Euro 2020

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Kai

Derek27 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:20 pm
:lol: The Spanish fans threw their arms up in the air, only to bring them down onto their heads.
They are lucky Spain isn't disqualified from the tournament for fielding a French center-back.
Trader Pat

Biggest reason for me for Spain's problems is no Ramos.. can't believe Enrique didn't include him in the squad. Love him or hate him he's a proper leader

Morata is playing in the wrong era.. if he played 40 years ago he'd be a legend but being just a goal scorer isn't enough in the modern game and he offers nothing else
Trader Pat

Really loving how the Euro's has handled VAR especially the offside calls, like other European leagues they chose not to show the lines when checking offside calls.

Not showing the lines is what the Premier League should have done. Instead they showed them leading to everyone getting pissed off and now their introducing thicker lines which will still piss people off. Talk about having to fix a problem that didn't exist in the first place!
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:38 am
Really loving how the Euro's has handled VAR
Malignant or not it's still absolute cancer for football. Someone needs to start a KICK IT OUT campaign.

Even Schick who scored that insane goal against Scotland wasn't sure if there was something wrong with it SMH

Bring back human error.
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:45 am
Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:38 am
Really loving how the Euro's has handled VAR
Malignant or not it's still absolute cancer for football. Someone needs to start a KICK IT OUT campaign.

Even Schick who scored that insane goal against Scotland wasn't sure if there was something wrong with it SMH

Bring back human error.

I'd definitely streamline it but wouldn't get rid of it completely.
Kai

Goal-line technology is where the line should have been drawn, so to speak. What more could we want?

Eliminating ref mistakes is a step too far, huge calls are being made by people who aren't even on the pitch. I thought it might be good a couple years ago but hurts the game too much.

It's slowly kicking out that raw emotion out of football, no decision is final until it gets double-checked or triple-checked.
Derek27

Got time to get to the supermarket today and an hour to get back. :D
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:11 pm
Goal-line technology is where the line should have been drawn, so to speak. What more could we want?

Eliminating ref mistakes is a step too far, huge calls are being made by people who aren't even on the pitch. I thought it might be good a couple years ago but hurts the game too much.

It's slowly kicking out that raw emotion out of football, no decision is final until it gets double-checked or triple-checked.
I think what VAR has proven beyond doubt is that the job of a linesman is guesswork and they're fast becoming obsolete. There's technology being trialled that will replace linesmen completely so I think we'll get to the point where VAR will be able to spot an offside in real time and will do away with the need to use lines and 3-4 minutes to review the footage back to see if its offside. IF they build a little wiggle room into that model to give more benefit of the doubt to the attacker then I think that would be great for the game.

Also if they actually enforced the clear and obvious part of VAR rather than reviewing everything then that would be a start.

If they got rid of VAR tomorrow the same people advocating to get rid of it would then be bitching about lack of technology as soon as their team was on the wrong end of a decision.
wearthefoxhat

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:44 pm
Kai wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:11 pm

I think what VAR has proven beyond doubt is that the job of a linesman is guesswork and they're fast becoming obsolete. There's technology being trialled that will replace linesmen completely so I think we'll get to the point where VAR will be able to spot an offside in real time and will do away with the need to use lines and 3-4 minutes to review the footage back to see if its offside. IF they build a little wiggle room into that model to give more benefit of the doubt to the attacker then I think that would be great for the game.

Also if they actually enforced the clear and obvious part of VAR rather than reviewing everything then that would be a start.

If they got rid of VAR tomorrow the same people advocating to get rid of it would then be bitching about lack of technology as soon as their team was on the wrong end of a decision.

In the UK, the VAR back room teams have too much say over the on-field referee decisions, forgetting it stands for:
(Video ASSISTANT Referee). That mindset has to change for it to be of any use to the game.

In the Euros, it seems that the on-field referee is more confident that his decisions will not be challenged, when they are and it's suggested he checks the monitor, it seems he goes with the VAR suggestion and trusts he/she may have missed something. (after a check)

This also gives Betfair a fair chance at suspending the market properly, and a trader the chance to anticipate there may be a VAR check if the referee may have missed something. If the game goes on, then cancel the trade.
Kai

As a simple football fan I just want to celebrate goals properly again, players on the pitch feel the same. Don't care how but needs to get sorted out.
Trader Pat

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:11 pm
In the Euros, it seems that the on-field referee is more confident that his decisions will not be challenged, when they are and it's suggested he checks the monitor, it seems he goes with the VAR suggestion and trusts he/she may have missed something. (after a check)
Not just the Euro's but in Italy, Germany etc that's how they use VAR

The Premier League have for some reason done it their own way and made a balls of it
Trader Pat

Kai wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:21 pm
As a simple football fan I just want to celebrate goals properly again, players on the pitch feel the same. Don't care how but needs to get sorted out.
Yeah but on the flip side how great does it feel when the opposition score a goal and it gets ruled out?! :D

Remember the Liverpool - Newcastle game where they scored an equaliser in injury time and it was cancelled by VAR? That felt great! :lol: I know Newcastle equalised in the end but I sill enjoyed that moment!
Kai

Trader Pat wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:42 pm
Kai wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:21 pm
Yeah but on the flip side how great does it feel when the opposition score a goal and it gets ruled out?! :D

Remember the Liverpool - Newcastle game where they scored an equaliser in injury time and it was cancelled by VAR? That felt great! :lol: I know Newcastle equalised in the end but I sill enjoyed that moment!
Yeah, those are new feelings for sure :D Not all bad, but still a bad trade-off I think.
JTEDL

Ukraine v Austria tomorrow - draw price 2.08/2.1, and 0-0 is 4.6/4.9 ;)
Derek27

The Sol Campbell goal that was disallowed in a world cup was the death nail to the anti-VAR campaign.

Return to “Football trading”