Do more people like to Back than lay on BF?

Football, Soccer - whatever you call it. It is the beautiful game.
Brovashift

Hi all,

Im currently reading through "Mastering Betfair trading" trying to understand the pre KO U/O2.5 trading strategy. Don't know if anyone is familiar with this, I am current stuck on stage 4.

But my question is regarding somthing that was mentioned in this strategy; that most punters using Betfair prefer to back than lay? Is that correct?

In the strategy he is looking to Back the under 2.5 goals, but says placing this order would mean his stake would be waiting to get matched on the lay side. So instead he lays the Over 2.5 market which is the same, but now his order is waiting on the Back side where its a lot more likely to be matched quicker.

Is there any truth in this that there are more backers on betfair, and if so, how can that be when if e.g. there is backing to one market, the other related market will inevitably move in the opposite direction due the the overround/book percentages?

TIA
Realrocknrolla

Brovashift wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:09 pm
Hi all,

Im currently reading through "Mastering Betfair trading" trying to understand the pre KO U/O2.5 trading strategy. Don't know if anyone is familiar with this, I am current stuck on stage 4.

But my question is regarding somthing that was mentioned in this strategy; that most punters using Betfair prefer to back than lay? Is that correct?

In the strategy he is looking to Back the under 2.5 goals, but says placing this order would mean his stake would be waiting to get matched on the lay side. So instead he lays the Over 2.5 market which is the same, but now his order is waiting on the Back side where its a lot more likely to be matched quicker.

Is there any truth in this that there are more backers on betfair, and if so, how can that be when if e.g. there is backing to one market, the other related market will inevitably move in the opposite direction due the the overround/book percentages?

TIA
I would of thought that when the match kicks off there would be more people backing the Under 2.5 goals as the price more often than not comes in.

Depending on the match activities would also determine which side someone will play on.

I personally enter this market down to other factors such as average goal time.

Sometimes I wait a while and see what is happening in the match to decide what If and when I want to get involved.

Always looking for an opportunity 😉
dm1900

This doesn't make sense due to cross matching. If you place a passive Back in the unders, it'll show up as a Lay in the overs and visa versa.
Euler

Pete Nordsted was a former student of mine and took this straight out of my coursebook and a few other things, verbatim. But as the previous poster has pointed out, this is no longer relevant due to cross-matching. Old information, especially plagiarised, is usually duff information.
Emmson

Euler wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:31 pm
Pete Nordsted was a former student of mine and took this straight out of my coursebook and a few other things, verbatim. But as the previous poster has pointed out, this is no longer relevant due to cross-matching. Old information, especially plagiarised, is usually duff information.
In 2008 I bought Mastering Betfair by Pete Nordsted, that was the year I opened my account

Absolute Garbage!
Brovashift

Ah, well that explains a lot then lol. It was a pdf I downloaded from somewhere, glad I didn't pay for it :) .
That's going straight in the trash bin [Deleted].
LinusP

Yes they do, as mentioned quantifying it is tricky.
ShaunWhite

LinusP wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:07 pm
Yes they do, as mentioned quantifying it is tricky.
My best approximation is that twice as many back than lay, but obv for about half the size per transaction.

The pyramid of punter sophistication might be.
Back takers.
Back offers.
Lay takers.
Lay offers.
Derek27

The question in the title refers to 'people' but the first post refers to 'punters'. I'm sure punters predominantly back along with the recreationals but their turnover would be small compared to traders.

Return to “Football trading”