Euro 2020

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
jamesedwards

Moving on from the depressing headline moment of this thread; wasn't it nice to have an entire tournament without not-stop VAR interruptions and stupid disallowed goals? Was lovely being able to celebrate goals as they were scored again instead of waiting for kick-off before you could be sure. The Premier League has much to learn from the officialdom of the last four weeks.
Tuco

...it was unfair on the bit-part players to expect them to come on for a minute, then take a high pressure penalty - should have been those much more involved - Sterling and Grealish for starters and even Shawberto!
The Silk Run

Morbius wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:17 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:12 pm
Excuse my ignorance but why are some England players taking their medals off as soon as they're given them?
Because it's a stupid new thing that players do Derek which started around 5 years ago. It angers me that. The young kids copy it with this I'm not satisfied with any result but winning gesture.. Losing should be done with grace and humility
Sport is a cruel game, all sport. I do agree it was rather distasteful, poor sportsmanship. After all they had achieved ...
The Silk Run

Kai wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:06 am
Hope people had a good tournament trading-wise at least, was a good market tonight but shame no winning goal at the end. The final concludes this chapter for me and I'm looking forward to a proper break now. Enjoy your summer 🍻 ☀️

VWD Kai, that is a FANTASTIC result, thank you for sharing your achievements.
+10 ♡
Tuco

"...if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same"

...which is what it says above the glass doors as you enter Centre Court at the A.E.L.T.C.
Derek27

Kai wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:06 am
Hope people had a good tournament trading-wise at least, was a good market tonight but shame no winning goal at the end. The final concludes this chapter for me and I'm looking forward to a proper break now. Enjoy your summer 🍻 ☀️

Nice one Kai. :D
rik

Screenshot (1189).png
Layed 1.42 before last penalty, someone was confident betting big on Italy after England missed the first one, maybe I was the mug opposing him
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Derek27

I think it's time we confine 1966 to history, like 1066, and just look to the future. First it was 30 years of hurt, now it's 55 years of hurt. Nobody wants their decedents singing 500 years of hurt!
rik

Someone followed the win market during penalty shoot out? Its really a noticeable statistical advantage shooting first in a penalty shoot out? Price went from about evens to almost 60-40 and after England missed the one someone was massively backing Italy pushing price down to 1.4 before the last penalty. If you compare to the other penalty shoot outs price went 1,7 range when first team to shoot scored.
Cant decide if it was smart money moving the price like that
Derek27

rik wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:53 am
Someone followed the win market during penalty shoot out? Its really a noticeable statistical advantage shooting first in a penalty shoot out? Price went from about evens to almost 60-40 and after England missed the one someone was massively backing Italy pushing price down to 1.4 before the last penalty. If you compare to the other penalty shoot outs price went 1,7 range when first team to shoot scored.
There's smart money in pre-off horse racing. What's smart money in a penalty shootout? Everybody can see what the situation is?
rik

Well maybe you have to put the chance of someone like Saka missing in that situation with all the pressure significantly higher than a usual penalty and if you think about it 1.42 seems low but its about 70% implied chance so it would make him 71,5% to score if you thought England were an evens chance after him scoring but you probably had to put England underdog even afterwards, so even if you had put him 80% to score that would make it 56-44 from there on and 80% definitely too high
rik

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:09 am
rik wrote:
There's smart money in pre-off horse racing. What's smart money in a penalty shootout? Everybody can see what the situation is?
I dont mean smart money in terms of insider knowledge or something like that, just in terms of betting with a plan/edge.
Derek27

rik wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:29 am
Derek27 wrote:
rik wrote:
I dont mean smart money in terms of insider knowledge or something like that, just in terms of betting with a plan/edge.
Were you trading or placing a bet? I would have thought the difference between a smart price and a mug price, when a penalty is about to be taken is quite a slim margin.
Morbius

I said at the outset that England would not win a major tournament with Southgate in charge and I was very close to being wrong. But I can't help feeling this near miss and the semi in Russia glosses over his inadequacies and he gets by because of a very talented squad.

England have had a lot of decent results in this tournament but Spain beat Germany 6-0 not long ago and Croatia are not at the same level as they were in 2018 plus we were at home. Italy had 19 goal attempts to our 6 which shows they deserved it. For me it was like watching a repeat of the Croatia semi final.

Southgate looked like a deer caught in the headlights. It was obvious five to ten minutes in that second half that the momentum had shifted. England have a track record of going defensive against a top class side after taking a lead. This is not hindsight. Read my timeline posts on this thread.

We needed a player who could keep possession and win us set pieces up the park. Grealish is the most fouled player in the Prem two years running. It was pointless bringing Sako on at that late stage and penalty shootouts are not lotteries and I wish people would stop calling them that. We were underdogs in that shootout for the reasons I stated before it started.

I didn't see any progression in this tournament in terms of Southgate changing a game that's going against him while his team is leading. Being defensive and unsure in key moments reflects his lack of big game experience and is probably in his DNA.
rik

Derek27 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:00 am
rik wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:29 am
Derek27 wrote:

Were you trading or placing a bet? I would have thought the difference between a smart price and a mug price, when a penalty is about to be taken is quite a slim margin.
Yes I would have thought margins are slim in a penalty shoutout thats why I opposed. Generally if a big bet changes the price significantly in a liquid market I think its a good idea to oppose. Think the first 200k or so got eaten up by the market but he (probably same account) kept placing big bets on Italy.
Derek27 wrote:

Were you trading or placing a bet?
As long as market biased for Italy due to this guy trading out wouldnt make sense would it, shouldnt have bet in the first place then. If England got back close to evens I would have.

Return to “Football trading”