorry I forgot! :lol: :P
Trader Pat

interesting twist on the ESL saga and Downing Street's involvement....

https://twitter.com/cazjwheeler/status/ ... 5871827970

Return to “Football trading”